How to set Windows 2000 accounts to set Regional Options (Date and Time formats) upon logon?

Jerold Schulman

How can I set certain accounts on the Win 2000 server so that after they log
on their Regional Options (Date and Time formats) are set for their logon
duration?

Thanks,

This article seems to be NT 4.0 only:

This article:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q323639&
seems complicated, but is it the easiest way to do this?
Create custom ADM, tip 3614 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com
See tip 311 and 3452 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com

Jerold Schulman
Windows Server MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com

jake

I found a number of ways to do this (see below) , but I don't know which
method is easiest and best for us.
We are only concerned with certain Active Directory accounts on Win 2000 Pro
workstations, we don't use roaming profiles and don't lock down the
machines.

My research:

How to set Regional Options (Time and Date Short Date Formats) on Domain
accounts in Active Directory for Windows 2000 Server and Win 2000 pro
workstations.

There is no built-in policy to set the regional options. You need to create
Custom Administrative Templates to do what you want. Here are some ref for
you.http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q323639&HOW TO:
Create Custom Administrative Templates in Windows
2000http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q216661How to
Implement a Policy to Set the Date Format( Looks like NT 4 only I think)

------------------

I want to know the procedure to set the short date format in regional
options to dd/mm/yyyy through group policy. This by default will be
mm/dd/yyyy when a new user logs on to a PC, if the Your Locale Field is
English United States in the General tab of Regional Options in Control
Panel of Windows 2000 Professional PC.Message 2 in thread

From: Dragos CAMARA ([email protected])
Subject: RE: Enforce Short Date Style for users through Policy

View this article only

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
Date: 2004-09-09 02:03:42 PST

You should make a login script like this:Const HKEY_CURRENT_USER =
&H80000001Dim objRegistry Set objRegistry =
GetObject("winmgmts:root\default:StdRegProv")sPath = "Control
Panel\International" lRC = objRegistry.SetStringValue(HKEY_CURRENT_USER, _
sPath, _ "iDate", _
"1") lRC = objRegistry.SetStringValue(HKEY_CURRENT_USER, _
sPath, _ "sDate", _
"/") lRC = objRegistry.SetStringValue(HKEY_CURRENT_USER, _
sPath, _ "sCountry", _
"United States") lRC = objRegistry.SetStringValue(HKEY_CURRENT_USER, _
sPath, _ "sShortDate", _
"dd/MM/yyyy") lRC = objRegistry.SetStringValue(HKEY_CURRENT_USER, _
sPath, _ "sLongDate", _
"dd/MM/yyyy")

HiI assume you are thinking about the sShortDate value under the registry
key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International You can push out that
registry value with a GPO using a custom administrative template
("tattooing" the registry on the clients)... HOW TO: Create Custom
Administrative Templates in Windows
2000http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=323639 225087 Writing Custom ADM
Files for System Policy Editorhttp://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=225087
Implementing Registry-Based Group Policy - white
paperhttp://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWS2000/techinfo/howitworks/management/rbp
paper.asp
andhttp://groups.google.com/groups?selm=hqLijhCjEHA.2968%40cpmsftngxa10.phx.
gbl

From Russ:

Using Silent Configurations
You might want to change a computer's Regional and Language Options silently
after the initial installation. For example, if your organization locks down
the desktop to prevent a group of users from accessing the Control Panel,
you can update that group's Regional and Language Options by using a Group
Policy-applied logon script.In these situations, you can use Rundll32.exe to
call the Regional and Language Options Control Panel with an answer file
that specifies the appropriate settings. The syntax for calling Rundll32.exe
from the command line is as follows:Rundll32 shell32,Control_RunDLL
intl.cpl,,/f:"c:\unattend.txt"The answer file specified in c:\unattend.txt
must contain a [RegionalSettings] section that specifies the appropriate
regional and language settings.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prff_mul_aqnz.asp
Changing Language and Regional Options
The format of the answer file specified in a silent configuration is exactly
the same as that used during setup. This means that all of the
[RegionalSettings] options can be changed silently after the initial
installation. The following is an example of a silent configuration that:

a.. Adds the "German - German" input language for the current user.
b.. Adds the "German - Swiss German" input language to the list of input
languages for the default user.
c.. Configures the language for non-Unicode programs to German.
[RegionalSettings]InputLocale="0407:00000407"InputLocale_DefaultUser="0407:0
0000807"SystemLocale="0407"If you specify multiple input languages for the
InputLocale and InputLocale_DefaultUser keys, the first value specified will
be set as the default for that particular user. In the following example,
the InputLocale will set "German - German" as the default input language for
the current user while also making "German - Swiss German" available as an
input language.

[RegionalSettings]InputLocale="0407:00000407", "0407:00000807"

jake
It looks like the only way to do this to create a registry entry in the
startup folder for 'all users' so that it will use the M/d/yyyy format...
KJ

From: Dragos CAMARA ([email protected])

View this article only

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory