How often do you run anti-spyware/virus scans?

How often do you run anti-spyware/virus scans?

• At least once a day

Votes: 214 37.9%
  • Around once a week

Votes: 197 34.9%
  • Each month

Votes: 33 5.8%
  • When I remember

Votes: 88 15.6%
  • Never

Votes: 33 5.8%

• Total voters

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I had an interesting idea for a poll from Billybobbbuddy, wondering how often users ran a scheduled anti-spyware or anti-virus scan on their PC. It's one thing having the correct protection installed, but it's no good if it's not used ;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
My anti-virus and anti-spyware run all the time my pc is running . Thats in Windows . I'm still learning about linux protection .

happywave.gif

Reaction score
I have two anti-virus, anti-spyware programs that are constantly scanning. Spysweeper and Fix-it Utilities 8 both do a fine job. They work independently but they are also compatible. Between the two of them, It seems like nothing escapes detection with my two programs. Each program prompts me to run a complete scan each week. If either application detects a spy cookie, each of my programs will recommended an immediate scan and will give me the option to let it pass or reject it.

Reaction score
Interesting question. I have a daily scheduled scan but after reading the question I had a look at the scan logs and the scan has not yet completed on any day (I've only had this version, AVG Free 8.0, for 5 days). One of the scans was running for almost 8 hours before stopping (probably when I switched off) and had scanned 1.6 million objects, Is this a normal amount for Windows XP?

Reaction score
I never run them unless i have a problem to be honest.

Tend to have the AV scan everything as things are pulled down from the interweb.

Reaction score
Agreed. I have most of the AVG monitors set up and after reading the logs I have dropped the scheduled scan. It also at least partially resolved a problem I had of windows running more slowly (I'm a bit thick for not seeing this before).

Reaction score
no to system scan

nah, i think doing a full system scan is not really necessary if u have your antivirus installed before exposing your computer to the internet or other potential viral sources. most avs have some sort of "resident shield" feature...if u dun disable that then it should do its job.

Reaction score
the best anti-virus/anti-spyware "mechanism" i know is you - you just have to know which sites to open and which software to install. the internet is, probably, where we get more than 90% of our viruses. tread carefully.

Reaction score
Fear driven agenda

Hi! New poster here.
I feel I echo the sentiments of most of the non-nerdish community when I say I experience an abiding uneasiness with the pervasive freedom of the digital stalkers.
Even something as nessesary as QickTime seems to have an agressive agenda. After downloading it ... on it's own suggestion, I found it wouldn't let me view my slide shows in the Windows system [QuickTime doesn't seem to want to display the titles overhead.] I deleated it and now things are fine.
I'm running Firefox on XP 2 and have just purchased PC tools Ultimate Registry Cleaner with the hopes of restoring the Windows folder on C drive but the hundred or so irregularities are still there.
There are several faded folders [and a file labeled xerox] which is being protected by outsiders from being deleated (I'm assuming).

I run PC Tools Desktop Mystro,[as I mentioned] Ultimate Registry Cleaner and Spybot .
I would have thought this would be enough protection.

I use them everyday with a few exceptions.
Am I safe do you think? What about XEROX?
~ P.S. DELL GX P4 ... and thank you.

Last edited:
Reaction score
dbringer said:
the best anti-virus/anti-spyware "mechanism" i know is you - you just have to know which sites to open and which software to install. the internet is, probably, where we get more than 90% of our viruses. tread carefully.

My ignorance is fodder for their activity. They make it seem like I'm foolish if I don't download this or that free program. 'Just gotta keep my finger off the clicker unless it's absolutly nessesary right?

Reaction score
Can Someone Help Me I Keep Getting Kernel32 Up On My Computor When I Down Load Anything Can U Tell Me How To Get Rid Of It Please

Ask a Question