i-Buddie 4 Desknote Review

Reaction score
Ok i've got two question, how many fans does this laptop have 1 or 2? And is there a section in the bios where i can c the cpu temp? I'd appreciate any kind of help.. thanks a million in advance!

Reaction score
Hey !

I also experienced/(am experiencing) the issue of the power cord heating up and getting severly disfigured due to the heat. I first started experiencing the problem last year, and sent it in for repairs, got my pc back after 2.5 months, and $45 shipping. The vendor did bring up the issue of 'physical damage' but i persisted saying that computer heated up causing the power cord to melt. After several days of phone calls, and hot arguments (even started to record my conversations for a sue-case), they agreed to repair it at no cost, and shipped it back to me. But ALAS, again after a whole year since the epsiode, I have noticed the power cord slowly disfiguring due to heat.

I am surprised the excessive heat does not seem to bother anyone. Fixing the pin and pretending the heat is not a issue, is very strange. I have experimented around a bit and here are my observations:

The heating does not seem to be due to graphics issue, or too much of cpu usage. In windows xp you can change the 'Hardware acceleration' to bare minimum when you are experiencing issues with your system. This setting turns off all gfx, and 3d rending, and other features. Under this setting, my computer still HEAT up !!

The burning plastic smell is very prominent at times. I am still determined why the power cord heats up. I will buy the condensed air can, and spray around the laptop vents and fan soon and see if that helps out with the heating (as some suggested dirty fans, or vents contribute to the heating). I will post my observations soon.

Someone suggested cutting the power adapter, and making sure the connection to the bottom pin is solid. I am a little hesitent right now in cutting a perfectly well cord. But yes the theory of currect flowing through high resistance makes sense, and that could be a possibility too.

Any other theories of the heat ?

Reaction score
a928 destroyed

hi anyone no where i can buy a desknote a928 without the lcd and all the aditional stuff(hdd,cpu etc.)? anyone selling one ?

Reaction score
Hello,

I have found this site by typing "desknote A928 problems" into google.

My computer (Desknote A928) is equipped with a P4 1.6 GH processor and with 256 MB RAM.

I have bought this desknote in June 2002 and had no problems with it until February 2004 although I have noticed that it heats much. The screen in particular is always warm. The vents didn't make much noise except when I load the CPU, so this is not annoying.

Then in February 2004 my network card suddenly stopped to work. After a few hours it worked again without any interventions! This was the first problem.

Now in April 2004, I have first experienced unexpected reboots. Then the laptop didn't boot anymore and I heard a click click while the leds are flickering and the "power off" button did not work (even after the 5 seconds). After a few try, I have succeeded to boot it up and I had the following message "CMOS checksum bad, press F1 to reset to default" (or something alike I do not remember the precise words). Feeling there was something wrong I had just the time to backup all my datas on a CD. The plug which connect the AC adaptor to the computer became really hot and began to melt; then I have powered off the computer, unplugging it and... as almost everybody here the bottom pin remains in the plug and the laptop were completely dead.

Reading all the posts in this forum showing that my case is far from being isolated, I must conclude that this computer is of bad quality and I would not recommend it to anybody.

Olive

Reaction score
First of all I discovered this forum a few months back while I was Goggling for some info…Any info on my melting Desknote A928 ac adapter
Thankfully you guys let me know I wasn’t alone with several posts on the topic including some innovative workarounds/suggestions for attacking the problem.
I sent my unit (out of warranty) to ECS and in my service request I included the URL from PC Review’s thread on the melting ac adapter issue…. Also, the left speaker was totally distorted and (right before the Adapter melted) I noticed the touchpad was acting strange and sort of locking into a scroll mode while navigating within folders. I paid the $35 return shipping fee and sent it out on March 25th
On Monday (last) I received word that my 928 was repaired (Speaker problem was a lose screw, touchpad was OK and I was charged for a new ac connection and power supply. (From ECS: Upd BIOS, Diag Tested Good, Replaced Defect Parts)
I was rather pleasnatly surprised at the price: $99.00. I had envisioned a more expensive bill.
Meanwhile, since my wife uses the laptop for work and needed it, we bought a Dell Inspirion 1100 (2.4 Celeron 512 RAM 20GB HD) which we’re very happy with.
Now back to the Desknote. I was very happy with the performance and will use it at our weekend home in the Catskills…However, since I realize ECS did nothing to prevent the same problem from occurring again (even though I used the URL from here as ammunition to let them know that there design flaw was no secret) I want to take all the possible precautions to get as much life out of it before the “Melting†starts again.
1) I am considering a laptop cooler (especially since my wife has a propensity to use the laptop on the couch or even worse on a pillow on the couch…Though since we got the Dell she’s been propping it up with a makeshift cardboard box)
2) I will not pull the ac adapter out when the computer is warm and will try to keep it plugged in at all times
3) I am open to all other suggestions
Sorry for the long post
Cheers
ted

Reaction score
Hi Everybody!

I have a Desknote A928 and yesterday, the bottom pin from the power input came off as I yanked the AC adaptor plug from my desknote! (based on my viewing of the previous messages in this thread...this is a common problem!)

I just called the place where I bought my desknote (in Markham, Ontario) and they said that I would have to ship it to ECS myself, and that it would cost over $500 CDN, since I would need a new motherboard. I find this rediculous, since I think I could simply solder the pin back into the desknote.

Has anyone tried the following? :
1.) buy some solder PASTE (as opposed to buying actual solder that's wrapped around in a coil)
2.) apply solder paste to the end of the pin (i.e. the end which you want to insert the pin back into the desknote)
3.) get some tweezers and yank the pin back into the desknote as far as it can go.
4.) plug in the power cord into the desknote. (the heat as soon as you turn on the desknote should melt the solder and make the pin stay in tact.)

Has anyone tried this approach before? I haven't, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I have worked with solder paste in the past, and I prefer that over using actual solder. I think this approach is better (i.e. penetrating the pin into the desknote, as opposed to having to opening the desknote). The only concern that I have is that as soon as I remove the AC adapter out in the future, the pin will come out with it because solder paste isn't as strong. Therefore, I will never remove the AC adapter in the future. Anyone think my method will work?

For now, I have a temporary solution to the "pin being removed" problem. If you notice the pin, there is an elevated groove in the on the pin. The groove is not exactly in the center, making one end longer than the other. What I did was reversed the pin direction and I forcefully pushed the longer side of the pin into the desknote. (i.e. the nice and smooth part of the pin is inserted into the desknote, while the shorter part of the pin that has the solder residue is exposed so that the ac adapter can connect to it...[[this is exactly the opposite of how my desknote came when i initially bought it.]) This method works! However, I'm scared about what I just did. Could my desknote somehow blow up because of this (or do other damage?) I'm afraid that my AC adapter will melt the solder residue and cause and short circuit, and blow up my desknote.

Thanks, please help!
Alex

Reaction score
Alex
If you read my post (the one preceding this one) you’ll see this:
”I was rather pleasantly surprised at the price: $99.00”
That was how much it cost me to ship and repair my A928 (sent from NY to CA on March 25th) and last Thursday it was on its way back
They don’t replace the motherboard.
As it turned out, they did not ship me back the ac plug (from adapter to 110v AC)…claiming (ridiculously) that I never sent mine…They did email back right away and said they would Fed X me one out anyway (no charge) (I borrowed another one to use meanwhile)
But…And I mean But…..They did me a big favor and updated the BIOS and in doing so there is no ACPI support and I very much like skipping the shutdown option menu via desktop shortcuts for restart and shutdown. Now that option is gone and I already have done two clean XP Pro installs to make sure
Having complained about all this, I love this little thing…Very fast….And when the power cord doesn’t melt very reliable.
You can try to jury rig your way out of spending the $99 bucks, but I’ve yet to be convinced that anyone who’s tried the same has been successful in the long run.
Cheers
t

Reaction score
thanks for your info, ted!

Sorry for not reading your post in detail. It seems like you had the exact same problem i'm having now! (i.e. the problem with a melted a removed pin.)

I have a question for you about where you sent out your desknote for repair. Did you go to http://www.ecs.com.tw/support/form_usa.htm, filled out the form, and then got an email response stating instructions about where to send the desknote?

thank you!
Alex

Reaction score
I've been using my second hand desknote for the last half year and have been avoiding to pull out the cord whever i can help it. Since my backpack has a laptop section that's bigger than the desknote i can tote this sucker around without removing the power supply easily. So far i haven't had any problems at all with the power on heating up from the cable since i don't unplug it which would weaken the solder joints. it's had like so far 2 years of daily use of gaming and surfing, still kicking. oh and i don't mess around with the bios at all if nothings broken, don't fix it. even this saturday i brought the thing to a lan party and had a non stop 10 hour session. This cheapie substitute of a laptop kept me going in counter strike and warcraft as well as other cpu intensive game with no problem or lag. Oh and i picked this beauty up for 850 Canadian dollars last year. wicked deal for a hybrid (not a true pc but also not a true laptop so i could only tell my friends it's a hybrid)

Reaction score
The cursed AC adapter

I have also recently encountered the melting plug problem.

I bought my A928 almost 2 years ago, until now it was operating smoothly except 2 issues, both power-related:

1. The power supply itself, and the DC plug into the computer, have always been much more hot than power supplies in other laptops. This did not affect the performance.

2. Occasionally, the desknote would refuse to boot. Turning it on would light one of the LEDs and start the fan at high speed, but the next stages of booting (i.e. loading bios, starting monitor, sync HD etc) were not reached; the power-off button would not work anymore, and the only solution was to physically disconnect power. This would occur regardless of the temperature of the laptop (0 degrees to 30 degrees), and it would ALWAYS start fine after the power was reconnected. Over time I noticed that this boot failure happens if the desknote is not physically disconnected from the AC supply between shutdown and consecutive boot (only turned off, AC adapter still connected to the wall and the LED on it active).

In any case, the melting problem appeared last week, consisted of repeated automatic reboots and burned plastic smells, although unlike others the pin on the connector stayed in place. Luckily I found this place, opened up the machine (a non-trivial task even for people who change jumper settings before breakfast and know what every pin in an RS232 connection does, which I am not), cleaned a bit and now it seems better.
However, I assume the problem is indeed rooted in the thinning amount of cable close to the plug, and would like to replace it without actually buying the 100$ power supply which is still functioning. is there a way to get the connector only (i.e. "radio shack number ZZZ-12345" or so)? I guess if I do that, I have an additional 1-1.5 years with this machine, which will overall be well worth the little money it cost at the time.

Gilad from Amsterdam

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 928A and my power plug was melting too.
It started today so I search about it on the net and foun this forum...
After reading every single post, and be awared of what was happening I realised the only thing I should do was to buy another power supply and just don`t unplugged it anymore...That`s a simple care for a reasonable explanation.
My desknote was reeboting after about 30 secs and so I decide... Gonna post a thank reply and buy it right now. But (believe me or not) after that when I unplugged the power cable... THE BOTTOM PIN WAS STUCKED ON IT!!!! Hell... what a coincidency! At least I already know what I should do to fix it (At least I think so), thats the good point.
So now my post will be a little bit differenet than even me expect:
What is the easiest way to solder the pin back to where it was? (Won`t do no cleaning as I think it is to risky and the "always plugged power chord solution" really seems to solve the heat question)
I`m going to play (I do Techno live PA) this weekend and will read all post again focus on this problem, but any (real fast) help would make me really glad!!!
Thanks for all the posts and all the replys for my thread!!
Sorry for the English!!!
Thiago

Reaction score
Alright if anyone could help me with my problem I would greatly appreciate. My power adapter actually died on my a929...actually, physically burnt out. It smells like old fireworks and you can probably fry an egg on it. DOES anyone have idea where I can buy a replacement. Every place seems to be sold out and I don't want to buy from a US dealer and pay the shipping. I am looking for a dealer in Europe, preferably Italy...any suggestions??????? Plus its final time and I need the computer for my exams!!!!

(e-mail address removed)

Last edited:
Reaction score
ECS A928 Desknote

hi all!
i bought my ECS 928A Desknote with external battery in Nov. 2002, in israel, for 6700 NIS, it's like 1500$ US or something like this.
since then i had 3 problems:
the first occured 4-5 months after i bought it.
my computer just started to reboot unexpected. and after a little while it didn't boot at all, as some one wrote above me. it did a sound like "click click" like the computer is turning on, again and again...
i send it to repair and they replace the mother board and the case.

at the end of the one-year-warranty, i stay the computer working nonstop calculating some math problems of fracals, for more then 40 hours, i wasn't all the time near it, but when i came back, i smell a burned plastic..
i turned it off and unplugged the AC, and discovered that my cable is stated to melt...
i didn't want to go to the service, because it's not in my city, and i didn't have time for this.
a day after the warranty expired... :( i unplugged the cable (it was hard to pull it) and one of the PINS REMAINED IN THE CABLE!!!
i brought it again, and replace the case, motherboard and cables again.
i didn't realize 2 things when i get it back:
1. one or two of the USBs didn't work.
2. the speakers made a strident sound.

becuase i gave my computer after the warranty was expired (and repaired with no charge), i didn't complaind, and continue to work with it.
but, a month ago, my sister used it, she put it on her bed, so the fan can't do it job... :( and the computer started to get warm and WARM, and when i came i smell the well known smell of burned plastic. i turned it off immediately, and when i unplugged it it streched like a chewing gum! :(

an picture of my cables (that one that connects the battery to the computer - it's ok, and that's that connects from the AC to the computer/battery) is attached.

and some pieces of the plastic remained in the OUTPUT hole in the battery, i think a damage caused to the battery but the computer is fine.

i need another AC adapter cable (PA-1900-05).

By the way, why they in the first place made this poewr connector from plastic?! all the other companies use metal (that is not melting down! and make your computer useless).

my conclusion is:
NEVER but never buy anything with a good price, that you don't know that you have a place to go, if problem is happening.
my next laptop will be Compaq or something like this, and before that i'll check very well the model, to see if there any errors like those we can read here.

so, what are all of us going to do?!
a class action all of us together? :)
so companies like ECS won't release products like these and we'll get (sone of) our money back... ;)

I'll be glad to get any responses.
Thanks,
mennie.

Attachments

• melted cable.jpg
    melted cable.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 1,040
Last edited:
Reaction score
I have exactly the SAME problem! here is my story. I bought my desknote about... 1-2 years ago from Malaysia. Actually, it works fine in malaysia even when i turn on for long period. I think it's because i got a power regulator or something. Now, I am studying in UK, after 2 months here, my desknot A928 got BURNED! yes, the power connected melted! yes yes, with all the wierd sound and smells.... I am now at Newcastle upon Tyne, UK... anyone know if i can get it repair here? here in newcastle? any help is very much appriciated! thanks!

Reaction score
hmm... it looks to me like there power frequency or the Watts are not suitable to the transformer.
i thought about it before.. but what do we have to do about it?
to decrease the Voltage?! :)
i don't know how to do it...
in Israel the power values are: 220W 50Hz.
we need here an electronics expert.

i read all the thread, and i want to tell Ian Cunningham that you may change the Review... after all the evidences we saw here, hmm.. its seems like there is a BIG problem with this series.
i recommend: Do Not Buy This Computer! It is a waste of your money!

Last edited:

vik

Reaction score
My i-Buddie worked fine for over a year. I noticed considerable heating though. One day it started to reboot over and over again. It gave me error messages about some .exe files not being able to run. After several attempts I tried to repair the system (Win2000) using installation CD. It failed because in the middle of the process it could not copy several files from CD to HD. Then I decided to reinstall the system (I had everything backed up). Same problem occurred. At about 10-12% of copying system files it crashes and gives blue screen, although the formatting and partitioning goes smoothly. I was wondering if anyone else experienced that. Could that be heat related damage? Any expert’s advise where to start to fix it? Please!!!

Reaction score
I also had the plug melting problem and pin pull out problem and I just thought I would post my solution. I ordered a "A92X - Cable for External Battery" for $5.00 (another five for shipping of course :rolleyes: ) http://www.desknote.net/eSale/eSale_item.cfm?modID=106&catID=105 One end of this wire is identical to the origional power supply connector and the other is just like the one built into the laptop. I simply cut the wire in half and spliced the male end onto my power supply. On my power supply at least the wire was a coax style w/ the center wire insulated in white (+ polarity), however the new wire was a normal two wire setup one white one red DON'T LINE UP THE COLORS attach the red wire too the white inner wire and the white wire to the uninsulated part of the coax, did it the other way too start out w/ and had a lot of very pretty sparks when I tried it out fortunatly it didn't seem to cause any damage. Then I removed the insulation from the other end and used the inner connector to replace the internal one w/ the pulled out pin. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Hi all

I also have this plug melting problem last month. The plug not only melted, but also pull the positive pin out of the desknote. With my desknote is out of warrantee I have to fix it myself. After two attempts on taking the desknote apart, I finally manage to do it (There are screws hidden under the keyboard).
What I did is
1. Get a cooper screen that of similar size of the power pin, but longer in length.
2. Put a screw cap and solder it on one side of the screw. Stick the side without screw cap out from the desknote power supply plug. (The screw cap is to prevent the pin from being pull out again.)
3. Then I use a PCB with all the circuit cleaned off (this cleaning is to prevent short circuit) to put at the back of this screw cap power PIN. The PCB is used for holding the strength when you push in the power cord such that the power PIN will not swallow by the desknote.

After I put everything back, it works !

One note: The melting power plug is caused by not pulling the power cord out from the desknote when I was traveling with the desknote. It actually shakes the power cord when I am walking such that the + and – is get so close to each other and sometime even have a kiss. Eventually will heat up and melt the cord. So don’t be lazy, pull out the cord carefully from the desknote after power off.

Another problem I am facing and have not solved is the USB 2.0 problem. I can not get my Sandisk Cruzer mini 512Mb to work at USB 2.0 for my WinXP pro. It is just giving me 168kBytes/s where my other desktop computer can transfer at 7Mbytes/s. However, no complain was shown for high speed device connected to low speed hub and USB 2.0 drive IS installed. Does anyone have any solution? Please give me a email.

fatice

Reaction score
vik said:
My i-Buddie worked fine for over a year. I noticed considerable heating though. One day it started to reboot over and over again. It gave me error messages about some .exe files not being able to run. After several attempts I tried to repair the system (Win2000) using installation CD. It failed because in the middle of the process it could not copy several files from CD to HD. Then I decided to reinstall the system (I had everything backed up). Same problem occurred. At about 10-12% of copying system files it crashes and gives blue screen, although the formatting and partitioning goes smoothly. I was wondering if anyone else experienced that. Could that be heat related damage? Any expert’s advise where to start to fix it? Please!!!

I think it is your CDROM problem. Try to copy everything into the HD before installing. e.g. install from HD. This happens to me as well, because anything reading error during installation, the process will be aborted.
1. Copy everything from the CD to your formated HD
2. Use a bootable CD or floopy (you need a USB floopy drive) to boot up the system
3. Go to C: drive and run setup in DOS prompt

Good Luck
Regards
James

Ask a Question