I found a sound fix (sorta)

I have Windows Vista Home Premium and was having trouble getting my
headphones to work. I would just like to mention what worked for me in hopes
that it could help others. When you go to sound in the control panel, it
should say that your speakers are functioning properly. If you plug in your
headphones while this screen is up, it should bring up the headphones symbol.
I found that you have to disable the speakers and enable the headphones to
get the headphones to work. For some reason, you cannot have both
functioning at the same time. Before you open Itunes or Windows Media
Player, make sure that one is disabled and the other one is enabled. This
must be done before you enter One of the media programs. I suppose we will
wait for service pack one hoping that it will fix this problem.

To disable the headphones or the speakers, double click on either icon go to
the bottom of the screen where it says "Device usage" open the menu to
disable or enable the device. Remember to have one disabled and the other
one enabled before you go to your desired Music Program. Hope this helps!!
Im happy that we have groups like this where we can all figure this stuff out
together.

PTravel

The exact same problem. said:
[...]

I'm glad that you've found a solution for your problem. However, please
understand that it is far from universal -- my guess is that it may be, at
minimum, laptop specific. My Sony Vaio SZ has no such problem and will play
through the headphones or the speakers (and even through the USB sound
adapter on my docking station) depending on what is plugged in -- I do not
have to change anything manually.

Steven Wimer

I had this problem but my solution was to turn off the HD Audio output and
to use analog output as my headphones are not HD.

Mehrdad

I disabled my speakers but I can't get them back working again. the option in control panel is gone and only headphones are there!

please help me

http://www.eggheadcafe.com

Tom Willett

Who is your hero?