HowTo install RAID driver from Floppy under Vista?

Mario Reinhöfer

Hi there all,

we've got a HP Compaq dc5750, 160 GB SATA-HDD, Vista Business, Recovery CD
only.

The aim is to install a second (identical) hard drive and use the onboard
raid controller (ATI RAID) for this.

After some changes in BIOS (HDD from SATA to RAID and RAID Controller as
Boot Device) we come to Vista's Boot Screen and then system hangs. Which
seems logical because we did not installed the raid driver yet (but have it
on floppy).

I can remeber in good old Win2K days you only had to press F6 for choosing
your RAID driver and then installed it from Floppy.

How to do this in Vista?

Thanx alot!
Mario

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Chat with HP Support:
http://h50203.www5.hp.com/hpisweb/customer/HPInstantsupport.aspx?&cc=us&lang=en

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Mario Reinhöfer" <mario.reinhoefer (at) t-online (dot) de> wrote in message Hi there all,

we've got a HP Compaq dc5750, 160 GB SATA-HDD, Vista Business, Recovery CD
only.

The aim is to install a second (identical) hard drive and use the onboard
raid controller (ATI RAID) for this.

After some changes in BIOS (HDD from SATA to RAID and RAID Controller as
Boot Device) we come to Vista's Boot Screen and then system hangs. Which
seems logical because we did not installed the raid driver yet (but have it
on floppy).

I can remeber in good old Win2K days you only had to press F6 for choosing
your RAID driver and then installed it from Floppy.

How to do this in Vista?

Thanx alot!
Mario

koze

Mario Reinhöfer said:
Hi there all,

we've got a HP Compaq dc5750, 160 GB SATA-HDD, Vista Business, Recovery CD
only.

The aim is to install a second (identical) hard drive and use the onboard
raid controller (ATI RAID) for this.

After some changes in BIOS (HDD from SATA to RAID and RAID Controller as
Boot Device) we come to Vista's Boot Screen and then system hangs. Which
seems logical because we did not installed the raid driver yet (but have
it
on floppy).

I can remeber in good old Win2K days you only had to press F6 for choosing
your RAID driver and then installed it from Floppy.

How to do this in Vista?

Thanx alot!
Mario
Advanced options from setup, "Load drivers" ;-)
Ko

Hi Mario,

You cannot do this with a recovery CD/DVD. They will only restore the system
to its factory condition. However, you should be able to restore to a larger
hard disk. If you want to use RAID, you will probably need to buy a retail
copy of Vista and use that. Make sure that you have the correct drivers for
your system. The upgrade versions of Vista are much cheaper, and if you
follow the instructions in my post 'Clean Install Windows Vista Using Upgrade
Media', also in this newsgroup (dated 9/21/2007), you should solve your
problem. Note that drivers can also be supplied on CDs and USB flash memory
sticks as well as floppy disks. Make sure that you have the correct driver.
You can download this from the HP website.
Dwarf

koze

Mario Reinhöfer said:
koze,

no setup options, we only have recovery CD's ...

thanks anyway
Mario
Then ndeed only factory defaults and if the drives did come with the machine
the drivers should be on the restore to.
If not you have to ask the person/firm you bought it from, they have to
correct then.

Ko