How to package .OCX with .ADE?

Dean Slindee

Using Access 2002, I have an .adp project where I have placed a RichTextBox
control on one of the forms. A reference to the Microsoft RichTextBox 6.0
control is checked. Since I have Richtx32.ocx in my C:\WINNT\System32
folder, the .ade works fine on my PC.

However, when I give the .ade to a user who does not have Richtx32.ocx in
his C;\WINNT\System32 folder, the form with the .ocx control fails to
display. Question: is there a way to distribute the .ocx within the .ade,
rather than copy and register the .ocx on each user's PC?

Thanks,
Dean Slindee

Alick [MSFT]

Hi Dean,

The Richtx32.ocx file can't be "embed" into your ADE or something like that
so the ADE contains all the information and it works on every
computers/clients. If the clients don't have Richtx32 control installed,
you will have to install it to make your ADE work. You can use the
Packaging Wizard shipped with Microsoft Office XP Developer to create a
distributable application, run the setup program to install your ADE to the
client users. The Packaging Wizard is a great tool that can help you create
a setup package you can then deploy to users. For information, see

Creating a Setup Package Using the Packaging Wizard.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/modcore/htm
l/detskcreatingsetuppackagewithpackagingwizard.asp

Essentially, the ocx file is included in the package and installed on the
clients.

Please feel free to reply to the post if you have any concerns or questions.

Sincerely,

Alick Ye, MCSD
Product Support Services
Microsoft Corporation