How to stretch wallpapers with 'center' settings?

G

I'm not sure if I put the question in the subject line correct, but I'll further explain my problem

I recently installed XP in a new drive. Wallpapers now won't stretch to fit the screen. Before, in my old drive, small (portraits) pictures that are set as wallpapers will stretch to fit the screen proportionately even when set as 'center' (not 'stretch'). The 'stretch' setting makes my pictures out of proportions.

For example, I used to set a small portrait picture as desktop background on the 'center' setting, the top and bottom of the picture will stretch to touch the edge of the screen while leaving the two left and right sides blank as the background colour. Now, the portrait picture just sits in the middle of the screen with black (background colour) on all four sides. If set to 'stretch' my portrait picture will stretch to all sides and the person in the portrait picture would appear really fat!

Another example, a landscape picture is larger than the screen and set as wallpaper. Before, on 'center' setting, the landscape picture would shrink to fit the screen proportionately. Now, I can only see the center of the landscape picture, the surrounding four sides are 'truncated' off screen. My landscape picture isn't exactly in proportion with the screen, it is slightly wider than the screen. Before, set to 'center', it would shrink so that the two (left and right) sides touch the edge of the screen and leave the top and bottom blank (like watching DVDs). Now, I can only see the middle of the landscape picture. If I set it to 'stretch', the picture stretches to all sides and my landscape would look really 'tall' !

I hope I have detailed this in an understandable manner, I desperately need help. Thank you.

G

Nope, that doesn't work. It stretches the images out of their original proportions. But thanks for the link, lots of helpful stuff there. :) Does anyone has any other suggestions?

D

D.Currie

Kinster said:
Nope, that doesn't work. It stretches the images out of their original
proportions. But thanks for the link, lots of helpful stuff there. :) Does
anyone has any other suggestions?

Import it into some graphic program and crop it so that when it stretches,
it's in the correct proportion. If you don't want to crop the picture,
create a border that is the correct size. You'll see part of the border on
the screen, but the photo will remain in proportion.

By the way, considering you didn't quote any of the answer you got, no one
knows what doesn't work or what was suggested to you, so you may end up
getting repeated answers.

G

----- D.Currie wrote: ----

Kinster said:
Nope, that doesn't work. It stretches the images out of their origina
proportions. But thanks for the link, lots of helpful stuff there. :) Doe
anyone has any other suggestions

Import it into some graphic program and crop it so that when it stretches
it's in the correct proportion. If you don't want to crop the picture
create a border that is the correct size. You'll see part of the border o
the screen, but the photo will remain in proportion

By the way, considering you didn't quote any of the answer you got, no on
knows what doesn't work or what was suggested to you, so you may end u
getting repeated answers

I'm sorry I didn't quote, I'm new here. Is this how you quote
Anyway, thanks for your suggestion of cropping the picture. But I don't want to crop the picture. I used to put any pictures as desktop background and they would all shrink or stretch proportionately to fit the screen. Now I'm pretty convinced it's not my re-installation of Windows XP that's caused it not to work anymore. I must've had some other software that enables this unique feature for setting wallpapers. I suspect it's ACDSee. Does anyone have any experience with ACDSee and are willing to help me?

K

Kelly

Sorry to hear that, most welcome and thanks. BTW, is best to include the
body within your reply. Good luck. :blush:)

Ask a Question