How do I switch between connections?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I'm not quite certain if I'm putting this in the correct category, but here goes :)

Yesterday, I had a "hiccup" with our internet connection. ADSL just wasn't "working" and slowed-down to sub-dial-up speeds, so that pages wouldn't load correctly or else took up to 10 minutes if they did. Mail was downloading for 2 hours... etc.

That is when I decided that I ought to use the dial-up number my adsl ISP provides for such occasions........ but it is also when I realised that I didn't have a clue about what to actually DO!

I know how to set up the dial-up number, but, when connected via a router, what is the exact procedure to follow? For example, will the dial-up connect via the router? Or should I have dug out my old external modem and re-connected that?

Also, should I have hit the "disconnect" button on the router first, then connected the dial-up number? I know it sounds daft, but I was baffled (also in a fizz because I couldn't get anywhere, including PCR to be able to ask :rolleyes: )

By the way, the "problem" turned-out to be nothing more than the router needing a re-boot....:blush: I know, I'm a dummy, but with it being one of those set-and-forget things, I'd done just that and pretty much forgotten about it. But I'd still really appreciate it if one of you could clarify the switching-from-adsl-to-dial-up procedure please?

Thank you for reading :D

Reaction score
An interesting question! I could be wrong but I think that an ADSL modem is not set up to dial a telephone number and you will need to reconnect your modem, whether internal or external, to the telephone line. There is in fact no reason why you should not have your telephone modem set up at all times - just make sure that none of your internet using programs have it as default connection or you will have a large telephone bill.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hi Jim, I did wonder whether it would be okay to have the two connected simultaneously. So, I just turn off the router, and connect the modem... I want to get it straight in my wee brain-cell before the next calamity :lol:

Reaction score
I'm not in a position to test this because currently my telephone line is nowhere near the computer (I'm ethernet cabled but not telephone cabled!) so I am digging into my memory banks.
I know this is not the same as your system but many years ago I was connected via NTL cable for my personal internet connection and at the same time I was running a small website and mail server from a different ISP that I connected to via a telephone modem which used the same cable. (I had no BT line) The mail server was set up for hourly automatic dialling via the telephone line and the computer quite happily accepted being connected to both at the same time (Windows 98 was the OS) and I can see no reason why this shouldn't work with more recent versions of Windows. However, I'm not sure that a cable modem works in the same way as ADSL ( I don't recall having any filters on the telephone line) so there could be a problem there.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Taffycat said:
Hi Jim, I did wonder whether it would be okay to have the two connected simultaneously. So, I just turn off the router, and connect the modem... I want to get it straight in my wee brain-cell before the next calamity
laughingsmiley.gif
You shouldn't even need to turn off the ADSL router, and yes, you can have both installed at the same time ... though, you may need to ask your ISP if they can use/accept dial-up. ;)

You will not be able to use your phone as normal when using the dial-up modem. :D

You will not be able to use both at the same time, eg; ... browse the Internet then "dial-up" your Internet bank ... well, not without some dame good IP shenagians. :p

:user:

Reaction score
Sorry, I should have emphasized that I was using two different ISP's when I had both connections running simultaneously.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
You shouldn't even need to turn off the ADSL router, and yes, you can have both installed at the same time ... though, you may need to ask your ISP if they can use/accept dial-up. ;)

You will not be able to use your phone as normal when using the dial-up modem. :D

You will not be able to use both at the same time, eg; ... browse the Internet then "dial-up" your Internet bank ... well, not without some dame good IP shenagians. :p

:user:

Ah that has straightened me out, thank you.

Actually, it was the adsl provider who offered the dial-up, so they are definitely okay with it :D I was just having one of my fluffy-brained moments and just couldn't decide whether I'd be causing discomnokkeration if I didn't stop the router first.

Thank you both for your replies gentlemen, I'm a happy bunny again now :D

Ask a Question