I can't filter photo files by date taken

Greenman999

I have a large list of photo & video files in a directory. Most have
been edited. I want to list them by date taken, so I can make a DVD in
Windows DVD Maker. In Explorer I've tried many different filters (date,
date taken, date created etc) and none filters by the date the photo was
taken. Every file still has that date, as I can find it in Real Player
file properties (though the file in Windows seems to have only the date
modified). Can I still filter by original date taken?

Charles W Davis

Greenman999 said:
I have a large list of photo & video files in a directory. Most have
been edited. I want to list them by date taken, so I can make a DVD in
Windows DVD Maker. In Explorer I've tried many different filters (date,
date taken, date created etc) and none filters by the date the photo was
taken. Every file still has that date, as I can find it in Real Player
file properties (though the file in Windows seems to have only the date
modified). Can I still filter by original date taken?

What happens when you try? Open the folder and then open Windows Photo
Gallery. See what the meta data says for each image file.

Greenman999

--
Greenman999-

What happens when you try? Open the folder and then open Windows Photo

Gallery. See what the meta data says for each image file.

Each filter seems to find a different set of dates. None finds the
original date the photo was taken, though I've edited only the name of
the photo or occasionally removing red eye. Mostly it filters by the
last date the file was edited. Photo Gallery still contains the date
taken for each photo, so how do I get Explorer to filter by that date?

Michael Walraven

the syntax typed in the search block...

taken: >1/31/2008 </3/1/2008

when at a folder that has pictures yields the result of all pictures taken
during the month of Feb, 2008.

This is on my machine Vista Home premium, SP1.

Michael

Greenman999

All that does is narrow the results to a block of dates, but still i
the wrong order between those dates. I need each file to be in th
order they were originally taken, which goes down to the hour, minut
and second. That datum is in each file, but I can't make Explorer us
it. This seems a simple request!

;756744']the syntax typed in the search block...

Charles W Davis;756132 Wrote:-
[...]

date?

Dave T.

Greenman999 said:
I have a large list of photo & video files in a directory. Most have
been edited. I want to list them by date taken, so I can make a DVD in
Windows DVD Maker. In Explorer I've tried many different filters (date,
date taken, date created etc) and none filters by the date the photo was
taken. Every file still has that date, as I can find it in Real Player
file properties (though the file in Windows seems to have only the date
modified). Can I still filter by original date taken?

Do I not clearly understand the problem you are experiencing? It works
on my machine, Vista Home Premium SP1. The actual date taken is listed
in the details tab of file properties.

Select the files to sort, click view (on the menu bar, NOT "views" on
the tool bar), click sort by, click date taken (ascending or descending).

--
Dave T.

You can't imagine the extra work I had when I was a god. - Hirohito,
Emporer of Japan

Michael Walraven

I right click on blank area in the folder select sort by
'Date Taken' select ascending or descending

works for me, sorry I can't help on why it doesn't work for you.

(works both in Explorer and in Windows Live Photo )

Michael

Greenman999 said:
All that does is narrow the results to a block of dates, but still in
the wrong order between those dates. I need each file to be in the
order they were originally taken, which goes down to the hour, minute
and second. That datum is in each file, but I can't make Explorer use