I have bit the bullet

Reaction score
Just you let you all know I am enjoying and learning slowly Mint 7.1 64bit OS I think previously I was expecting Linux to work the same as Windows but of course it is not. I am learning very slowly but enjoying very slowly and some of it is a bit confusing to start with for a ex spoon fed Windows user so slowly, slowly catchey monkey. I would just like to thank you all on PC Review for your support and help. As things are at the moment I do not think I will be returning to the Microsoft fold any time soon. Once again thank you all for the support you have given me.:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hey gents, I have an Asus Sonar DG and not the DS, so maybe the DG works ok and the DS doesn't in Linux.

I think the DG currently sells for around £23 and imo for the money can't be bettered.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
My DS did work on Arch. Do not use it at the moment as I have no time to reinstall it. It certainly made a difference compared to the onboard. :cool:

Reaction score
:cry::cry::cry:Sorry to report:eek:that I am back in the Microcrap fold yet again. :cry::wall:. I could not get on with this command thingy and crashed the PC :eek:. I reinstalled the HD I had W10 on and have to admit defeat. I loved the ethisitics of Mint but spent hours and the midnight oil trying to master the distro. Thanks to all for your help and giving up your time to answer my question, but I admit defeat so back to W10 with my tail betewn my legs. Once again thank you all for the help. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
aw, sorry to here that bootneck ... what were you trying to do?

maybe try again sometime. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
As Mucks said - just what were you trying to do on the command line?

Mint is built for total newbs (like me) and it's very very rare you have to enter command lines in Mint.

I've used it for 4 years now and have never had a serious issue, certainly none that have caused a crash or freeze.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Well at least you had the sense to keep both operating systems on separate drives. When you have regrouped and rearmed you can have another go. :thumb:
Remember you did not fail, you learnt another way of how not to do something :lol:

Reaction score
Thanks all for the comiserations and the encoragement. I will have another bash once I have recovered and recouped. :nod::cheers:;)

Reaction score
Well after installing Linux Mint 7.2 about two weeks ago I have to report I am finding that is a great replacement for windows. The first thing you have to do is forget everything about Windows the second thing is take things slowly and do not be impatient. When the download is complete you will find that most the software that you require is already installed but if you require more software there is a very large depositary of extra aps available. I have not missed Windows 10 at all in fact I have found the experience rather exhilarating that as a silver surfer rather exciting and easy. The one reason for getting out of Microsoft's clutches was the expense of the additional software and security you need to run the computer safely. The other reason I was against the data mining that Microsoft was doing even though within the control panel you had switched it off I thought that should not be right that that should happen that my emails and addresses could be looked at and who I purchased goods from. I did at one time reinstall Windows 8.1 but got a load of adverts to update to W10 and a load of updates which I did not trust that they not data mining software so then unstalled W8.1 Crossed my fingers and went for Linux Mint and do not regret the decision. If I can do it anyone can. One very happy bunny here:thumb::thumb::thumb::bow::cheers:

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
The one reason for getting out of Microsoft's clutches was the expense of the additional software and security you need to run the computer safely.

The only real thing needed to run a computer safely is common sense :rolleyes:

data mining that Microsoft was doing

Really no different to what they have always been doing, except now they have been a bit more honest and told us about it.
And if data mining is really such a big issue then best just not use the internet. Google are the biggest when it comes to data mining and it is almost impossible if not completely impossible to get away from Google. :eek:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
their Those bots are out there, they are everywhere, minions sent by their corporate mothership, some will return with valuable booty others will fall by the wayside whilst some will even commit hari-kari. The bots want you...

I think a little more than common sense is needed not to get nobbled on t'net, at least a little experience and insider knowledge is required which usually occurs through experience. Unless, as a newb surfer, you're lucky enough to have a friend or colleague ready with good advice - that you heed.

Mint's a piece o cake innit? :D

btw, there's a software program or two out there now that enable you to turn off all MS's privacy-busters within Win 10, merely by ticking a series of boxes and one of them doesn't even install. I knew they'd arrive eventually....

Trouble is, names escape me atm, I'll try and find links again, I didn't bookmark cos me no using Win 10 just yet.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Microsoft is bad, Google is bad for you, the Internet was the Devil's incarnation and chocolate will kill you ... keep taking the pills and your PC heath will be restored. :lol:

Hey, you's happy, enjoy! :thumb:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score

Really no different to what they have always been doing, except now they have been a bit more honest and told us about it.
And if data mining is really such a big issue then best just not use the internet. Google are the biggest when it comes to data mining and it is almost impossible if not completely impossible to get away from Google. :eek:

This. Google, Facebook, Apple to name a few all just as bad if not worse that Microsoft..

btw, there's a software program or two out there now that enable you to turn off all MS's privacy-busters within Win 10, merely by ticking a series of boxes and one of them doesn't even install. I knew they'd arrive eventually....
Think I posted them in the win 10 sub somewhere, I can't remember the names either tbh!

Reaction score

I do not use Google I use Ixquix

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Well after installing Linux Mint 7.2 about two weeks ago I have to report I am finding that is a great replacement for windows. The first thing you have to do is forget everything about Windows the second thing is take things slowly and do not be impatient. When the download is complete you will find that most the software that you require is already installed but if you require more software there is a very large depositary of extra aps available. I have not missed Windows 10 at all in fact I have found the experience rather exhilarating that as a silver surfer rather exciting and easy. The one reason for getting out of Microsoft's clutches was the expense of the additional software and security you need to run the computer safely. The other reason I was against the data mining that Microsoft was doing even though within the control panel you had switched it off I thought that should not be right that that should happen that my emails and addresses could be looked at and who I purchased goods from. I did at one time reinstall Windows 8.1 but got a load of adverts to update to W10 and a load of updates which I did not trust that they not data mining software so then unstalled W8.1 Crossed my fingers and went for Linux Mint and do not regret the decision. If I can do it anyone can. One very happy bunny here:thumb::thumb::thumb::bow::cheers:

Great stuff . Glad you are a happy penguin.:dance:

Here is a site that details what programs are replacements for Windows programs,

http://linuxappfinder.com/alternatives

If you look under the CATEGORIES list at the left you will see a lot of choices for programs that do different things, say , audio players. It is a nice easy to read listing. I find it best to go to the home page of any offering to see if it still actively developed before I install. Also the home sites usually give screen shots and a features list which helps me decide if I want the program or not

:cool:

Ask a Question