Windows XP How to install Microsoft Speech SKD 5.1?

Reaction score
I'm using XP Pro. I need speech recognition for a VB.Net program. I went to the Microsoft Speech SDK 5.1 download page http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=10121 and downloaded programs 1,2,3,4, and 6. I also unzipped them when that popup appeared. Now how do I install it? I'm using Office Professional 2007 which does not have the Alternatives listed in the features which you pull up from Add and Remove programs. How can I get Speech SDK 5.1 installed on Windows XP?

Reaction score
But how do you install it on Windows XP? I've tried the Microsoft download screen. It doesn't do it for me. Am I doing something wrong/leaving something out... or is it not possible on XP?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Supported Operating Systems

Microsoft Windows(r) NT Workstation 4.0, service pack 6a, English, Japanese or Simplified Chinese edition.
Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Workstation, English edition or English edition with Japanese or Simplified Chinese Language support.
Microsoft Windows 98. However, Windows 95 is not supported.
Microsoft Windows Millennium edition.

As far as I know, I no longer use XP, XP already has its own 'speech' program

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306537

no idea if it is any good to you.

:user:

Reaction score
Tried it. In Add or Remove Programs I click on Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007. Then Change. Then Add or Remove features. But there is no Alternative User Input.

Reaction score
Note: I typed my most-recent post in before I saw Silverhazesurfer's most recent post.

Silverhazesurfer, well I didn't think to look on the .COM tab. And there it is! I'll give it a go. Thanks.

Reaction score
Oh, no. After selecting Microsoft Speech Object 5.0 in the references for the Visual Basic project, I'm still getting a no-speech-engine found error message when I run the program.

Does this have anything to do with the fact that when I go into control panel and select speech, the speech properties still has only a text-to-speech tab and no speech object tab?

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
I must yield to the programmers of the forum, as I are not one.

However, I would think that what you see is the possible culprit. If you had the option there before and changed to the 5.0, try to revert back to the previous one. Unfortunately, I don't have much in the way of advice on how to do that. I ran a google search to find what was posted previously. Perhaps it may be beneficial to perform that function again.

Reaction score
I never had it working. The speech properties are attached. The code I'm trying to get to work is

Code:
Public Class frmActivities
    Dim gram As New System.Speech.Recognition.DictationGrammar()
    Dim WithEvents recognizer As New Speech.Recognition.SpeechRecognitionEngine
    Private Sub frmActivities_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load

recognizer.LoadGrammar(gram)

On recognizer.LoadGrammar(gram) I get a message which says "Speech recognition is not available on this system. SAPI and Speech Recognition engines cannot be found.". Help, anyone?

Attachments

• speechprops.JPG
    speechprops.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 358

Ask a Question