How do we get Windows98 SE to work with Flash Drives larger than 1

CurlySue

In short, I cannot get Windows 98SE to work with any Flash Drive larger than
1GB. It will work with 1GB drives, but I prefer to use 4GB (and perhaps
larger drives).

First, I want to state that I understand that this is not a Windows 98
forum, but its forum . . . microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion . . .
http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...spx?guid=2795731e-e69c-426a-aac8-5493495967b2
.. . . is EMPTY, and all of the Win98 Links, except Shell, associated with
Newsgroups deleted June 1, 2010 redirect to . . .
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/group/WindowsAnswers . . .
Windows Forums, where Windows 7, Vista and XP are shown.

So, since my primary PC is XP, I thought that I would try here and see where
it gets me.

Prior to posting here, I Googled and reviewed, tried and failed, for hours -
over 15 hours, to be exact.

The first thing I did was a thorough system scrubbing of the Registry and
Programs, eliminating temp files, and other crap.

Because I hadn't updated for the last 3 years, I found Windows98 SE Service
Pack 2.1 and installed it. Then I scrubbed the Registry (which, to my
surprise, remained perfectly clean) and my system.

Next, I researched, downloaded and installed various drivers - first using
the specific manufacturer's Windows 98SE drivers, and when they did not work,
I tried a couple of generic drivers. Both failed - again, Windows98 SE would
nothing work with any Flash Drive larger than 1GB.

With all of my Googling, one of the issues I had hoped to find was something
that simply stated that Window98 SE was incapable of reading any Flash Drive
larger than 1GB. But I did not, and I am having this problem with a desktop
PC - whereas my notebook PC, also running Windows98 SE, will read Flash
Drives larger than 1GB, and that is why I want to believe that I have either
forgot a setting or simply do not remember how I achieved this with my
notebook (something I did over 3 years ago).

Any suggestions, recommendations or guidance is sincerely appreciated.

With kindest regards,

CurlySue

glee

Your post headers show that you are using the aioe news server, which
still carries the microsoft.public.win98. gen_discussion newsgroup, and
it is certainly not empty. Try again.....

PA Bear [MS MVP]

CurlySue wrote:
Because I hadn't updated for the last 3 years, I found Windows98 SE
Service
Pack 2.1 and installed it.

Link, please?
...Then I scrubbed the Registry (which, to my
surprise, remained perfectly clean) and my system.

If you ever think your Registry needs to be cleaned, repaired, boosted,
tuned-up, cured, tweaked, fixed, or optimized (it doesn't), read
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw your own conclusions. Also
see
http://blogs.technet.com/markrussin.../02/registry-junk-a-windows-fact-of-life.aspx

CurlySue

Thanks, meerkat.

Shortly after posting, I managed to resolve my problem with an updated
USBSTOR.SYS driver in C:\WINDOWS\INF.

Thanks again!

CurlySue

CurlySue

Thanks for your reply, glee! :blush:)

I have no idea what the aioe news server is, but do know that I am on the
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups via the Internet; and I also
know what I saw before my initial post as well as confirmed prior to this
post and validated by the TinyPic links below . . .

http://i35.tinypic.com/20suczs.png
http://i38.tinypic.com/xnzvgp.png

.. . . so trying again would simply be a waste of my time - there is NOTHING,
as in NADDA, ZIPPO, or ZILTCH there.

CurlySue

CurlySue

Bonjour PA Bear, and merci for your reply.
Link, please?

UNOFFICIAL Windows98 SE Service Pack 2.1a Download

Auto-Patcher For Windows 98se (English) - MSFN Forums
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/80800-auto-patcher-for-windows-98se-english/
If you ever think your Registry needs to be cleaned, repaired, boosted,
tuned-up, cured, tweaked, fixed, or optimized (it doesn't), read
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw your own conclusions.
Also see
http://blogs.technet.com/markrussin.../02/registry-junk-a-windows-fact-of-life.aspx

While I respect your expertise, as a cautious user, and PC performance
enthusiast, I have successfully used several Registry Cleaning programs since
1991 and have NEVER experienced any problem that your response or its link(s)
imply. I suppose learning to read what they may be deleting prior to
authorizing deletions is one KEY, and then NOT permitting some of the default
deletions.

And then there's always the experience where something has not worked, and
so I have utilized the current backup and then everything returned to normal
- and I read the entries and determined what to add to IGNORE lists, etc.

In short, I do not believe what you say and do believe my Registry performs
better without SHIT IN IT that I no longer use or was part of the promotion
B.S. that came with the PC (as in AOL, EarthLink, Norton, and other crap).

Thanks again, Robert.

CS