How do I toggle between "insert" and "replace."



In previous versions of Windows, the zero-key on the numeric key pad would
toggle between "Insert" and "Replace" when the NumLock key was off. With
Windows XP/ Word 2007, the key no longer toggles; it is always in the
"insert" mode.

Is there some setting that I should be aware of that would make the
Insert/Replace key functional?

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Office Button | Word Options | Advanced: Editing options. Check the box for
"Use the Insert key to control overtype mode."

Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA

Graham Mayor

Right click the status bar and add the overtype button
Word Options > Advanced > Editing Options > Check 'Use the Insert key to
control overtype mode'
(The former will prevent accidental selection)

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question