I.E. current session closes (shuts down) when I open a new browser

A very strange thing started happening recently, I.E. current session closes
(shuts down) when I open a new browser!
I do not know if it is a setting or if it is a bug or a corruption of some
sort.

crashwave

Was one of the problems I had too when I installed sp2. removed it and
everything works.

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE

"I.E. closes when a new one is opened" <I.E. closes when a new one is
A very strange thing started happening recently, I.E. current session
closes
(shuts down) when I open a new browser!
I do not know if it is a setting or if it is a bug or a corruption of some
sort.

Go to Tools | Internet Options | Advanced.
Uncheck "Reuse windows for launching shortcuts".

Also, if you have Yahoo Companion, Google toolbar, MSN toolbar, a firewall,
Earthlink (or another pop-up blocker) My IE2 (a shell for IE) etc.
Yahoo Companion is a very common cause.

You'll have to turn off the feature that's blocking new windows or, perhaps,
uninstall the program (especially uninstall Yahoo Companion).

With some programs of this type, using Ctrl+click or Shift+click will allow
a new window.

If you're *sure* that another program isn't causing this, these links may
help.
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/IEFAQ.htm Tips #21 & 46
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679
http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/nolinks.htm
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers2.htm#hyperlinks
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers.htm#new_window

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Yes! this actually started right after SP2. I am thinking about un-installing
it.

What did you do after that? did you re-install SP2?
Thanks.

I will try that for sure.
I do not use any of these Google or Yahoo bars at all.

I have two PCs both have SP2, one is doing this and the other is fine.. This
is really strange.

Thanks for the detailed answer though.