• Daily

Votes: 30 13.7%
  • Weekly

Votes: 48 21.9%
  • Monthly

Votes: 46 21.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
I cant believe how many people dont back up!! Hard drive failure happened to me once and i lost about 500 digital photo's,they would mean nothing to any body else but an awful lot to me infact irreplaceable.I started backing up onto cd,will get a dvd burner when i upgrade computer,but soon got fed up with how much they dont hold.I bought a V-TEC Titanium 80 gb external hard drive and its as simple as drag and drop also if we ever had a fire it would be pick it up and run away and i still have all my photos, videos,documents and reciepts.Loosing files is not a nice experiance so back up guy's you know it makes sense.

Reaction score
A ditial document is worth a thousand words

I've been a strong proponent of backing up for years. And since I've just purchased a digital camera with two 512meg memory cards, my backups have never been easier!

I use to backup my files using my old VHS camcorder. (Let me tell you, you haven't seen a more boring video than watching two hours of documents recorded from a computer monitor!) Trying to locate a file was a nightmare! Now, with the advent of digital cameras, backing up data is a delight -- and with the different lighting options, you can personalize your data with distinctive mood settings: romantic lighting for personal emails from your significant other; a sepia tone is great for older documents; and the "sport" setting, if you have a heavy space bar thumb, allows you to capture your computer documents more quickly.

A word of warning: Don't expect your family to be as excited about your computer documents as you are. I can't begin to tell you how often I have had to explain what they are looking when it is clear for all to see! It helps if you have a well-catered affair and lots of alcohol. I've been very busy at work this year... I can't wait for our next family reunion!

Everyone say "Excel spreadsheet!"

Reaction score
Backups shmackups!

do enough of them at work!

i prefer to live dangerously, much more fun!

mind you, must admit i've regretted not being a backup junky a few times in the past, but hey!

Reaction score
Backing up is one of the ings i really should do more often

But i lose the will to live before i start

Reaction score
I backup some of my data but Im going to buy a dedicated rig with hardware redundancy to consolidate the masses of data I have!

Just like Techy, I deal with backups during my working week (I currently implementing TSM - IBM Tivoli Storage Manager, so should know better!) :p

Reaction score
well, where is Yearly / less often choice? I am missing this one, cause it's good for me to have yearly backups . But I have found out that small important projects are best to be placed at various places like secondary web, gmail, ftp, backuping all stuff in one place may not be final solution :_) , what is flood or fire comes into your archive room ? Having it spread all across worlds may help then ....

Reaction score
Was recently looking to get an external hardrive and came upon a bunch that actaully come with archive software. So it seems that for the lazy you can purchase the drive, configure teh drive to save documents in the way you see fit, and voila, do nothing and feel safer.

As it turns out I will not be purchasing one of those drive, I have opted to get an inexpensive enclosure and a 320GB hardrive to go in it that I found for a lot cheaper.....besides I just need a place to store my DVD collection.

Reaction score
About once a month. I have a a domain setup on a Windows 2000 Server machine that I use for learning purposes and back up my regular XP Pro machine to that, along with my laptop. Really important stuff like photos and personal documents I also stick on CD's. (Must get round to buying a DVD writer)

Cheers,

Ian

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
I probably only back up my software updates about once a year, but my photo's.... those go onto disk at least once a month!

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
For once I can feel good about sanctimoneous! Backup every night to spare USB Drive which is stored off-site duing the day, then swapped for a different USB HDD on a 2 day cycle. Use Dantz Retrospect software with various file agents because it's cheap, quick, and does the job nicely.

System contains too much information to risk losing business and personnal data!

Reaction score
Sometimes things just don't break...

Ian Cunningham said:
If you own a PC, you should be doing this ;)
Vote: Never

Computers setup for frequent reinstallation of OS:

Three partition installation: OS/Swap/Data

If OS dies then reinstall and continue to use data.
If partition table is killed then try disk recovery.

Never seen partition table killed.

If HDD dies then use linux to disk to disk copy data or try norton ghost.

Typically cycle at about 80% life of HDD; don't store important data on old HDDs. Occasionally maintain redundant copies on other computers on Lan (very rare). Never had HDD die with important data.

EDIT: My apologies for digging up an old thread.

Bob Clown

Last edited:
Reaction score
Constantly to be honest. With the amount of IBM drives that have died on me in the past I make it an absolute must and tell everyone I know to do it aswell.
Even if they are doing something as simple as changing or adding extra hardware.

Reaction score
i always try to bakup my pc weekly on sunday after virsu/spware/adware scan and so.

Have some 100 gb to backup. :D therefore am usig a externel harddisk to do that.(for movies and such thing) and for the important ;) thing i also use dvd's

Reaction score
Back-up

I backed all drivers & software when pc was re-configured after a catastrophic hardware failure; I lost some software that took ages to source over the net. All data & documents are backed up weekly or daily if critical data I cant afford to use.

With CD-R or DVD-R being relevantly cheap it’s good to have a back up just in case.

Reaction score
quarter to never - but I agree - I certainly should.

Its okay though, every time I have had a hD crash, I was able to recover the data.

Reaction score
I use Acronis True Image to back up XP every couple of days & on my other partition (Music & stuff) I use a rewritable dvd about once a fortnight.

I can't see a use for system restore so this is turned off.

Ask a Question