I have bit the bullet

Reaction score
Hi everyone tomorow I am going to go off line and install Zorin Ultimate 64bit so will be off line for a while. Oh just looked at the time so it will be today. But I will resume crunching as soon as possible.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
aye, good luck!

:)

thread may read strange due to spammer's threads being deleted

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
images.jpg

muckshifter

Reaction score
ooh ooh, I know ALL the words the that one ... :)

Reaction score
Well downloaded Zorin 9 all seems to be OK the only thing I haven’t got sound or email ( I have forgotten my password )but I will rectify that tomorrow with my internet provider. The sound must be the drivers so will see if the Zorin help desk can help on that one. What I did rather than losing W10 altogether I removed the W10 drive and installed a spare 1.5 tb drive so if I had real problems I could reinstall it but I genuine do not trust Microsoft's motives on privacy even although I have altered the settings there is nothing stopping Microsoft to alter them with a update in the future and as I have no control over that and do not see what it has to do with them who I an emailing or what I search on my search engine when I shop so they can start selling that information to whom they wish.
So yes the download has gone OK except for the sound, so all I have to do is rectify that, install WCG and get the emails up and running and all will be OK.:user::user::user::dance::dance::dance::dance:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I will agree Microsoft's insistence on having open house to the entire contents of your computer is a bit off-putting, it's one of the reasons I'm delaying my switch to Win 10. But I think I will eventually use Win 10, if nothing else just to be able to use latest MS DX for gaming.

I'll just keep all the stuff I'd rather other people weren't privy to on another OS, and atm this would be Mint 17.

And the longer I postpone Win 10 install the better the chances are the hackers/boffins/goodfellas will come up with mods to block MS's nosiness although I'm not all that hopeful about this one.

I know I've said it before but why don't you try Mint instead of Zorin Mr Bootneck?

I've tried both and believe me, Mint is so much easier to use, more stable, and has less trouble enabling hardware automatically.

I'm not sure why you're so fond of Zorin but Mint is definitely worth a try.

AV_Linux is also pretty good for media-oriented systems.

Reaction score
OK I got the sound just needed a reboot, can I as I am using 1.5 tb drive dual boot Mint with Zorin? one thing I like about Zorin it has many different software bundled with it.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
That's the one I'm using though I think mine is currently V17.1, I need to upgrade.

Mint comes bundled with lots of software but if the one you want isn't there it's mostly easy to install via the software manager.

I'm not sure how you'd dual boot the two, I've never tried it.

I have dual booted Mint with Windows in the past though, that was straightforward.

But currently using different OS's on different HDD's using a caddy.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Well downloaded Zorin 9 all seems to be OK the only thing I haven’t got sound or email ( I have forgotten my password )but I will rectify that tomorrow with my internet provider. The sound must be the drivers so will see if the Zorin help desk can help on that one. What I did rather than losing W10 altogether I removed the W10 drive and installed a spare 1.5 tb drive so if I had real problems I could reinstall it but I genuine do not trust Microsoft's motives on privacy even although I have altered the settings there is nothing stopping Microsoft to alter them with a update in the future and as I have no control over that and do not see what it has to do with them who I an emailing or what I search on my search engine when I shop so they can start selling that information to whom they wish.
So yes the download has gone OK except for the sound, so all I have to do is rectify that, install WCG and get the emails up and running and all will be OK.:user::user::user::dance::dance::dance::dance:

wpid-tin-foil-hat.jpg

muckshifter

Reaction score
Tin hats don't work ... unless you ground them. :)

observation from experience

Reaction score
Well hang my head in shame, looks like I am staying with Microsoft after all:cry::blush::eek:. I tried to download Zorin went on OK but no sound and after advice from Mr Flops took that off and installed Linux Mint, then downloaded WCG then it wanted to be installed got flummoxed about command line or something, gave up went to bed at 4am and now put back the drive with W10 on it.and there it will stay. :blush::blush::blush::blush::blush::blush:

muckshifter

Reaction score
looks like I am staying with Microsoft after all

hey, don't put yourself down, at least you had a go ... :)

err, just to maybe make you feel a wee bit better ...

I put OpenSuse, a Linux Distro I like and know, onto my HP laptop ... well, it installed, but dammed if I could use any mouse or keyboard properly ... now have Win 10 Pro, clean installed, back up-n-running sweet as a nut. Minus all the phone-home junk.

I was looking forward to using OpenSuse again ... :rolleyes:

:user:

Reaction score
I suppose if Linux was not so how can I put it without offending anyone, so geekey and not simple to operate many other Windows users would change over to a Linux system. I remember in the late 70's sitting on my son's the bed reading out from a booklet numbers so he could program his ZX81, now he is a BBC engineer project manager. At that time I had no interest in computing, now I couldent do without it. As long as it just works and that is why Microsoft have cornered the market, it works out of the box. I tried to download WCG and was given a source code to enter I did not know where to put it (now, now dont be rude) and what the hell is a source code, all that should be needed that it downloads and operates like any other piece of kit. I or any one else I would have thought that it should have the code or whatever to download its self as it would in Mac or Windows. Oh well enough of the rant it is now back to Windows.

Ask a Question