how to prepare a computer to run xpe without having to install wxpp first

yoyomeltz

hello and thanks for reading this,
i want to be able to setup a computer's harddrive to be able to boot a wxpe
without having to install a full copy of wxpp first.
i have tried many ways but i cannot figure it out.

here is what i want to do.
1. format the hardrive with ntfs. not sure about the mbr.
2. copy the 70mb build image files to it.
3. reboot
4. have xpe startup running the fba.

anyone know how i might do this?

thanks so much,

Martin Grossen, eMVP [AVNET Silica]

Hi

Your steps sounds ok.
Use Windows PE for formating the new HD.
Windows PE is on the first XPE Insatllation CD.
It's bootable from CD.

Use then diskpart.exe to create the partitions and
assign the drive letters. Format (quick) will also
write you the mbr.

Under Windows PW, you can use USB storage
drives (attantion, not hot plugin an no enumerator
running: you have to connect the devices before
booting PE) or network connections (net use / share)
to copy your XPE-Image with XCOPY to your
new HD.

Be sure, you set the Target Device settings (path)
right in your image.

reboot, and yor XP-E Image will start up with FBA.

that's it,.

--

Martin Grossen, eMVP

AVNET EMG Silica
Franchise Manager Microsoft Embedded Europe

Your competent partner for Microsoft Embedded licencing

thx

Martin said:
Hi

Your steps sounds ok.
Use Windows PE for formating the new HD.
Windows PE is on the first XPE Insatllation CD.
It's bootable from CD.

Use then diskpart.exe to create the partitions and
assign the drive letters. Format (quick) will also
write you the mbr.

Under Windows PW, you can use USB storage
drives (attantion, not hot plugin an no enumerator
running: you have to connect the devices before
booting PE) or network connections (net use / share)
to copy your XPE-Image with XCOPY to your
new HD.

Be sure, you set the Target Device settings (path)
right in your image.

reboot, and yor XP-E Image will start up with FBA.

that's it,.

1. Where's WinPE on CD1? I can't find it.

Martin Grossen, eMVP [AVNET Silica]

Yep!

Boot from the CD (XP Toolkit CD1)

--

Martin Grossen, eMVP

AVNET EMG Silica
Franchise Manager Microsoft Embedded Europe

Your competent partner for Microsoft Embedded licencing

yoyomeltz

thanks,

winpe is very cool and i had it right under my nose all the time.

but..

i have tried many times and ways to follow your helpful instructions.

i used diskpart to create a partition.

then i made it active, which i do not think you mentioned.

then i formatted using nfts.

then i copied the files to it

rebooted and still i get only a solid non-blinking underscore character.

not ntdlr could be found or any text at all.

is your email address your (e-mail address removed), without the nopsam
in the domain name?

i would like to ask a few questions about licencing via email and not in
this newsgroup.

helping me here is not going to affect me writing you an email so dont feel
one is connected to the other.

thanks much,

dave

Martin Grossen, eMVP [AVNET Silica] wrote:
Hi

Your steps sounds ok.
Use Windows PE for formating the new HD.
Windows PE is on the first XPE Insatllation CD.
It's bootable from CD.

Use then diskpart.exe to create the partitions and
assign the drive letters. Format (quick) will also
write you the mbr.

Under Windows PW, you can use USB storage
drives (attantion, not hot plugin an no enumerator
running: you have to connect the devices before
booting PE) or network connections (net use / share)
to copy your XPE-Image with XCOPY to your
new HD.

Be sure, you set the Target Device settings (path)
right in your image.

reboot, and yor XP-E Image will start up with FBA.

that's it,.

1. Where's WinPE on CD1? I can't find it.

KM

dave,

You may want to search this NG archive as the same issue has been discussed here many times.

In short, try to stick with DOS tools like fdisk and format, bootprep (assuming FAT for starter). Set a non-zero timeout value in
the boot.ini and make sure you see ntldr menu. This would indicate your disk is bootable by NT loader.
(caution: always partition and format the disk on the target machine)

Next step could be ntfs or whatever you may need.

--
=========
Regards,