HP Photosmart Print Preview as limited user

@

@echo off

After installing Windows XP SP2, the "Show Print Preview" option no longer
works from my Photosmart 2575 all-in-one when logged in as a limited user
account that is only a member of the default Users group. This option is on
the Finishing tab within Printing Preferences for the HP driver and is
separate from any print preview options provided by an application. After
installing SP2, the HP print preview utility that comes up displays a blank
white page regardless of the application it was initiated from. I've tried
this from multiple apps (Acrobat, Internet Explorer, Word, Wordpad, etc.)
with the same results.

The option continues to work for members of the Administrators and Power
Users groups, but that's obviously not my first choice for a workaround
since this was working for limited users up until the install of SP2. I'm
pretty sure that I'm running into a security change as a result of SP2 that
I just need to delegate back to the users group, but I haven't been able to
track it down yet. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I've contacted HP support about this and it was a struggle to get them to
even look into this. Since the feature works for Administrators, they feel
that their software is working just fine.

Alan Morris [MSFT]

it looks like you will need to allow write access for all users to
\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3. I'd just allow w32x86 and all
subdirectories.

The HP dev replied that he did not have a workaround, but if the problem is
how he explains it, this should allow the preview.