How do I remove my DVD Drive from my Laptop

Reaction score
I've got one of those lousy Matsh1ta's on my Acer Aspire 1690, and unlike most laptops, it doesn't have the DVD Drive release slide underneath the laptop.

I've got a mate who doesn't mind selling his old Toshiba to me, so, as an avid dvd collector, I'd quite like to replace my original.

I've checked the manual for help, and it lists the button for the battery release, yet not for the DVD drive.

I'd appreciate some help if anyone knows what to do/has had the same problem.

Thanks in advance,

CWK

Last edited:
Reaction score
No idea mate, Have you checked below the actual drive itself for a small panel that may removed and maybe reveal another screw to remove the drive?

Reaction score
There is no small panel underneath, nor do removing the screws near the drive itself help.

There is a bit on the casing which looks like it's where the release side SHOULD go, but there's no actual button there. Just a smooth bit of plastic
_____
(_____ )

Kinda looks like that. There's two lock symbols on either side, but with no switch, I'm guessing Acer wanted us to keep this Matpieceofshi ta drive.

Any other suggestions guys?

Reaction score
Downloaded it already, checked it, and as you can see, there's no slide switch for the dvd drive :(

I'm starting to tear my hair out over this problem...

Reaction score
Do Acer have their own forum that you could look at?
Have you thought of emailing Acer directly??

Reaction score
Ah you know what? Don't worry, I just figured out the solution by myself.

For future reference, if you want to remove the dvd drive from an Acer Aspire 1690, unscrew the three screws on the hinges of the screen.

This allows you to carefull lift up the plastic covering the power switch.

Then there's 2 screws holding the keyboard in, after taking them out, carefully lift the keyboard (since there's a VERY thin cable leading to the motherboard).

Underneath that is a circular hole with a small black screw holding the dvd drive in. All you need to do is to take that screw out and replace the board, and then remove the drive.

Hope this helps anyone who has the same problem and wants to get rid of those lousy Mat(pieceof)Sh1te DVD drives.

Reaction score
Oh, and again, be very careful with the clips at the back of the hinges, and the ribbon cable connecting the keyboard. It's rather delicate, and tbh, if you're not comfortable doing it, then get someone who knows what they're doing to do it.

It was a rather delicate moment for me I must admit.

Ask a Question