How do you get rid of annoying prompts from the Firewall?

Adam Albright

I am so sick to death of this PERMISSIONS thing. I can't even MOVE a folder
from one place to the other on my computer. I can't do anything on my own
computer where only I have access.

You can turn it off. Thank God! Vista gets muzzled and can't nag.
about permission if you do the following:

Here's how in very detailed steps, because I feel your pain.

1. Click on Start.

2. Pick Control Panel.

3. Pick User Accounts.

4. Right to the left of the little people icon click on the words
"User Accounts", not what's below it.

5. You'll see a new window, at the bottom click on "Turn User Account
Control on or off".

6. If it is on then there should be a check in front of
"Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer"
To turn off uncheck. To turn on check.

7. Now don't forget to press ok, then right away reboot and you'll be
free!

What forum? This is a USENET NEWSGROUP.<<

Whatever..........they are basically the same thing -- a place where you
come to get help from other USERS! Forum, Newsgroup! All the same. Just
depends on what you want to call it.

Alias

Dale said:
Just because you can turn it of does not mean you should. How often do
you really do admin functions on your PC? UAC prevents malware from
accessing admin functions. It makes your administrative login function
as a non-admin user until you click on UAC. That click is not a lot to
ask for in comparison to the increased security it gives.

Dale

Yes mommy. UAC will be the first thing MS alters in SP1, mark my words.

Alias

Alias

pjkinann said:
Whatever..........they are basically the same thing -- a place where you
come to get help from other USERS! Forum, Newsgroup! All the same. Just
depends on what you want to call it.

Remember "message boards"?

Alias

"Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer"
To turn off uncheck. To turn on check.

I think that's why I was having such a problem..........believe it or not, I
had UNchecked mine previously and was still having to go through the
"permissions" feeling of intense fear, horror, and distress (nightmare) ;o;
however, believe it or not, I actually rechecked it even though it says " ...
to help protect your computer," and figured might as well try this!

I was able to finally move the folder and rename it without me needing
permission!

I have no idea why it works the opposite, but again, computers are full of
glitches, so are new OSs (Vista).

Being it works, I'm going to leave it just as it is! :blush:)

Thanks again for your help!
This is definitely a "discussion group/usergroup/newsgroup/usenet
newsgroup/message board," where eventually we get the right answer, even if
it did take the long way.l

Dale

Have you seen the Apple commercial about UAC? It's way over the top in how
inaccurately it displays UAC. It implies UAC is used in tasks that it
clearly is not used.

My grandkids use my Vista PC and have never once come to me to resolve a
question about UAC popping up. It only comes up when I do something
administratively. UAC is one of the best things Microsoft has done in a
very long time.

Dale

Bill Marriott

Your grandkids are hardly the typical user. They must be playing games
someone already has installed for them. I would really hope in that
situation they'd never see UAC.

The Apple ad wouldn't be funny if it weren't so damned true. UAC in Vista is
thoughtlessly implemented.

On the topic of your grandkids, if the UAC box ever DID pop up for them, are
they *really* in the best position to decide whether to cancel or allow? No,
they're not. This is why Apple's OS X implementation is superior. Not only
does their version of UAC pop up only when truly needed (and does it in a
far less jarring/disruptive way), but it requires an administrative user to
type their password to continue. This authentication step ensures only users
who know what they're doing are authorizing potentially dangerous
operations.

As anyone who's been around knows, the biggest security hole is the clueless
end user, and most viruses make their way into computers through social
engineering. UAC under Vista only gives the "appearance" of security. Your
post only proves this point.

Alias

Dale said:
Have you seen the Apple commercial about UAC?

No, sorry. I don't spend much time watching TV.

It's way over the top in
how inaccurately it displays UAC. It implies UAC is used in tasks that
it clearly is not used.

My grandkids use my Vista PC and have never once come to me to resolve a
question about UAC popping up. It only comes up when I do something
administratively. UAC is one of the best things Microsoft has done in a
very long time.

Dale

Mark my words, it will be the first thing MS alters with SP1, if not sooner.

Alias

Dale

Bill Marriott said:
Your grandkids are hardly the typical user. They must be playing games
someone already has installed for them. I would really hope in that
situation they'd never see UAC.

The Apple ad wouldn't be funny if it weren't so damned true. UAC in Vista
is thoughtlessly implemented.

On the topic of your grandkids, if the UAC box ever DID pop up for them,
are they *really* in the best position to decide whether to cancel or
allow? No, they're not. This is why Apple's OS X implementation is
superior. Not only does their version of UAC pop up only when truly needed
(and does it in a far less jarring/disruptive way), but it requires an
administrative user to type their password to continue. This
authentication step ensures only users who know what they're doing are
authorizing potentially dangerous operations.

Vista's UAC requires an administrative user to type in a password as well.
If you're logged in as an administrative user, you already typed the
password and Vista remembers that you did. My grandkids are not
administrators and, if they ever did get a UAC prompt, they'd have to come
and get me or Grandma to type in a password - and Grandma knows to call me
before typing in her password.
As anyone who's been around knows, the biggest security hole is the
clueless end user, and most viruses make their way into computers through
social engineering. UAC under Vista only gives the "appearance" of
security. Your post only proves this point.

Just the opposite. I am not clueless. My wife only knows enough about the
PC that the one clue she has is to ask me. The kids may be clueless but UAC
prevents them from doing anything that will harm the system as a whole or
other users.

Theofanis Lantzakis

I had a similar problem and this is what I did:

1. I turned off 'Windows Defender'
2. I did what I needed to do - In my case, I installed a language learning programme (Byki4 to learn Indonesian)
3. I turned 'Windows Defender' on again. It was a pain in the arse because I had to reboot each frigging time.
4. This had nothing to do with User Account Control.
5. BUT I did have to give permission to continue at every #&$*$!!# dialog box. But I did what I wanted and now I still have the choice of turning User Account Security on or off.

Good luck.

P.S. I hope that I have been of help. I did try... unlike some!!!!

P.P.S.Don't be angry at the jerks who have a go at you in these forums. They are really sad, SAD people with no friends and have nothing to do but act like a junk-yard rats as they wait to die. What a sad situation to be in. Feel sorry for them. Have a lovely day.

Theo

webster72n

If the settings are as suggested or recommended, I don't see any problems
with the few times the system asks for permission to open something, which
is for the users own protection from outside interference.
A reason for condemning Vista has to carry a lot more weight than what you
are presenting, don't you think?

Harry.