How do I get a background color only around the letters?

Catapult

I am trying to insert text over a photo inserted into Word. I have copies of
old documents that have black text/lines with a white background (ONLY around
each letter/line). Any suggestions?

DeanH

Have you tried the Callouts from the Autoshapes listing on the drawing menu.
This is for 2003 and prior, may differ for 2007.
Hope this helps
DeanH

Catapult

Well, I was able to get a hold of the Word document where the original photo
was- that I was trying to duplicate with an updated photo. It appears this
was done with a different program and pasted into Word. I am not able to grab
or modify the text/arrows, they are part of the photo. Of course, the person
that used to do this work is no longer here...

JoAnn Paules said:
Sounds like you need an outline font. Or you can try WordArt.

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

Catapult said:
I am trying to insert text over a photo inserted into Word. I have copies
of
old documents that have black text/lines with a white background (ONLY
around
each letter/line). Any suggestions?

JoAnn Paules

Murphy's Law strikes again.

If you still have the original photo, start over again. (I know, I hate
those words too, but sometimes you have to.)

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~

Catapult said:
I am trying to insert text over a photo inserted into Word. I have
copies
of
old documents that have black text/lines with a white background (ONLY
around
each letter/line). Any suggestions?

Catapult

I am sorry I was not very clear. I cannot use the original photo. This is for
a Standard Operating Procedure that has changed, so I had to take a new photo
and update the text/lines. However after going through any possible
font/effect/WordArt, I went back to the original file and found out that the
text/lines were actually part of the photo. So it turns out she did not use
Word to add the text/lines- so she inserted this file into the Word file from
whatever she used. I will have to see if I can find out what she used.

The options available through Word do not give me the options I need to have
the text be legible and still be able to see the set-up in the photo. The SOP
for training is printed in black and white. If I use any color text- no
matter I what I do to it in Word it does not appear very clear.

Thanks for trying to help though.

JoAnn Paules said:
Sounds like you need an outline font. Or you can try WordArt.

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

I am trying to insert text over a photo inserted into Word. I have
copies
of
old documents that have black text/lines with a white background (ONLY
around
each letter/line). Any suggestions?

Jay Freedman

Open the photo in Windows Paint and add the labeling, or use a more capable
graphic editor such as Paint.Net (www.getpaint.net) or GIMP
(http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/stable.html), both of which are free.

Jay Freedman
Microsoft Word MVP
all may benefit.

:

Sounds like you need an outline font. Or you can try WordArt.

--
JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

I am trying to insert text over a photo inserted into Word. I have
copies
of
old documents that have black text/lines with a white background
(ONLY around
each letter/line). Any suggestions?

Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Catapult,

Can you set up a link to a copy of that document or the graphic in it? There may be more than one way to address the updating.

If the person is no longer there is their computer and the programs/documents created still accessible from it?

==========
Well, I was able to get a hold of the Word document where the original photo
was- that I was trying to duplicate with an updated photo. It appears this
was done with a different program and pasted into Word. I am not able to grab
or modify the text/arrows, they are part of the photo. Of course, the person
that used to do this work is no longer here...>>
--

Bob Buckland ?:)
MS Office System Products MVP

Catapult

I would have no clue on how to set up a link, though I could e-mail it to you.

Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Catapault,

Jay has mentioned one method for resolving the issue. If you're replacing existing text you may need to 'clone' a portion of the
drawing over the old text first, depends on the sizing.

Yes, if you wouldn't mind emailing me the graphic and or the document would be interesting to see what was done previously. The
email address in in the line below, without the (At Beautiful...) part

<<"Bob Buckland ?:)" <75214.226(At Beautiful Downtown)compuserve.com> wrote in message
news:%[email protected]...

Henk57

In addition to what Jay suggests, you may like SangIt
(www.techsmith.com). It's essentially a screen grabber, but has a
built-in editor for many photo effects and text labels as you describe.
It's agreat value for money tool (~40 USD), and can be trialed for 30
days.