How to email blast when ISP limits outbound number of messages?

Gregg Hill

Diane,

How can one send to 500 people if one's ISP limits messages to about 50
recipients per message? I just had someone tell me that he has to break down
his email blast to his clients into groups of 25-30 or they will not send.
He has almost 500 people to whom he sends a monthly update.

No, he is not a spammer. These people are his legitimate clients.

Gregg Hill

tedmi

Another option is to set up a group on Yahoo or Google and enter the client's
addresses there. Yahoo limits you to signing up 100 addresses per day, so it
would take 5 days to load up all that you need.

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

With a list that large, I'd look into using real list software. I'd avoid
yahoogroups for business, but there are apps you can run on your network
(and with your domain) that will send them 1 at a time... you may or may not
hit limits with the ISP though - some have min and/or hourly limits too.

You can use mail merge so only 1 name per message or a utility that slows
sending so you don't hit limits. See
http://www.slipstick.com/addins/massmail.asp for a list of utilities.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

(e-mail address removed)

newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

I agree with Diane. Using a Yahoo or Google group isn't going to look
professional. Plus, given that you can expect a 10% bounce rate for any mass
mailing, does he really want to be going by hand through 50 or so
non-delivery reports every time to see who needs to be deleted from the list
or get an address update? Any purpose-built mass mailing application, whether
hosted or local, should be able to process those NDRs and make that task
easier. Some ISPs also offer Mailman or other list software as part of their
package; it doesn't hurt to ask.
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming: Jumpstart

Gregg Hill said:
Diane,

How can one send to 500 people if one's ISP limits messages to about 50
recipients per message? I just had someone tell me that he has to break
down his email blast to his clients into groups of 25-30 or they will not
send. He has almost 500 people to whom he sends a monthly update.

No, he is not a spammer. These people are his legitimate clients.

Gregg Hill

Gregg Hill

Thank you to all who responded!

Gregg Hill

Diane Poremsky said:
With a list that large, I'd look into using real list software. I'd avoid
yahoogroups for business, but there are apps you can run on your network
(and with your domain) that will send them 1 at a time... you may or may
not
hit limits with the ISP though - some have min and/or hourly limits too.

You can use mail merge so only 1 name per message or a utility that slows
sending so you don't hit limits. See
http://www.slipstick.com/addins/massmail.asp for a list of utilities.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

(e-mail address removed)

http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point
your
newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

"Gregg Hill" <greggmhill at please do not spam me at yahoo dot com> wrote
in
message news:[email protected]...
Diane,

How can one send to 500 people if one's ISP limits messages to about 50
recipients per message? I just had someone tell me that he has to break
down his email blast to his clients into groups of 25-30 or they will
not
send. He has almost 500 people to whom he sends a monthly update.

No, he is not a spammer. These people are his legitimate clients.

Gregg Hill

M.S. Hanenkrat

Due to the constant DoS attacks on mail servers in the United States these days, ISP's are forced to limit the number of recipients per email. We used to limit the recipients to 100, then 50, and finally, today, it's down to 25.

If you must send out more emails,then break your lists down to whatever your ISP limits and send 10 to 20 emails with 25 recipients each. More than that, seek a professional email service.

Gregg Hill wrote:

How to email blast when ISP limits outbound number of messages?
07-Sep-08

[...]

Either break it into groups that are within the ISPs limits, get a different
Either break it into groups that are within the ISPs limits, get a
different ISP that doesn't limit you, or use a 3rd party service that
will send out your e-mail blasts for you.

--
-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, MVP

:

With a list that large, I'd look into using real list software.
With a list that large, I'd look into using real list software. I'd avoid
yahoogroups for business, but there are apps you can run on your network
(and with your domain) that will send them 1 at a time... you may or may not
hit limits with the ISP though - some have min and/or hourly limits too.

You can use mail merge so only 1 name per message or a utility that slows
sending so you don't hit limits. See
http://www.slipstick.com/addins/massmail.asp for a list of utilities.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

(e-mail address removed)

newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

"Gregg Hill" <greggmhill at please do not spam me at yahoo dot com> wrote in
message
I agree with Diane.
I agree with Diane. Using a Yahoo or Google group isn't going to look
professional. Plus, given that you can expect a 10% bounce rate for any mass
mailing, does he really want to be going by hand through 50 or so
non-delivery reports every time to see who needs to be deleted from the list
or get an address update? Any purpose-built mass mailing application, whether
hosted or local, should be able to process those NDRs and make that task
easier. Some ISPs also offer Mailman or other list software as part of their
package; it doesn't hurt to ask.
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming: Jumpstart

:

Thank you to all who responded!
Thank you to all who responded!

Gregg Hill

Get Silverlight 4 Installed: Tips and Tricks
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...b-f54c56a64ed9/get-silverlight-4-install.aspx

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

A mail merge and a utility the limits the number of messages per minute will
get past most isp limitations - unless they have a daily limit. But it
really is better to use a commercial service for large blasts. They'll send
a lot faster than outlook ever can.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:
mailto:[email protected]

mailto:[email protected]

New Poll: What type of email account is your main account?

in message news:[email protected]...

Tom Willett

Reckon that poster from 2008 you are replying to will come back to see your
reply?

<M.S. Hanenkrat> wrote in message : Due to the constant DoS attacks on mail servers in the United States these
days, ISP's are forced to limit the number of recipients per email. We used
to limit the recipients to 100, then 50, and finally, today, it's down to
25.
:
: If you must send out more emails,then break your lists down to whatever
your ISP limits and send 10 to 20 emails with 25 recipients each. More than
that, seek a professional email service.
:
:
:
: Gregg Hill wrote:
:
: How to email blast when ISP limits outbound number of messages?
: 07-Sep-08
:
: Diane,
:
: How can one send to 500 people if one's ISP limits messages to about 50
: recipients per message? I just had someone tell me that he has to break
down
: his email blast to his clients into groups of 25-30 or they will not send.
: He has almost 500 people to whom he sends a monthly update.
:
: No, he is not a spammer. These people are his legitimate clients.
:
: Gregg Hill
:
:
: On Sunday, September 07, 2008 2:40 AM
: Gregg Hill wrote:
:
: How to email blast when ISP limits outbound number of messages?
: Diane,
:
: How can one send to 500 people if one's ISP limits messages to about 50
: recipients per message? I just had someone tell me that he has to break
down
: his email blast to his clients into groups of 25-30 or they will not send.
: He has almost 500 people to whom he sends a monthly update.
:
: No, he is not a spammer. These people are his legitimate clients.
:
: Gregg Hill
:
: On Sunday, September 07, 2008 3:03 AM
: Ben M. Schorr - MVP (OneNote) wrote:
:
: Either break it into groups that are within the ISPs limits, get a
different
: Either break it into groups that are within the ISPs limits, get a
: different ISP that doesn't limit you, or use a 3rd party service that
: will send out your e-mail blasts for you.
:
: --
: -Ben-
: Ben M. Schorr, MVP
: Roland Schorr & Tower
: http://www.rolandschorr.com
: http://www.officeforlawyers.com
: Author - The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook 2007:
: http://tinyurl.com/5m3f5q
:
:
:
: "Gregg Hill" <greggmhill at please do not spam me at yahoo dot com>
: wrote in message :
: On Sunday, September 07, 2008 8:09 AM
: tedm wrote:
:
: Another option is to set up a group on Yahoo or Google and enter the
client's
: Another option is to set up a group on Yahoo or Google and enter the
client's
: addresses there. Yahoo limits you to signing up 100 addresses per day, so
it
: would take 5 days to load up all that you need.
: --
: TedMi
:
:
: "Ben M. Schorr - MVP (OneNote)" wrote:
:
: On Sunday, September 07, 2008 9:17 AM
: Diane Poremsky [MVP] wrote:
:
[...]
: (e-mail address removed)
:
: EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:
: (e-mail address removed)
:
: You can access this newsgroup by visiting
: http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point your
: newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.
:
:
: "Gregg Hill" <greggmhill at please do not spam me at yahoo dot com> wrote
in
: message :
: On Sunday, September 07, 2008 9:53 AM
: suemv wrote:
:
: I agree with Diane.
: I agree with Diane. Using a Yahoo or Google group isn't going to look
: professional. Plus, given that you can expect a 10% bounce rate for any
mass
: mailing, does he really want to be going by hand through 50 or so
: non-delivery reports every time to see who needs to be deleted from the
list
: or get an address update? Any purpose-built mass mailing application,
whether
: hosted or local, should be able to process those NDRs and make that task
: easier. Some ISPs also offer Mailman or other list software as part of
their
: package; it doesn't hurt to ask.
: --
: Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
: Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming: Jumpstart
: for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers
:
:
:
:
: "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:
:
: On Sunday, September 07, 2008 6:14 PM
: Gregg Hill wrote:
:
: Thank you to all who responded!
: Thank you to all who responded!
:
: Gregg Hill
:
:
: Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice
: Get Silverlight 4 Installed: Tips and Tricks
:
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...b-f54c56a64ed9/get-silverlight-4-install.aspx

Jay Parker

Diane if your friend sends email regularly to his/her subscribers, using a standard email delivery will definite be limited and time consuming.

Email service like Dada Mail and PHPlist allows you to schedule and limit the per/hour send so you don't go over your limit.

Also hosting if one of the most important thing you should consider as their email send limit are usually a lot more than Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo and AOL.

Here's a list of different service providers and their comparison:

http://www.bigdealsonweb.com/193/hostings-maximum-daily-hourly-email-sending-limit/

I hope that helps

On Friday, April 30, 2010 10:37 PM Diane Poremsky [MVP] wrote:
A mail merge and a utility the limits the number of messages per minute will
get past most isp limitations - unless they have a daily limit. But it
really is better to use a commercial service for large blasts. They'll send
a lot faster than outlook ever can.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:
mailto:[email protected]

mailto:[email protected]

New Poll: What type of email account is your main account?
Book Review: Excel 2010 - The Missing Manual [OReilly]
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...w-excel-2010--the-missing-manual-oreilly.aspx