How to give power user access to network settings

Blaine

Hi there,
I need to give a power user account full access to Network Connections area
so that he can modify all settings. Can this be done through group policy or
do you have to modify the Registry on the machine? Can anyone point me to
the proper settings to accomplish this?

Thanks much!

Steven Umbach

In XP Pro there is a group called "network configuration operators". Add them to
that group. --- Steve

Run gpedit.ms
Look under Local Computer Policy/User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Network/Network Connection
There you'll find lots of things to mess with....

Blaine

Thanks,
It looks like these settings are approximate to putting the user into the
"network configuration operators" group (as noted in the post above). I did
try them, however, but resulted in the same.

What I was hoping to go for was allowing the user "administrative" rights to
the network connections area without allowing him those same rights to the
rest of the system. There must be a reg hack to accomplish this. (there is a
method to my madness, I swear)

Any other thoughts?

Alan said:
Run gpedit.msc
Look under Local Computer Policy/User Configuration/Administrative
Templates/Network/Network Connections

Joe Wu [MSFT]

Hello,

Thank you for your posts.

The user account privileges are not set in registry. Therefore, we cannot
delegate the right by ajusting registry settings.

Actually, it is not recommended that we adjust the default security
settings because this may lead to some potential security issues.

So there is limited access to user privileges configuration. Generally, we
can try the following methods:

1. Add the account into a certain group.
2. Use NTRIGHTS.exe (a Resource Kit tool) to adjust the account's rights.
3. Configure policies.

In this issue, I think that we can try the "Network Configuration
Operators" group. After being added into this group, the account should be
able to change almost all the network connection configurations, including:

1. Modify the TCP/IP properties for a local area network (LAN) connection,
which includes the IP address, the subnet mask, the default gateway, and
the name servers.

2. Rename the LAN connections or remote access connections that are
available to all of the users.

3. Enable or disable a LAN connection.

4. Modify the properties of all of the remote access connections of the
user.

5. Delete all of the remote access connections of the user.

6. Rename all of the remote access connections of the user.

7. Issue ipconfig, release, or renew commands.

However, the "Network Configuration Operators" member cannot add/remove
Protocol/Client here because these operations require accessing and
changing some system folders/hives (if the Power User account can do these,
he should be able to do many other operations as an Administrator account).
If you want to adjust these network configurations, I would like to suggest
that you perform these operations as Administrator.

I hope the above information helps. Thank you for using our news groups!

Regards,
Joe Wu
Product Support Services
Microsoft Corporation