How to use Newsgroups?

David of IC

I can not find understandable instructions on how to use Newsgroups. Can
anyone help?

I am not a computer geek and only understand normal logic, not PC logic.

Sharon Franks

You just learned.

--

Sharon Franks
MCC group

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?_db_=B4=AF`=B7.._=3E=3C=29=29=29=BA

you wouldn't want to read them
anyways since it is around 20 or 30
thousands of pages...

you must be a genius for being
able to post your question here
without the instructions anyways.

--

db ·´¯`·.¸. said:
<)))º>·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><)))º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

..

Sooner Al [MVP]

David of IC said:
I can not find understandable instructions on how to use Newsgroups. Can
anyone help?

I am not a computer geek and only understand normal logic, not PC logic.

Here are some links that you may find of some help...

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/guide/default.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/guide/newsgroups.mspx

http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

Also searching Google yields many answers to questions already asked...

http://groups.google.com/support/?hl=en

http://groups.google.com/advanced_search

http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?sel=33554433

Good luck...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

Ken Blake, MVP

I can not find understandable instructions on how to use Newsgroups. Can
anyone help?

You're doing fine so far. It's actually very easy, and instructions
shouldn't be needed. If you have any specific questions, ask them.

I am not a computer geek and only understand normal logic, not PC logic.

There's no "PC logic" (whatever that is) involved.

Phil Weldon

'David of IC' wrote:
| I can not find understandable instructions on how to use Newsgroups. Can
| anyone help?
|
| I am not a computer geek and only understand normal logic, not PC logic.
_____

You are already a leg up since you used a newsreader (rather than the
Microsoft web based interface) to post. A newsreader will allow access to
tens of thousands of newsgroups (if your ISP includes these newsgroups on
their newsservers.) The Microsoft web based interface is clunky, clumsy,
and limited to microsoft.public.* newsgroups

Other than the cite 'Bert Kinney' posted and the advice from 'Sharon
Franks' and 'Ken Blake', the best learning approaches are to

read the posts in a decent newsgroup (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,
for example),

take note of the 'thread' (heirarchical) structure,

notice the reaction different styles of posts provoke,

be aware of the functioning of 'peer review' (the more knowledgable
participants tend to review posted advice for aptness and value),

avoid reacting to immature and 'acting out' posts - if possible B^),

avoid MAKING immature and 'acting out' posts,

NEVER use a real email address identity for your newsgroup posts unless
you are willing to be spammed (spammers have programs that harvest email
addresses from newsgroups) - if '(e-mail address removed)', as contained in the
header of your post, is a real email address, expect new spam withing a day
or so to that mailbox - if you wish no know how to avoid placing a real
email address in your post headers, Google search { munging newsgroup
email },

measure twice, cut once (think and organize your thoughts before
posting)

use good grammer and proper spelling - if possible B^) - I find a spell
checker very valuable, a grammer checker completly useless,

be aware of trolls - a selection of posters whose entire purpose is to
provoke and obstruct,

be aware that Usenet is international.

There are many other styles of use, you will see them all.

There are many possible types, functions, and audiences for newsgroups, you
can see them all.

There is NO supervision of Usenet newsgroup content and style, deliberatly
so. 'Peer pressure' is slow to operate, but can be very powerful.

Finally, there are no requirements for using Usenet; common sense and a
friendly approach goes a long way - no 'PC logic' is necessary, just the
ability to express yourself more or less clearly.

Phil Weldon

|I can not find understandable instructions on how to use Newsgroups. Can
| anyone help?
|
| I am not a computer geek and only understand normal logic, not PC logic.

Ken Blake, MVP

use good grammer and proper spelling - if possible B^) - I find a spell
checker very valuable, a grammer checker completly useless,

I apologize in advance, since I hate messages pointing out spelling
errors, unless they are critical to someone's understanding. But in
this case, I thought the juxtaposition of the misspelling "grammer"
and the phrase "proper spelling" humorous. ;-)

I don't mean to pick on you-- I know I make more than my own share of
typos too.

Phil Weldon

'Ken Blake' wrote:
| I apologize in advance, since I hate messages pointing out spelling
| errors, unless they are critical to someone's understanding. But in
| this case, I thought the juxtaposition of the misspelling "grammer"
| and the phrase "proper spelling" humorous. ;-)
|
| I don't mean to pick on you-- I know I make more than my own share of
| typos too.
_____

Thanks for point out the spelling error, doubly embarassing since I
recommended (and use) a spell checker. I wonder how that slipped through.
'Grammer' certainly should have been picked up when the message was sent.

Phil Weldon

| On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 05:46:02 GMT, "Phil Weldon"
|

| > use good grammer and proper spelling - if possible B^) - I find a
spell
| > checker very valuable, a grammer checker completly useless,
|

| I apologize in advance, since I hate messages pointing out spelling
| errors, unless they are critical to someone's understanding. But in
| this case, I thought the juxtaposition of the misspelling "grammer"
| and the phrase "proper spelling" humorous. ;-)
|
| I don't mean to pick on you-- I know I make more than my own share of
| typos too.
|
| --
| Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
| Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Ken Blake, MVP

_____

Thanks for point out the spelling error, doubly embarassing since I
recommended (and use) a spell checker. I wonder how that slipped through.
'Grammer' certainly should have been picked up when the message was sent.

You're welcome, but I didn't mean to embarrass you.

Phil Weldon

'Ken Blake' wrote:
| You're welcome, but I didn't mean to embarrass you.
_____

Oh no, I did that all by myself B^)

Phil Weldon

| On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 20:52:34 GMT, "Phil Weldon"
|
| > 'Ken Blake' wrote:
| > | I apologize in advance, since I hate messages pointing out spelling
| > | errors, unless they are critical to someone's understanding. But in
| > | this case, I thought the juxtaposition of the misspelling "grammer"
| > | and the phrase "proper spelling" humorous. ;-)
| > |
| > | I don't mean to pick on you-- I know I make more than my own share of
| > | typos too.
| > _____
| >
| > Thanks for point out the spelling error, doubly embarassing since I
| > recommended (and use) a spell checker. I wonder how that slipped
through.
| > 'Grammer' certainly should have been picked up when the message was
sent.

| You're welcome, but I didn't mean to embarrass you.

| > |
| > |
| > spell
| > |
| > |
| > | I apologize in advance, since I hate messages pointing out spelling
| > | errors, unless they are critical to someone's understanding. But in
| > | this case, I thought the juxtaposition of the misspelling "grammer"
| > | and the phrase "proper spelling" humorous. ;-)
| > |
| > | I don't mean to pick on you-- I know I make more than my own share of
| > | typos too.
| > |
| > | --
| > | Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
| > | Please Reply to the Newsgroup
| >

| --
| Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
| Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Richard

'David of IC' wrote:

| I can not find understandable instructions on how to use Newsgroups. Can
| anyone help?
|
| I am not a computer geek and only understand normal logic, not PC logic.
_____

You are already a leg up since you used a newsreader (rather than the
Microsoft web based interface) to post. A newsreader will allow access to
tens of thousands of newsgroups (if your ISP includes these newsgroups on
their newsservers.) The Microsoft web based interface is clunky, clumsy,
and limited to microsoft.public.* newsgroups

Other than the cite 'Bert Kinney' posted and the advice from 'Sharon
Franks' and 'Ken Blake', the best learning approaches are to

read the posts in a decent newsgroup (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,
for example),

take note of the 'thread' (heirarchical) structure,

notice the reaction different styles of posts provoke,

be aware of the functioning of 'peer review' (the more knowledgable
participants tend to review posted advice for aptness and value),

avoid reacting to immature and 'acting out' posts - if possible B^),

avoid MAKING immature and 'acting out' posts,

NEVER use a real email address identity for your newsgroup posts unless
you are willing to be spammed (spammers have programs that harvest email
addresses from newsgroups) - if '(e-mail address removed)', as contained in the
header of your post, is a real email address, expect new spam withing a day
or so to that mailbox - if you wish no know how to avoid placing a real
email address in your post headers, Google search { munging newsgroup
email },

measure twice, cut once (think and organize your thoughts before
posting)

use good grammer and proper spelling - if possible B^) - I find a spell
checker very valuable, a grammer checker completly useless,

be aware of trolls - a selection of posters whose entire purpose is to
provoke and obstruct,

be aware that Usenet is international.

There are many other styles of use, you will see them all.

There are many possible types, functions, and audiences for newsgroups, you
can see them all.

There is NO supervision of Usenet newsgroup content and style, deliberatly
so. 'Peer pressure' is slow to operate, but can be very powerful.

Finally, there are no requirements for using Usenet; common sense and a
friendly approach goes a long way - no 'PC logic' is necessary, just the
ability to express yourself more or less clearly.

Phil Weldon

|I can not find understandable instructions on how to use Newsgroups. Can
| anyone help?
|
| I am not a computer geek and only understand normal logic, not PC logic.

Hi Phil,

I think you did a nice job for the OP.
I find a spell checker very valuable

I do, too, but apparently you checker was turned off when you authored
this post, e.g. "deliberatly" ;-)
Finally, there are no requirements for using Usenet

Would that it were so. I post to a lot of newsgroups with extremely
satisfactory results. But recently I was excoriated on some newsgroup
for "top posting" and using "Google Groups."

Weird, eh?

Best wishes,
Richard

Phil Weldon

'Richard' wrote:
| I think you did a nice job for the OP.
|
| > I find a spell checker very valuable
|
| I do, too, but apparently you checker was turned off when you authored
| this post, e.g. "deliberatly" ;-)
|
| > Finally, there are no requirements for using Usenet
|
| Would that it were so. I post to a lot of newsgroups with extremely
| satisfactory results. But recently I was excoriated on some newsgroup
| for "top posting" and using "Google Groups."
_____

Thanks for the kind word. And I have now re-enabled spellchecking on
'Send'.

Some requirements exist only in certain minds B^)

Phil Weldon

| > 'David of IC' wrote:
| >
| > | I can not find understandable instructions on how to use Newsgroups.
Can
| > | anyone help?
| > |
| > | I am not a computer geek and only understand normal logic, not PC
logic.
| > _____
| >
| > You are already a leg up since you used a newsreader (rather than the
| > Microsoft web based interface) to post. A newsreader will allow access
| > tens of thousands of newsgroups (if your ISP includes these newsgroups
on
| > their newsservers.) The Microsoft web based interface is clunky,
clumsy,
| > and limited to microsoft.public.* newsgroups
| >
| > Other than the cite 'Bert Kinney' posted and the advice from 'Sharon
| > Franks' and 'Ken Blake', the best learning approaches are to
| >
| > read the posts in a decent newsgroup
(microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,
| > for example),
| >
| > take note of the 'thread' (heirarchical) structure,
| >
| > notice the reaction different styles of posts provoke,
| >
| > be aware of the functioning of 'peer review' (the more knowledgable
| > participants tend to review posted advice for aptness and value),
| >
| > avoid reacting to immature and 'acting out' posts - if possible B^),
| >
| > avoid MAKING immature and 'acting out' posts,
| >
| > NEVER use a real email address identity for your newsgroup posts
unless
| > you are willing to be spammed (spammers have programs that harvest email
| > addresses from newsgroups) - if '(e-mail address removed)', as contained in
the
| > header of your post, is a real email address, expect new spam withing a
day
| > or so to that mailbox - if you wish no know how to avoid placing a real
| > email address in your post headers, Google search { munging newsgroup
| > email },
| >
| > measure twice, cut once (think and organize your thoughts before
| > posting)
| >
| > use good grammer and proper spelling - if possible B^) - I find a
spell
| > checker very valuable, a grammer checker completly useless,
| >
| > be aware of trolls - a selection of posters whose entire purpose is
| > provoke and obstruct,
| >
| > be aware that Usenet is international.
| >
| > There are many other styles of use, you will see them all.
| >
| > There are many possible types, functions, and audiences for newsgroups,
you
| > can see them all.
| >
| > There is NO supervision of Usenet newsgroup content and style,
deliberatly
| > so. 'Peer pressure' is slow to operate, but can be very powerful.
| >
| > Finally, there are no requirements for using Usenet; common sense and a
| > friendly approach goes a long way - no 'PC logic' is necessary, just the
| > ability to express yourself more or less clearly.
| >
| > Phil Weldon

message| > |I can not find understandable instructions on how to use Newsgroups.
Can
| > | anyone help?
| > |
| > | I am not a computer geek and only understand normal logic, not PC
logic.
| > |
| > |

| Hi Phil,
|
| I think you did a nice job for the OP.
|
| > I find a spell checker very valuable
|
| I do, too, but apparently you checker was turned off when you authored
| this post, e.g. "deliberatly" ;-)
|
| > Finally, there are no requirements for using Usenet
|
| Would that it were so. I post to a lot of newsgroups with extremely
| satisfactory results. But recently I was excoriated on some newsgroup
| for "top posting" and using "Google Groups."
|
| Weird, eh?
|
| Best wishes,
| Richard

Richard

Hi Phil,

I think you did a nice job for the OP.

I do, too, but apparently you checker was turned off when you authored
this post, e.g. "deliberatly" ;-)

Would that it were so. I post to a lot of newsgroups with extremely
satisfactory results. But recently I was excoriated on some newsgroup
for "top posting" and using "Google Groups."

Weird, eh?

Best wishes,
Richard
apparently you checker

And clearly my grammar checker wasn't working, er, except I don't use
any because I find them to be too unsophisticated for "real, work-a-
day" English. :)

Andrew Murray

You post a question.....other users will try to help you by giving an answer
based on the information you give, and on their knowledge and expertise.....

You've already successfully posted a question (this one : "How do you use
newsgroups?").

You're half-way there; all you need to do now is frequently check back and
monitor your question for responses.