How To Turn Off Windows Messenger?

how do i turn off windows messenger in XP Home edition? i`ve stopped the
programme & exited it,but i still get a message saying that the program is
still running when i try to check the speed of my internet connection on BT
Yahoo Broadband.
Any help would be appreciated.

Raoul

When someone figures this out let me know too. Somebody needs to bend
Microsofts' ear and let them know that when we terminate an
appication....that means terminate...not to pop up again in a minute or so
stealing cycles.

how do i turn off windows messenger in XP Home edition? i`ve stopped the
programme & exited it,but i still get a message saying that the program is
still running when i try to check the speed of my internet connection on BT
Yahoo Broadband.
Any help would be appreciated.

radspanner

i did it by going to outlook express,clicking on tools at the top of th
page.... then on the general tag i unclicked where it says automaticall
log on to windows messenger.....maybe there are other ways but it worke
for me

radspanner

radspanner said:
i did it by going to outlook express,clicking on tools at the top of th
page.... then on the general tag i unclicked where it says automaticall
log on to windows messenger.....maybe there are other ways but it worke
for me.

i forgot to mention that on the tools bit click at the bottom o
option

Raoul

Oh how I wish that worked for me!

i did it by going to outlook express,clicking on tools at the top of the
page.... then on the general tag i unclicked where it says automatically
log on to windows messenger.....maybe there are other ways but it worked
for me.

i forgot to mention that on the tools bit click at the bottom on
options

GTS

You're confusing Windows Messenger and the messenger service. They are two
different problems.

RRR_News

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

Oh how I wish that worked for me!

i did it by going to outlook express,clicking on tools at the top of the
page.... then on the general tag i unclicked where it says automatically
log on to windows messenger.....maybe there are other ways but it worked
for me.

i forgot to mention that on the tools bit click at the bottom on
options

RRR_News

To uninstall MS Messenger:
Control Panel> Add/Remove Programs> Select Add/Remove Windows Components from side table> Clear check box for "Windows Messenger"> OK/Apply. I would then reboot PC, even if it does not require it to. That is just the way I handle, installing/uninstalling programs.

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

Oh how I wish that worked for me!

i did it by going to outlook express,clicking on tools at the top of the
page.... then on the general tag i unclicked where it says automatically
log on to windows messenger.....maybe there are other ways but it worked
for me.

i forgot to mention that on the tools bit click at the bottom on
options

Mac

Bhoydavid said:
how do i turn off windows messenger in XP Home edition? i`ve stopped the
programme & exited it,but i still get a message saying that the program is
still running when i try to check the speed of my internet connection on BT
Yahoo Broadband.
Any help would be appreciated.

Ok guys, with the SP2 upgrade i believe this is easier now. This
should work:

Go to the control-panel, click add-remove programs. One add-remove is
open, on the left side of your programs that are listed you will see
an icon for "Add/Remove Windows Components", One of the listings is in
there Windows Messenger. Un-tick the box and save. it will go through
something and remove it from working. If you ever want to have it
back, you can get it back by ticking the box in the same place and
saving..

....B.M.

John H

At various other times on the groups the following having been said re
messenger removaL TRY THEM,
John H