How to sove a Windows Stop Error?

scs

I installed WinXP on a friends system that has some of the following
components:
Soyo SY-P4I865PE Plus Dragon 2 Mother Board
Verto GeForce 4 MX4000 AGP
Trendnet TFM PCIV92I Modem

Almost everything is working great. She uses MSN dialup. About one out of
10 times the system reboots while trying to go online. After the system
reboots it give this information on the send to microsoft dialog.

Error type : Windows stop error (A message appears on a blue screen
with error code information)
Solution available? : No (see Next steps)
What does this error mean? : Windows has encountered an error from
which it cannot recover and needs to restart
Cause : Unknown device driver
Computer symptoms : A message appears on a blue screen with error code
information (for example: e.g. 0x0000001E, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED)
Additional steps for you to take : Important: Please continue to send
error reports so analysts at Microsoft can study and try to correct the
problem as quickly as possible

It also gives these details:
Error Signature
BCCode : 100000d1 BCP1 : 666E4920 BCP2 : 00000002 BCP3 :
00000000
BCP4 : 666E4920 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1
The following files will be included in this report:
C:\DOCUME~1\Kathie\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERcbf3.dir00\Mini022406-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Kathie\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERcbf3.dir00\sysdata.xml

I have tried to download the latest drivers for the modem especially. I ran
Checkit tests on all hardware with no error messages.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot or fix this would be greatly
appreciated. Please note that I have posted this in a couple of newsgroups.

Thanks,
Steve

Ron Martell

scs said:
[...]

See MVP Jim Eshelman's web page for STOP errors at
http://www.aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

For the KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED click on the "1E: KMode
Exception..." link in the left side column.

For the "BCCode : 100000d1" item click on the "D1: Driver IRQL..."
item in the right side column.

If the automatic rebooting is a problem or an annoyance use Control
Panel - System - Advanced and click on the Settings button in the
Startup and Recovery (bottom) section. In the Startup and Recovery
section click on the checkbox for "automatically restart" to clear it.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
On-Line Help Computer Service

has never been in bed with a mosquito."

scs

Thanks for the help everyone. I'll try the suggestions as soon as possible
and post back the results. The ASPI version seems odd but I hope that's it.
I don't have the system right now, but to my knowledge there are no SCSI
devices. I do remember seeing a third controller besides primary and
secondary in device manager which looked strange to me. She has a CD ROM
and a DVD drive installed so maybe? Regardless I'll search for aspi.sys or
aspi32.sys and update it if it exists. I'll also try reseating the
hardware. I remember once the modem fell out of its slot.

Mistoffolees

scs said:
Thanks for the help everyone. I'll try the suggestions as soon as possible
and post back the results. The ASPI version seems odd but I hope that's it.
I don't have the system right now, but to my knowledge there are no SCSI
devices. I do remember seeing a third controller besides primary and
secondary in device manager which looked strange to me. She has a CD ROM
and a DVD drive installed so maybe? Regardless I'll search for aspi.sys or
aspi32.sys and update it if it exists. I'll also try reseating the
hardware. I remember once the modem fell out of its slot.

<<snipped>

A CD-ripping application may invoke ASPI or ASPI32. IIRC,
Nero also needs ASPI or ASPI32 to be present. It is not a
factor whether a true SCSI device is present but whether
SCSI commands are being called, such as to open the CD
drawer to eject a cdrom. (Remember, the first such devices
were SCSI and not IDE). If updated ASPI drivers are needed,
check the Adaptec website or do a Google search for a source
to download them.

Brett I. Holcomb

You're welcome. Sometimes it's not that you have a SCSI device but some
apps want aspi.

Jason Tan

Hello,

Thanks for posting!

Based on your description, since this is a BSOD issue, to locate the exact
problem of the stop error, we may need to analyze the crash dump file.
Unfortunately, we cannot help you analyze the dump file in newsgroup. To
trouble shoot this problem efficiently, I suggest that you speak directly
with a Microsoft Support Professional so that the crash dump can be
analyzed. Here are some articles that will help prepare you for this call:

314103 Preparation Before You Contact Microsoft After Receiving a STOP
Message on a Blue Screen
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314103

314084 How to gather information after a memory dump in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314084

For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) phone
numbers and information about support costs, please go to the following
address on the World Wide Web:

<http://support.microsoft.com/directory/overview.asp>

Hope the information helps.

Best Regards,

Jason Tan

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "scs" <[email protected]>
| Subject: How to sove a Windows Stop Error?
| Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 19:49:47 -0800
| Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,micro
soft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support

| I installed WinXP on a friends system that has some of the following
| components:
| Soyo SY-P4I865PE Plus Dragon 2 Mother Board
| Verto GeForce 4 MX4000 AGP
| Trendnet TFM PCIV92I Modem
|
| Almost everything is working great. She uses MSN dialup. About one out
of
| 10 times the system reboots while trying to go online. After the system
| reboots it give this information on the send to microsoft dialog.
|
| Error type : Windows stop error (A message appears on a blue screen
| with error code information)
| Solution available? : No (see Next steps)
| What does this error mean? : Windows has encountered an error from
| which it cannot recover and needs to restart
| Cause : Unknown device driver
| Computer symptoms : A message appears on a blue screen with error
code
| information (for example: e.g. 0x0000001E, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED)
| Additional steps for you to take : Important: Please continue to
send
| error reports so analysts at Microsoft can study and try to correct the
| problem as quickly as possible
|

| It also gives these details:
| Error Signature
| BCCode : 100000d1 BCP1 : 666E4920 BCP2 : 00000002 BCP3 :
| 00000000
| BCP4 : 666E4920 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1
| The following files will be included in this report:
| C:\DOCUME~1\Kathie\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERcbf3.dir00\Mini022406-01.dmp
| C:\DOCUME~1\Kathie\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERcbf3.dir00\sysdata.xml
|
| I have tried to download the latest drivers for the modem especially. I
ran
| Checkit tests on all hardware with no error messages.
|
| Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot or fix this would be greatly
| appreciated. Please note that I have posted this in a couple of
newsgroups.

| Thanks,
| Steve

I get the same exact message---

| C:\DOCUME~1\Kathie\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERcbf3.dir00\Mini022406-01.dmp
| C:\DOCUME~1\Kathie\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERcbf3.dir00\sysdata.xml

What is going on? I have not had trouble like this before I downloaded
Picasso and
google earth. Had to do a system restore back a few days to get back
up...then
the same blue screen and above message...HELP PLEASE!

scs

Thanks everyone! I have arranged to work on the system again Wed evening.
I will post an update then.

scs

Thanks for everyones help! No aspi.sys or aspi32.sys present. I changed
the restart setting under startup and recovery. I attempted to get the
modem to dial up a few times and got the details for the error:

STOP: 0X000000D1, (0X75674C4A, 0X00000002, 0X00000000, 0X75674C4A)

I opened up the case and the modem was not seated all the way in. Reseated
and connected about 15 times with no error. I'm thinking that was it.

Thanks for all the help!