HyperTerminal

Larry Waibel

I'm trying to test out the COM ports on a minimal system. I copied
HyperTerminal and it's DLL and run it and it says "Windows has reported a
TAPI error (80000048). Use the Phone and Modem Options icon in the control
panel to ensure that a modem is installed properly." I don't have a modem in
the system and don't want to have to install anything more than absolutely
necessary. Is there something simple I can do to get around this? Or any
suggestions on another tool to check out the COM ports? Thanks!

KM

Larry,

Obviously the HyperTerm.exe has some dependencies that might not be in your image. The faster way to find them out - run the
HyperTerm.exe on the current target image through DependencyWalker with Profiling feature on. You will notice all the missing Dlls
marked in red in the log output.

Also, please add "Shell Hyperterminal Registry Data" component registry data to your build (or at run time through .reg file).

Larry Waibel

Thanks for the reply. I ended up finding in the release notes that if you include
HyperTerminal you also have to include TAPI 2.2. Added quite a bit to the build image
size but it did work. In this case I think it's HyperTerminal that's depending on way too
much but knowing that it started in the 'modem' days I guess I'm not surprised.

From: "KM" <konstmor@nospam_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: HyperTerminal
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 11:32:54 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded

Larry,

Obviously the HyperTerm.exe has some dependencies that might not be in your image. The
faster way to find them out - run the
HyperTerm.exe on the current target image through DependencyWalker with Profiling
feature on. You will notice all the missing Dlls
marked in red in the log output.

Also, please add "Shell Hyperterminal Registry Data" component registry data to your
build (or at run time through .reg file).

KM

Larry,

Yes, TAPI is indeed needed for HyperTerminal.
I apologies for not mentioning that at first place.

Btw, if you just need to test COM post you may want to use a lightweigher application than HyperTerminal. E.g., Tera Term Pro, or
similar.
You may not need to include TAPI stack then.

Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Need telephony services to be enabled

Larry Waibel said:
I'm trying to test out the COM ports on a minimal system. I copied
HyperTerminal and it's DLL and run it and it says "Windows has reported a
TAPI error (80000048). Use the Phone and Modem Options icon in the control
panel to ensure that a modem is installed properly." I don't have a modem in
the system and don't want to have to install anything more than absolutely
necessary. Is there something simple I can do to get around this? Or any
suggestions on another tool to check out the COM ports? Thanks!
Looks like you fixed this, but a TAPI error deals with the telephony services the program (in this case hyperterminal) are trying to interact with. Usually means your telephony services are either turned off or disable.

here's a quick fix if that is the issue: Hit start (for the start menu), then Run, then type in "services.msc", then hit enter. Find telephony services and start or enable it.

Hope that helps