how to get rid of invalid/useless registry keys

V

VR

hey!

was just wondering is there a safe way to get rid of
useless registry keys? or should i not touch it at all?

also, how do i remove entries under "startup" in msconfig
which programs i have already deleted?

cheers,
VR

G

If you need to ask if you can delete useless registry keys then you don't know whether they are useless or not and my advice is to leave them alone. The registry is the heart of you OS and although it isn't the deep dark dungeon that some make it out to be you can destroy your OS by deleting or modifying the wrong thing. That being said I will show you how to remove the uchecked items in msconfig\startup.ini and once you get your feet wet then you may do some searching for tweaks that will improve the OS rather than trying to delete what you don't know. Tools like JV16 Power Tools have an excellent registry cleaner that the novice can use. Here's the route go>start\run and type in regedit and hit ok. Now follow this route by clicking the + HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \Software\Microsoft\SharedTools\MSConfig\StartupFolder and StartupReg Click them one at a time to open the sub keys and right click on your the program you unchecked and then click delete and the entry will disappear from MSConfig\startup.ini Have fun.

Ask a Question