how does 'back up' work on xp?

Andy

I am trying to do a back up onto a blank dvd, however it wont let me back up
to cd drive 'e' for some reason. I have tried to send the back up to
desktop and then sending to the dvd drive but message comes up saying
windows encountered a problem when trying to copy this file.

Can someone help , thankyou.

Wesley Vogel

ntbackup.exe does not allow backing up directly to CD or DVD.

Backup to the hard drive first.

From NTBACKUP README.TXT

[[NTBackup Backup/Restore and ASR release notes
2. Backup to CDRW

If you decide to backup to a CDRW, you cannot target that device directly.
You must create a backup set of 650MB or less and backup to a file. After
the file is complete, copy the file to the CDRW.]]

Windows Backup Does Not Back Up to CD-R, CD-RW, or DVD-R Devices
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315255

How do I backup my files and folders in XP?
http://www.winxptutor.com/ntbackup.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In

philo

Andy said:
I am trying to do a back up onto a blank dvd, however it wont let me back up
to cd drive 'e' for some reason. I have tried to send the back up to
desktop and then sending to the dvd drive but message comes up saying
windows encountered a problem when trying to copy this file.

Can someone help , thankyou.

Just burn what ever data you wish to save directly to DVD...
Windows backup is not designed for that

patch

Andy said:
Im looking to save my pc settings, favourites etc, how do i do that?
You mean you wish to have a back-up of your current configuration:
OS/servicepacks/Updates/Drivers/software/ etc etc?
If so, you require specific software, I don't know of any viable freeware
but I use Norton Ghost.

Patrick Keenan

Andy said:
Im looking to save my pc settings, favourites etc, how do i do that?

As noted, XP backup can't natively do this to DVD. You need another
program, and there are many.

Backup Plus is one, and it creates "bac" files that are actually ZIP files.
This is an advantage in that the Zip format is well understood and there are
lots of recovery utilities.

However, backing up user files is often complicated by the fact that MS made
a number of user-data locations hidden by default, so you have to
deliberately make changes to Explorer to be able to find them. Outlook,
Outlook Express, Address Book files and probably Favourites are all prime
examples of these hidden files. In Explorer, under Tools, Folder Options,
View, set "show hidden files and folders" and de-select "hide protected
operating system files".

Then there is another class of backup program, called "imaging" apps, that
can make copies of the entire disk. These copies can be restored to a new
disk, so that it is bootable in minutes. Regular backup programs cannot do
this. Acronis True Image and Norton Ghost are examples of these apps.

BTW, if what you were backing up to the Desktop included the Desktop folder,
I would not be surprised that you got an error message. You'd be telling
the app to back up the file you're trying to write.

HTH
-pk

Rock

Im looking to save my pc settings, favourites etc, how do i do that?

"philo" wrote

I recommend using a drive imaging application such as Acronis True Image.
This makes an exact image of the partition which can be saved on CD/DVD or
to another drive - internal or external. Imaging to an external USB 2.0 /
Firewire drive works well. Then occasionally burning an image to DVD gives
you redundancy. Restores can be done of the entire partition or individual
files / folders. This works well and make it easy to recover from a drive
crash.

supizh2

Exciting discussion... And now some words about subject.
Im looking to save my pc settings, favourites etc, how do i do that?

You have a choice here. First af all you can use Windows backup tool,
but it can't backup your files/settings/system configuration directly
to CD/DVD. Of course, you can backup your data to HDD and then write it
down to DVD you have.
Second way is using some third-party software. There are a wide variety
to choose from. From freeware to extremely expensive and
multifunctional. Acronis True Image and Norton Ghost are most popular,
but I prefer Paragon Drive Backup because I have some troubles with
True Image. Can't say anything about using of Norton Ghost, has no
experience with it.
Here
http://www.drive-backup.com/
you can find some information and trial versions of their products.

Quamak the teapot-judger

(e-mail address removed) wrote in message
Exciting discussion... And now some words about subject.

You have a choice here. First af all you can use Windows backup tool,
but it can't backup your files/settings/system configuration directly
to CD/DVD. Of course, you can backup your data to HDD and then write
it down to DVD you have.
Second way is using some third-party software. There are a wide
variety to choose from. From freeware to extremely expensive and
multifunctional. Acronis True Image and Norton Ghost are most popular,
but I prefer Paragon Drive Backup because I have some troubles with
True Image. Can't say anything about using of Norton Ghost, has no
experience with it.
Here
http://www.drive-backup.com/
you can find some information and trial versions of their products.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA! LMFARO @ you, you ****ing dumb ****.

Files and Settings Transfer Wizard.

mariposas rand mair fheal greykitten tomys des ang

Dagik the parrot-taxgatherer said:
(e-mail address removed) wrote in message

"Im looking to save my pc settings, favourites etc"

You can **** right off and die now, you less than useless ****flap.

why not archive your user library folder?

meow arf meow - they are performing horrible experiments in space
major grubert is watching you - beware the bakalite
impeach the bastard - the airtight garage has you neo

mariposas rand mair fheal greykitten tomys des ang

Nurk the freakface-balder said:
mariposas rand mair fheal greykitten tomys des anges

Because the OP can't archive his "user library folder" on the grounds that
he's using Windows XP, not ****ing Mac OS X.

and the lesson is?

meow arf meow - they are performing horrible experiments in space
major grubert is watching you - beware the bakalite
impeach the bastard - the airtight garage has you neo

mariposas rand mair fheal greykitten tomys des ang

and the lesson is?
Are you a missionary or something?

do you know youre crossposting?
do you think the entire world gives a crap
about what microsoft inflicts on paying customers?

do you know what is born every minute?

meow arf meow - they are performing horrible experiments in space
major grubert is watching you - beware the bakalite
impeach the bastard - the airtight garage has you neo

Nogdush the pimple-jagger

mariposas rand mair fheal greykitten tomys des anges
do you know youre crossposting?
do you think the entire world gives a crap
about what microsoft inflicts on paying customers?

do you know what is born every minute?

A trollee.