How to prevent timeout disconnection in workgroup LAN ?

P

Peter Eisenman

I can successfully establish a network connection in inhouse LAN between two computers of the same Workgroup
(=not Domain based).

The connection is initiated from a Win2000 system by a "net use" command line command to a WinXP+SP2
system.

I mapped a folder of the remote WinXP system to a local network drive K: in my WinExplorer.
It works fine.

However I had to notice that after a while (approx 20 minutes) of NO network traffic
the connection seems to disconnect.

When I e.g. want to transfer another file from my local hard drive to the remote system
through WinEXplorer it lasts at minimum 30 sec until my local WinExplorer found the remote system back again
and re-logined.

How can I prevent this timeout disconnect? Is there something like a heart beat connection ping tool/option?

Alternatively: how do I speedup the re-login when (after a while) a new file transfer is invoked ?

Peter

C

Chuck

I can successfully establish a network connection in inhouse LAN between two computers of the same Workgroup
(=not Domain based).

The connection is initiated from a Win2000 system by a "net use" command line command to a WinXP+SP2
system.

I mapped a folder of the remote WinXP system to a local network drive K: in my WinExplorer.
It works fine.

However I had to notice that after a while (approx 20 minutes) of NO network traffic

When I e.g. want to transfer another file from my local hard drive to the remote system
through WinEXplorer it lasts at minimum 30 sec until my local WinExplorer found the remote system back again
and re-logined.

How can I prevent this timeout disconnect? Is there something like a heart beat connection ping tool/option?

Alternatively: how do I speedup the re-login when (after a while) a new file transfer is invoked ?

Peter

Peter,

There is a timeout setting that you can make. If you have a number of
computers, and are approaching connection limit problems, you set the timeout
down. In your case, with just 2 computers, you can set the timeout up.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/07/server-availability-affected-by.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/07/server-availability-affected-by.html

D

daytripper

(=not Domain based).

system.

It works fine.

and re-logined.

Peter

Try using the Local Policy editor on the serving node to extend the idle time
the Microsoft Network Server will allow before it suspends an existing
session. The default is 15 minutes.

Alternatively, find some way to periodically refresh a file access across the
connection. If you've mapped the share, I bet you could use a simple batch
file to keep listing the contents of the root folder to the nul device...

Reaction score
You can establish a remote desktop connection , then copy a big file it should keep it on. Otherwise install Citrix Metaframe and use some timeout prevention tools as described in my blog, they periodically send data between your machine and the remote desktop to keep alive TCP/IP.

Cheers,
Mark
Network Administrator
http://usefultoolz.blogspot.com/

Last edited:

Ask a Question