How do I pull data off the hard drive I pulled from a dead Toshiba laptop?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
If it's just a one-off need, then, open the side of your case and use an existing SATA cable that came with the motherboard and power it up. It should be seen as a 'slave' drive.

If you don't feel confident doing that, see Bob's post. :)

I also use a 'cady' as suggested by Bob. :thumb:

:user:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I also use a dock for reading hard drives, they don't cost an awful lot and imo is a good investment for future occasions when you need to read a hard disk without going through all the kerfuffle of opening up your machine and connecting data and power leads.

And if all you use is a laptop/netbook then I'd say a dock is almost an essential.

Reaction score
Weirdly, I have a similar problem.

I've got 3 WD external passport drives which had a LOT of backed up data on them. They are all dead! 2 don't seem to power up at all and 1 gets power and you get the noise in windows of something being plugged in, but as you hear it spin you hear a click and it stops, then tries again, etc. etc.

My plan was to just crack them open and pull the HD's out. Would a dock be the best option or would I be able to connect whatever is inside to my computer via SATA do you reckon?

Reaction score
So I’ve pulled the plastic casing off two WD external HDs and I’m a bit confused. Everyone says all 2.5 drives are the same, connect them to the desktop machine with a SATA cable, but one of these has a 6 pin connector and one has a 12 pin connector and I can’t see that there’s any power connector at all as it looks like these are USB powered. This is the issue though, they are not being powered by USB anymore.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• F1177942-3887-46C5-9C6F-F70825CFBE12.jpeg
    F1177942-3887-46C5-9C6F-F70825CFBE12.jpeg
    220.2 KB · Views: 125

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
So I’ve pulled the plastic casing off two WD external HDs and I’m a bit confused. Everyone says all 2.5 drives are the same, connect them to the desktop machine with a SATA cable, but one of these has a 6 pin connector and one has a 12 pin connector and I can’t see that there’s any power connector at all as it looks like these are USB powered. This is the issue though, they are not being powered by USB anymore.

Thoughts?
xggUa4H.jpg

Will that small board with the usb socket come of the drive ?
breakfast.gif

Reaction score
I had an HP laptop that had a proprietary adapter on the hard drive. When I took off the adapter, it revealed an standard IDE connection on the drive.

What is the model of the hard drive?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
No. That's the first thing I looked at. Is it some sort of proprietary thing? Any thoughts on how to get the data off it?

If you post some more pictures of the drive from different angles we may be able to see a way to help. Post a picture of the writing on the front of the drive if you can.
:cool:

Reaction score
Here you go. There’s 3 of them (thanks WD!!).

I honestly can’t see a way to take the connectors off to expose a standard SATA connector.

Attachments

• 579481C7-D3EB-4B59-93FA-87592E7E5A33.jpeg
    579481C7-D3EB-4B59-93FA-87592E7E5A33.jpeg
    287.1 KB · Views: 120

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Does a USB extension lead (plug to socket) fit over the existing USB type connection?

Hard to tell as cannot see that plug head on.

Reaction score
Does a USB extension lead (plug to socket) fit over the existing USB type connection?

Hard to tell as cannot see that plug head on.

Like a USB type A extension? It wouldn’t fit, no. It’s one of those micro USB connections.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score

I honestly can’t see a way to take the connectors off to expose a standard SATA connector.

Well them pics were as much use as a ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

You could take of the top plate and have a look inside the case. That is all I can suggest I am afraid to say.

breakfast.gif

Reaction score

Can you send a photo how they look from the bottom-side?

Reaction score
Can you send a photo how they look from the bottom-side?

Here's some better views. The USB only interface seems to be the issue!

Attachments

• IMG_1191.JPG
    IMG_1191.JPG
    240.6 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1192.JPG
    IMG_1192.JPG
    198.3 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_1193.JPG
    IMG_1193.JPG
    192.7 KB · Views: 143
Reaction score
Ok, on the "Big Black" the printed text says "USB", but on the others (photos from Dec, 21), the text printed on the label says "Serial ATA Hard Drive". These other HDs have also only one PCB with the USB-Plug directly connected? I.e. not via an additional piggyback PCB?
Maybe you have to replace the PCB? http://www.donordrives.com/pcb-replacement-guide

Last edited:

Ask a Question