Huh??? I don't understand what it is saying to do..please explain

G

I am trying to add user registration so only members can enter our discussions group... help me understand what this is saying... Please. I just am not good at the terms and what they mean. Thank

Comment: User Registration Form - When this page is configured properly and saved in a Root Web site on a web server, this form will allow users to register themselves as valid users of a FrontPage sub site on the same web server. The target sub site must exist when users submit this form. To configure this page, first edit the form's properties to set the name of the target sub site. Then use the Search/Replace feature to change all instances of the text [Name of your sub site] on this page with the title of the target sub site, such as "New Ideas Web" or "Employee Discussion Web". Save this page in the Root Web site. Next, change the permissions for the target sub site using the Server command on the Tools menu. Make the permissions unique for the target sub site, and change the User access controls so that only registered users may enter

Target subsite? what is that? How
What is it meant by root web site
change permissions? Is this on the page the registration will allow users to enter or the registration page?? ( I am soo confused
Where are user access controls

R

ric

Camille said:
I am trying to add user registration so only members can enter our
discussions group... help me understand what this is saying... Please. I
just am not good at the terms and what they mean. Thanks
Comment: User Registration Form - When this page is configured properly
and saved in a Root Web site on a web server, this form will allow users to
register themselves as valid users of a FrontPage sub site on the same web
server. The target sub site must exist when users submit this form. To
configure this page, first edit the form's properties to set the name of the
target sub site. Then use the Search/Replace feature to change all instances
of the text [Name of your sub site] on this page with the title of the
target sub site, such as "New Ideas Web" or "Employee Discussion Web". Save
this page in the Root Web site. Next, change the permissions for the target
sub site using the Server command on the Tools menu. Make the permissions
unique for the target sub site, and change the User access controls so that
only registered users may enter.

Target subsite? what is that? How?

Your discussion group page.
What is it meant by root web site?

Where your index.htm/index.html/etc... is saved either on your website or
computer.
change permissions? Is this on the page the registration will allow users
to enter or the registration page?? ( I am soo confused)

Think this is the dicussion group page. Set permissions so only registered
users can view it (don't ask me how you do that though).
Where are user access controls?

Think this is the username/password bit.

Ric

S

Stefan B Rusynko

FYI
User self registration Only works on sites hosted on Unix servers where the host allows subwebs w/ unique permissions,
And allows Anyone to register (no limited to just your members)

You are better off creating a subweb w/ unique permissions (single user ID and password for just you members)
See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825451
Your host will have to support subwebs and unique permissions under the FP Server Extensions

--

| I am trying to add user registration so only members can enter our discussions group... help me understand what this is saying...
Please. I just am not good at the terms and what they mean. Thanks
|
| Comment: User Registration Form - When this page is configured properly and saved in a Root Web site on a web server, this form
will allow users to register themselves as valid users of a FrontPage sub site on the same web server. The target sub site must
exist when users submit this form. To configure this page, first edit the form's properties to set the name of the target sub site.
Then use the Search/Replace feature to change all instances of the text [Name of your sub site] on this page with the title of the
target sub site, such as "New Ideas Web" or "Employee Discussion Web". Save this page in the Root Web site. Next, change the
permissions for the target sub site using the Server command on the Tools menu. Make the permissions unique for the target sub site,
and change the User access controls so that only registered users may enter.
|
|
| Target subsite? what is that? How?
| What is it meant by root web site?
| change permissions? Is this on the page the registration will allow users to enter or the registration page?? ( I am soo confused)
| Where are user access controls?
|
|

Ask a Question