I can't get the Malware protection to turn back on

After reading a whole lot of these posts, I have turned WU on and off,
updated my WD definitions from within and without, but since a couple days
ago (seems like forever) I cannot get Windows Security to turn on the Malware
protection or find any virus protection. Purchased this !*@ computer 1/31,
with Vista and WD installed.

When I click the button to turn on Malware, it looks for new definitions,
finds none, and won't turn on.
Current:
WD Verions 1.1.155.0
Engine 1.1.2306.0
Definition Version 1.16.2423.5 (previously 1.15.2336.7 & 1.16.2421.5)

I'm not particularly techie, anymore, so step by step suggestions would be
welcome.

dean-dean

If you don't have "Use real-time protection" checked in Windows Defender >
Tools > Options, then Malware Protection in Security Center will show as
being turned off. Try this: Open Windows Defender by right-clicking on its
icon and choosing Run As Administrator. Make sure there is a check in the
box for "Use real-time protection". Click on the Save button. Security
Center should now show that Malware Protection is turned on.

dean-dean

Your Engine and Definition versions are as updated as they are going to get,
as of this posting. By WD Version, I'm assuming you mean version
1.1.1505.0, which is also correct for Vista. What I'm curious about is how
turning on Malware Protection in Security Center triggers "?" to look for
new definitions. I can't reproduce this. What is triggered: Windows
Update? Windows Defender? I may be missing something...

The Find a Program button for virus protection should take you to this link,
if you don't have an anti-virus program:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/update/windowsvistaav.mspx

Bill Sanderson MVP

Windows Defender is not an antivirus, so I wouldn't expect the Security
Center to acknowledge it as such.

If you have, in fact, installed Windows Live OneCare, that is, in fact, an
antivirus, and also combines within it Windows Defender's protection--so it
turns off Windows Defender.

I have been to your link, Anonymous, and followed the directions, which is
probably how all my versions and definitions are up to date. But it didn't
help the original problem.

dean-dean: Real time protection is (and was) checked. Clicking the "turn
on Malware Protection" button triggers the Security Center to go look for
definitions and always returns the message "Security Center can't update
definitions for Windows Defender."

Bill--I don't think I have Windows One Care installed, at least
intentionally. McAfee came with the system and was apparently recognized
until a few days ago. This problem cropped up at the same time as the
Malware problem.

Thank you all for your help. Please keep trying! Vista may be driving me
nuts, but you guys are great!

dean-dean

I like your moniker, by the way. A number of people in the Vista newsgroups
have reported Security Center showing misinformation, although your problem
with the Malware Protection status is the first I've seen. People are
usually stating that they have uninstalled an anti-virus program, but that
Security Center still reports it as being installed.

Try, using Windows Defender, turning off "Use real-time protection", i.e.,
uncheck the box. (Click on the Save button). Then go to Security Center
(where it should now be telling the truth about Malware Protection), and
turning it on from there. If it gives the green-light status, go back to
Windows Defender to see if the box for "Use real-time protection" is really
checked, as it should be.

I'm beginning to wonder if my Security Center is working right, since I'm
not getting a scan when I turn on Malware Protection, after having turned it
off with WD. However, the status always shows the correct information.

Bill Sanderson MVP

Good idea, but I'd suggest a variation: The very last checkbox in the
options list, I believe, is something like "use Windows Defender" That's
the one I would uncheck.

And I might actually do a restart before checking it again.

I turned off the "use real time protection" and I turned off "use Windows
Defender," Saved and restarted.

The system told me that Defender was turned off. I went to Security Center
& clicked "turn on now" for Defender. Again the Security Center "searched
for "Security Center can't update definitions for Windows Defender" and will
not turn on the Malware protection.

I looked at the WD Tools/Options and both "real time" and "use WD" boxes
were checked.

I'll try this whole routine again. If you don't hear from me, you will know
that I got the same results & that I still have the original problems.

Thanks for your help!

dean-dean

Is System Restore an option? Your original post said that things were okay
in the not too distant past. Can you choose a Restore Point just prior to
the problem? The problem seems to reside in Security Center mis-reporting
things, and not particularly Windows Defender itself. I'm assuming WD is
working (manual scans, real time protection, etc.). Not much consolation, I
know. You can also turn off the Security Center nag notifications, but that
won't resolve the basic problem, of course.

Vista is driving me nuts! said:
After reading a whole lot of these posts, I have turned WU on and off,
updated my WD definitions from within and without, but since a couple days
ago (seems like forever) I cannot get Windows Security to turn on the Malware
protection or find any virus protection. Purchased this !*@ computer 1/31,
with Vista and WD installed.

When I click the button to turn on Malware, it looks for new definitions,
finds none, and won't turn on.
Current:
WD Verions 1.1.155.0
Engine 1.1.2306.0
Definition Version 1.16.2423.5 (previously 1.15.2336.7 & 1.16.2421.5)

I'm not particularly techie, anymore, so step by step suggestions would be
welcome.

I too share the same problem, WD is reported as turned OFF although its ON
and active. I tried all the kind suggestions in this thread to no avail.
Worse, even my AVAST anti-virus is reported as OFF when in fact it is ON and
active.

Were you able to resolve this problem?

Please check, under Administrative Tools, the Services and see if your
Windows Defender is set to Automatic and Started (if you don't use WLOC).
Restart.
Efrain

Posted to show there are others with this problem.

I too cannot enable Windows Defender on my PC, it trys, scans for updates,
tells me no updates are to be found and is not enabled. I waited until new
defs were available and let the process run, the update occurred successfully
but Windows Defender was not started/set on.

Dave M

Matt and others...

Don't let Vista drive you nuts.

This post from "tflink" in regard to WLOC but it should apply to Standalone
Windows Defender as well:

"I am running 32-bit Vista with Windows OneCare. After installing OneCare,
the Security Center alerted me that I did not have a firewall, virus or
spyware program running. It was obvious that I did. So, why did the
Security Center not recognize OneCare? Quick Answer... the WMI repository
was corrupt.
How did I fix it.

Run a cmd prompt as adiminstrator.

type the following command: winmgmt /verifyrepository

if the system returns "WMI repository is not consistent"

run this command: winmgmt /salvagerepository

The first time you run this it will fail. It will issue stop commands to
the services causing it to fail. It might take a couple minutes for the
services to shut down. Run the command again. I actually ran it 3 times
before it finally ran and completed on its own.

Reboot your system.

Hope this helps someone."

So let us know if this helps you with your Vista problem with Defender...

Dave M

Thanks for the feedback, John.

Good to hear that this fix for Vista worked. I don't think those specific
switches are available in XP or Server 2003, but most of these WMI
repository errors that confuse Security Center seem to be happening on
Vista (quite often) and this technique seems to be pretty gentle for that
system. Here's the command documentation:

Joined
Sep 25, 2007
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
not very good with computers

trying to use the command above, but must be doing something wrong

first time i've tried to do something this techy

this is want i'm typing in:

C:\Users\Steven<command>winmgmt /verifyrepository

i get the following message:

The system cannot find the file specifed.

i have very little idea what i'm doing, so if someone could give me an idiot's guide, i'd be grateful

vista security thing is really annoying me: says my anitvirus and antispy aren't turned on

cheers

Joined
Feb 28, 2009
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Found a simple solution from another forum geek which does work.

Go to;

Start
All Programmes
Accessories
Right Click on Command Prompt
Click on Run as Administrator
Box appears and type in winmgmt/salvagerepository
Enter
Box appears again and type in exit
Enter

Restart the 'puter and hopefully the security centre will show all monitoring is working.

Good Luck