How does "new program installed" start menu feature work?

G

After I create a new Program group, and a new shortcut in the program group, WinXP start menu shows the Program group in a yellowish highlight. I would expect that after I've launched the shortcut, it would no longer show highlighted. However, even after launching the app several times, and rebooting, it still shows up yellowish.

Is there something my app is doing to prevent windows from un-highlighting my shortcut?

Disabling the "highlight new programs" feature is not an option. I need to understand what triggers the WinXP start menu to remove the highlighting from new shortcut.

Thanx,
Aaron

J

Jon Cosby

After I create a new Program group, and a new shortcut in the program
group, WinXP start menu shows the Program group in a yellowish highlight. I
would expect that after I've launched the shortcut, it would no longer show
highlighted. However, even after launching the app several times, and
rebooting, it still shows up yellowish.
Is there something my app is doing to prevent windows from un-highlighting my shortcut?

Disabling the "highlight new programs" feature is not an option.

Did you try this from the Start menu and task bar options?

Jon Cosby

N

NoNoBadDog!

Actually, in this case we should refer to the issue as a feature...that way
we don't have to expend any time, effort or resources to "fix" a "bug",
since it is now a "feature".

Bobby

G

Jon,
Unfortunately, using options to "disable" the "Highlight newly installed programs" feature is not an acceptable solution.

This application is being shipped commercially, and modifying users configurations in the manner will not work me.

Other applications seem to work fine, however, I just have one app that misbehaves, and I can't figure out what the difference is between it and other apps on the start menu.

Thanx,
- aaron

G

Kelly,
"This is a bug" doesn't really help much. I'm looking for detailed information on what triggers the start menu to remove the highlighting from new Program menus.

For instance, does the app need have an entry in "HKLM/Software/Microsoft/CurrentVersion/App Paths"?

Is there a particular API call that is triggering the usage count, like CreateWindow() or RegXXX() calls?

Is there possibly an undocumented area of the registry or Kernel32 export that would be useful?

Thank you for continued help,
Aaron

K

Kelly

For most users, it does. If you want to troubleshoot it, learn how to
troubleshoot (Starting with Regmon, TechNet and MSDN). If you want to
script the change, script it. If you want to re-program Windows, call Bill.

Ask a Question