Hybrid sleep mode not appearing?!

Vicente Alvarez

Hi ya'all

Just installed Vista RTM and spend the whole night playing with it. I loved
it, even if the PC I use for testing stuff doesn't support Aero.

But everything isn't that great...

I still can't get Hybrid Sleep mode to work, it's somehow disabled. I can do
a normal sleep AND I can hybernate too!!!. Went to check out in Power
managment, just to found that the Hybrid Sleep mode doesn't appear on the
list.

Is there any registry tweak to make it appear? I'm using a desktop computer
(so it should be enabled by default) and normal sleep and hybertation are
both working (so it's not a bios problem)

Any help would be appreciated

John Barnett MVP

The only time i've had hybrid sleep 'disappear' from power options is when
hibernation has been disabled. You could try disabling hibernation and then
re-enabling it.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

John Barnett MVP

here is the link from my website to instructions on disabling and enabling
hibernation.
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/disable_hibernation.htm

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows Shell/User

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

Vicente Alvarez

Wow! Thanks
But.... it didn't worked =(

This is weird!. I disable hybernation, and of course it's disabled!. And
then I re-enable it and it also works!!

I can hybernate, and put s3 mode also!! Weird.........

John Barnett MVP

What version of Vista are you using? I'm just wondering whether hybrid sleep
is disabled in group policies?

I know i had to advise someone to turn hybrid sleep off in power management
in order for him to get the hibernation option on the shutdown menu of the
start menu. After going throught he scenario i found that there was no
hybrid sleep option in power managment (balanced) but on checking i noticed
that i had disabled hibernation (using the disk cleaner method). Once i
re-enabled hibernation the hybrid sleep option returned.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows Shell/User

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Vicente,
Open an elevated CMD prompt.
Run powercfg -a and report back what the output is to the group.
Sometimes this can tell us if the BIOS or certain drivers are preventing
some of the power options being available.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: "Vicente Alvarez" <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: Hybrid sleep mode not appearing?!
|>Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 10:52:05 -0300
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|>How can i check group policies?
|>
|>I turned hibernation off and on in several ways, but I keep on having the
|>same issue. Here's a screenshot that shows the problem. BTW my os is in
|>spanish hehe but the options are the same xD
|>
|>Buenos dias! lol
|>

|>"John Barnett MVP" <[email protected]> escribió en el mensaje
de
|>noticias |>> What version of Vista are you using? I'm just wondering whether hybrid
|>> sleep is disabled in group policies?
|>>
|>> I know i had to advise someone to turn hybrid sleep off in power
|>> management in order for him to get the hibernation option on the
shutdown
|>> menu of the start menu. After going throught he scenario i found that
|>> there was no hybrid sleep option in power managment (balanced) but on
|>> checking i noticed that i had disabled hibernation (using the disk
cleaner
|>> method). Once i re-enabled hibernation the hybrid sleep option returned.
|>>
|>> --
|>> John Barnett MVP
|>> Associate Expert
|>> Windows Shell/User
|>>
|>> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
|>> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
|>>
|>> The information in this mail/post is supplied "as is". No warranty of
any
|>> kind, either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the accuracy,
|>> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be
liable
|>> for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising
out
|>> of the use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed
in
|>> this mail/post..

And

mensaje

Vicente Alvarez

Running powercfg -a in a elevated command prompt returns the following...

Los siguientes estados de suspensión están disponibles en este sistema:
Espera (
S3 ) Hibernar
Los siguientes estados de suspensión no están disponibles en este sistema:
Espera (S1)
El firmware del sistema no admite este estado de espera.
Espera (S2)
El firmware del sistema no admite este estado de espera.
Suspensión híbrida

Translation:
The following sleep modes are available for this system: Sleep (S3)
Hibernate
The following sleep modes aren't available for this system: Sleep (S1) The
firmware of the system doesn't allow this state Sleep (S2) the firmware of
the system doesn't allow this state Hybrid Sleep

(with no explanation given why it isn't available) :S

because... if S3 is supported and hibernation is supported... there should
be no problem right???

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello Vicente,
Open an elevated CMD prompt.
Run powercfg -a and report back what the output is to the group.
Sometimes this can tell us if the BIOS or certain drivers are preventing
some of the power options being available.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: "Vicente Alvarez" <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: Hybrid sleep mode not appearing?!
|>Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 10:52:05 -0300
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|>How can i check group policies?
|>
|>I turned hibernation off and on in several ways, but I keep on having
the
|>same issue. Here's a screenshot that shows the problem. BTW my os is in
|>spanish hehe but the options are the same xD
|>
|>Buenos dias! lol
|>

|>"John Barnett MVP" <[email protected]> escribió en el mensaje
de
|>noticias |>> What version of Vista are you using? I'm just wondering whether hybrid
|>> sleep is disabled in group policies?
|>>
|>> I know i had to advise someone to turn hybrid sleep off in power
|>> management in order for him to get the hibernation option on the
shutdown
|>> menu of the start menu. After going throught he scenario i found that
|>> there was no hybrid sleep option in power managment (balanced) but on
|>> checking i noticed that i had disabled hibernation (using the disk
cleaner
|>> method). Once i re-enabled hibernation the hybrid sleep option
returned.

|>> --
|>> John Barnett MVP
|>> Associate Expert
|>> Windows Shell/User
|>>
|>> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
|>> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
|>>
|>> The information in this mail/post is supplied "as is". No warranty of
any
|>> kind, either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the
accuracy,
|>> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be
liable
|>> for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising
out
|>> of the use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed
in
|>> this mail/post..

And

mensaje

Power

nicholas hall

What are the power settings in your BIOS?

NIK

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello Vicente,
Open an elevated CMD prompt.
Run powercfg -a and report back what the output is to the group.
Sometimes this can tell us if the BIOS or certain drivers are preventing
some of the power options being available.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

rights
--------------------
|>From: "Vicente Alvarez" <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: Hybrid sleep mode not appearing?!
|>Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 10:52:05 -0300
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|>How can i check group policies?
|>
|>I turned hibernation off and on in several ways, but I keep on having
the
|>same issue. Here's a screenshot that shows the problem. BTW my os is in
|>spanish hehe but the options are the same xD
|>
|>Buenos dias! lol
|>

|>"John Barnett MVP" <[email protected]> escribió en el
mensaje
de
|>noticias |>> What version of Vista are you using? I'm just wondering whether
hybrid
|>> sleep is disabled in group policies?
|>>
|>> I know i had to advise someone to turn hybrid sleep off in power
|>> management in order for him to get the hibernation option on the
shutdown
|>> menu of the start menu. After going throught he scenario i found that
|>> there was no hybrid sleep option in power managment (balanced) but on
|>> checking i noticed that i had disabled hibernation (using the disk
cleaner
|>> method). Once i re-enabled hibernation the hybrid sleep option
returned.

|>> --
|>> John Barnett MVP
|>> Associate Expert
|>> Windows Shell/User
|>>
|>> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
|>> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
|>>
|>> The information in this mail/post is supplied "as is". No warranty of
any
|>> kind, either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the
accuracy,
|>> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be
liable
|>> for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising
out
|>> of the use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed
in
|>> this mail/post..

And

mensaje

shall
not

it.

disabled.
Power

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Vicente,
Firmware refers to the BIOS or chipset of the machine.
So according to that it looks like you may need an update to either the
firmware\bios to get this to work.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|>From: "Vicente Alvarez" <[email protected]>
|>Subject: Re: Hybrid sleep mode not appearing?!
|>Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 21:12:25 -0300
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|>Running powercfg -a in a elevated command prompt returns the following...
|>
|>Los siguientes estados de suspensión están disponibles en este sistema:
|>Espera (
|> S3 ) Hibernar
|>Los siguientes estados de suspensión no están disponibles en este sistema:
|>Espera (S1)
|> El firmware del sistema no admite este estado de espera.
|>Espera (S2)
|> El firmware del sistema no admite este estado de espera.
|>Suspensión híbrida
|>
|>Translation:
|>The following sleep modes are available for this system: Sleep (S3)
|>Hibernate
|>The following sleep modes aren't available for this system: Sleep (S1)
The
|>firmware of the system doesn't allow this state Sleep (S2) the firmware
of
|>the system doesn't allow this state Hybrid Sleep
|>
|>(with no explanation given why it isn't available) :S
|>
|>because... if S3 is supported and hibernation is supported... there
should
|>be no problem right???
|>

|>""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" <[email protected]> escribió en el
|>mensaje de noticias |>> Hello Vicente,
|>> Open an elevated CMD prompt.
|>> Run powercfg -a and report back what the output is to the group.
|>> Sometimes this can tell us if the BIOS or certain drivers are preventing
|>> some of the power options being available.
|>> Thanks,
|>> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
|>>
|>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
|>> --------------------

|>> the

mensaje
|>> de

|>> shutdown
|>> cleaner
|>> returned.

|>> any
|>> accuracy,
|>> liable
|>> out
|>> in

|>> And

|>> mensaje

|>> of
|>> not
|>> damages
|>> opinions

|>> Power
|>> on

|>> hybertation

John Barnett MVP

Darrell i would agree that an update would be necessary. When i followed
your instructions and checked my system the results stated quite clearly
that hybrid sleep was available on my machine along with S3.

In an earlier post i had asked what verison Vicente had because i had
disabled hybrid sleep in group policy. I had responed to a post on one of
the newsgroups about putting the hibernation option on the start/shutdown
menu. I advised the person to disable hybrid sleep and the hibernation
option would appear, which it did. However, that wasn't satisfactory because
he had numeorus machines and wanted to do the same on all machines using an
unattened script or registry hack. I never did find out whether it could be
done or not, but while looking through group policies that is how i came
across the option to disable hybrid sleep there, so i assumed, maybe, that
could be the case with Vincente. But now from the details in his post i know
that this is not now the case.

--

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
> [...]

The
|>firmware of the system doesn't allow this state Sleep (S2) the firmware
of
|>the system doesn't allow this state Hybrid Sleep
|>
|>(with no explanation given why it isn't available) :S
|>
|>because... if S3 is supported and hibernation is supported... there
should
|>be no problem right???
|>

|>""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" <[email protected]> escribió en el
|>mensaje de noticias |>> Hello Vicente,
|>> Open an elevated CMD prompt.
|>> Run powercfg -a and report back what the output is to the group.
|>> Sometimes this can tell us if the BIOS or certain drivers are
preventing
|>> some of the power options being available.
|>> Thanks,
|>> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
|>>
|>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello John,
Sorry didn't mean to take over your thread or infer that your responses had
any sort of issue.
Group Policy is certainly a consideration when talking about power
management issues since there are more group policy selections available in
Windows Vista.
I simply wanted to get more people also looking at using powercfg -a as
option.
This should show hardware or driver related issues that may be preventing
power management options from being available.
As a test, one could disable the video driver, you fall back to the
standard VGA driver which doesn't do power maangement.
Then run powercfg -a and look at the output. It should point to teh video
driver as the issue..
This option has been available since Windows Server 2003 released but I
rarely see people try it.

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

> [...]
|>
|>Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
|>Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
|>
|>The information in this mail/post is supplied "as is". No warranty of any
|>kind, either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the accuracy,
|>reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable
for
|>any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of
the
|>use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this
|>mail/post..

|>> Firmware refers to the BIOS or chipset of the machine.
|>> So according to that it looks like you may need an update to either the
|>> firmware\bios to get this to work.
|>> Thanks,
|>> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
|>>
|>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no

John Barnett MVP

Hello Darrell,

I haven't considered that you are taking over the thread or that my
Microsoft taking an interest. I know the groups are monitored but we rarely
get much feedback from Microsoft's end.

--

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
> [...]

that
|>could be the case with Vincente. But now from the details in his post i
know
|>that this is not now the case.
|>
|>--
|>John Barnett MVP
|>Associate Expert
|>Windows Shell/User
|>
|>Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
|>Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
|>
|>The information in this mail/post is supplied "as is". No warranty of
any
|>kind, either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the accuracy,
|>reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable
for
|>any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of
the
|>use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this

message
|>> Firmware refers to the BIOS or chipset of the machine.
|>> So according to that it looks like you may need an update to either
the
|>> firmware\bios to get this to work.
|>> Thanks,
|>> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
|>>
|>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
|>> --------------------

|>> following...

|>> sistema: