How do I create a message board using Frontpage

I have a web site and I would like to create a message board page so that
members of my organization can post feedback. How do I go about creating a
Message Board using Microsoft Frontpage?

Jens Peter Karlsen[FP MVP]

File | New | More Web Site Templates | Discussion Web Wizard.

Regards Jens Peter Karlsen. Microsoft MVP - Frontpage.

I use Jumpline as my web server. I posted the discussion site up and could
not get the information to save. Jumpline does have FrontPage 2002
extentions. I am not sure if I have set it up properly. I even put a web
counter on and it doesn't work properly. CAn you help?

Jens Peter Karlsen said:
File | New | More Web Site Templates | Discussion Web Wizard.

Regards Jens Peter Karlsen. Microsoft MVP - Frontpage.
Posted To: microsoft.public.frontpage.client
Conversation: How do I create a message board using Frontpage
Subject: How do I create a message board using Frontpage

I have a web site and I would like to create a message board
page so that members of my organization can post feedback.
How do I go about creating a Message Board using Microsoft Frontpage?

Thomas A. Rowe

How did/are you uploading the content to the remote server?

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

From: Christine [mailto:[email protected]]
Posted At: 5. november 2004 20:05
Posted To: microsoft.public.frontpage.client
Conversation: How do I create a message board using Frontpage

I have a web site and I would like to create a message board
page so that members of my organization can post feedback.
How do I go about creating a Message Board using Microsoft Frontpage?

Thomas A. Rowe

You must publish the site to a web server that has the FP extensions using FP's File Menu | Publish
Site via http mode. If the live/remote server doesn't have the FP extensions, then you will not be
able to any FP feature that requires the FP run-time extensions.

If you feel your current issue is a results of installing
a Service Pack or security update, please contact
Microsoft Product Support Services:
http://support.microsoft.com
If the problem can be shown to have been caused by a
security update, then there is usually no charge for the call.

:

File | New | More Web Site Templates | Discussion Web Wizard.

Regards Jens Peter Karlsen. Microsoft MVP - Frontpage.

Posted To: microsoft.public.frontpage.client
Conversation: How do I create a message board using Frontpage

I have a web site and I would like to create a message board
page so that members of my organization can post feedback.
How do I go about creating a Message Board using Microsoft Frontpage?

For the moment I still use a 3rd part app for the forum. I have tried to
load the site with the FP built in loader, then deleted all and tried cute
ftp pro. Both have loaded successfully. The forum still did not work though
even after using Cute FTP Pro.

Thank you for responding and so quickly too. :)
Dan

Thomas A. Rowe said:
[...]

In order to use the FP Discussion web, Guest Book, Feedback or standard forms, you must publish the
site to a server that has the FP extension via FP's http mode (file menu | publish site), you can
not use FTP to publish or upload content to a server that has the FP extensions, as you will most
likely corrupt the FP extensions and the web host will have to re-install them.

Again: If you use FTP, then FP components that require the FP extensions WILL NOT WORK on the
live/remote server.

http://tommis.home.mchsi.com

Dan said:
[...]

Deleted ALL. Created brand new web discussion with the
new/web_template/web_discussion option. I am thinking that my ISP supplying
the space has a problem. Part of my address to upload finishes with a ~ Is
that a problem?

Dan said:
[...]

I deleted the whole site and just created a quick web discussion with FP 2003
and uploaded. This way there isn't any other pages to contend with.

Not sure what to try next.

Dan

Thomas A. Rowe said:
[...]

This may be a silly question but... does it matter that my http: upload
address for my site ends with ~ ?

Thomas A. Rowe said:
[...]

The server doesn't appear to have the FP extensions installed.

Dan said:
http://tommis.home.mchsi.com

From: Christine [mailto:[email protected]]
Posted At: 5. november 2004 20:05
Posted To: microsoft.public.frontpage.client
Conversation: How do I create a message board using Frontpage

I have a web site and I would like to create a message board
page so that members of my organization can post feedback.
How do I go about creating a Message Board using Microsoft Frontpage?

My Control Panel Screen:

I would like to use the
Guest Book feature (100 KB): YesNo (unsubscribed)
I would like to use the
Calendar feature (100 KB): YesNo (unsubscribed)
I would like to use the
Address List feature (50 KB): YesNo (unsubscribed)
I would like to use the
Newsletter feature (300 KB): YesNo (unsubscribed)
I would like to use the
Mailform feature (200 KB): YesNo (unsubscribed)
I would like to use the
Polling Booth feature (250 KB): YesNo (unsubscribed)
I would like to use the
Web Site Builder feature (300 KB): YesNo (unsubscribed)
I would like to use the
FrontPage Extensions feature (500 KB): YesNo (subscribed)

Dan said:
http://tommis.home.mchsi.com

:

[...]

Tom Pepper Willett

If they are not installed, The host must install the extensions. You can't
use any of the components, such as the "message board" that require
extensions without them being installed. You must http publish, not ftp, to
a site with the extensions installed to make the components work properly.
--
===
Tom "Pepper" Willett
|I checked my control panel, my isp rep said the problem was:
| "The error message that you are receiving means that the personal web page
| upload utility and the Front Page editor that you are using are not
| interfacing correctly. The error may be resolved if you update the
version
| of Front Page that you are using, or try uploading your site using a
regular
| ftp tool instead of the build in front page upload utility."
| Unfortunately they did not solve my problem. How can I verify that the FP
| extensions are installed on the server/site?
|
| Thanks again,
| Dan
|
| "Thomas A. Rowe" wrote:
|
| > The server doesn't appear to have the FP extensions installed.
| >
| > --
| > ==============================================
| > Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| > ==============================================
| > If you feel your current issue is a results of installing
| > a Service Pack or security update, please contact
| > Microsoft Product Support Services:
| > http://support.microsoft.com
| > If the problem can be shown to have been caused by a
| > security update, then there is usually no charge for the call.
| > ==============================================

extensions using FP's File Menu |

When I try
Extensions on
FrontPage 2003
Results
Results

I want to

[mailto:[email protected]]
Frontpage

Frontpage?

This is kind of freaky:
The address my host gives me to access my page is
http://tommis.home.mchsi.com/
The address my control panel gives me to preview my site is:
http://home.mchsi.com/~tommis/
The preview address works correctly with the FP 2003 web discussion. I
don't know how many other ISP give alternate address routes, but hopefully
someone else with the same problem will find this thread. Sorry I popped so
many replies, but I wanted to ask all that I could while you were available.
Thank you very much gentleman for your help and it was very quickly. If
there were a few more people like you around no one would sufferl. Thanks
again,

Dan :)
http://home.mchsi.com/~tommis/

Tom Pepper Willett said:
If they are not installed, The host must install the extensions. You can't
use any of the components, such as the "message board" that require
extensions without them being installed. You must http publish, not ftp, to
a site with the extensions installed to make the components work properly.
--
===
Tom "Pepper" Willett
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
---
About FrontPage 2003:
http://office.microsoft.com/home/office.aspx?assetid=FX01085802
How to ask a newsgroup question:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
===
|I checked my control panel, my isp rep said the problem was:
| "The error message that you are receiving means that the personal web page
| upload utility and the Front Page editor that you are using are not
| interfacing correctly. The error may be resolved if you update the
version
| of Front Page that you are using, or try uploading your site using a
regular
| ftp tool instead of the build in front page upload utility."
| Unfortunately they did not solve my problem. How can I verify that the FP
| extensions are installed on the server/site?
|
| Thanks again,
| Dan
|
| "Thomas A. Rowe" wrote:
|
| > The server doesn't appear to have the FP extensions installed.
| >
| > --
| > ==============================================
| > Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| > ==============================================
| > If you feel your current issue is a results of installing
| > a Service Pack or security update, please contact
| > Microsoft Product Support Services:
| > http://support.microsoft.com
| > If the problem can be shown to have been caused by a
| > security update, then there is usually no charge for the call.
| > ==============================================

extensions using FP's File Menu |

When I try
Extensions on
FrontPage 2003
Results
Results

I want to

[mailto:[email protected]]
Frontpage

Frontpage?

Rob Giordano \(Crash\)

The problem remains that you don't have FP extensions.

| This is kind of freaky:
| The address my host gives me to access my page is
| http://tommis.home.mchsi.com/
| The address my control panel gives me to preview my site is:
| http://home.mchsi.com/~tommis/
| The preview address works correctly with the FP 2003 web discussion. I
| don't know how many other ISP give alternate address routes, but hopefully
| someone else with the same problem will find this thread. Sorry I popped
so
| many replies, but I wanted to ask all that I could while you were
available.
| Thank you very much gentleman for your help and it was very quickly. If
| there were a few more people like you around no one would sufferl. Thanks
| again,
|
| Dan :)
| http://home.mchsi.com/~tommis/
|

| "Tom Pepper Willett" wrote:
|
| > If they are not installed, The host must install the extensions. You
can't
| > use any of the components, such as the "message board" that require
| > extensions without them being installed. You must http publish, not
ftp, to
| > a site with the extensions installed to make the components work
properly.
| > --
| > ===
| > Tom "Pepper" Willett
| > Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
| > ---
| > About FrontPage 2003:
| > http://office.microsoft.com/home/office.aspx?assetid=FX01085802
| > How to ask a newsgroup question:
| > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
| > ===
| > | "The error message that you are receiving means that the personal web
page
| > | upload utility and the Front Page editor that you are using are not
| > | interfacing correctly. The error may be resolved if you update the
| > version
| > | of Front Page that you are using, or try uploading your site using a
| > regular
| > | ftp tool instead of the build in front page upload utility."
| > | Unfortunately they did not solve my problem. How can I verify that
the FP
| > | extensions are installed on the server/site?
| > |
| > | Thanks again,
| > | Dan
| > |
| > | "Thomas A. Rowe" wrote:
| > |

| > tried to
| > cute
| > work though

| > extensions using FP's File Menu |
FP
| > extensions, then you will not

| > space
| > When I try
| > Extensions on
| > extensions
| > FrontPage 2003
| > and then you
| > folder of the
| > Results
For
| > example, if
Save
| > Results
| > which does

| > 'root'
| > a test
| > I want to

| > see:

message
| > up and could
FrontPage
| > 2002
| > even put a web

Wizard.

Trevor L.

I have used a third party program which allows all visitors to post messages
which are then visible on your own website. I think they are actually stored
on another site which you link to. There is no need for FP extensions and it
is free, at least for casual users.

I haven't had much feedback on my site, but when experimenting with it, it
appears to work OK. Whether there is a limit on the number of messages or
not, I don't know.

Visit my site and click on Yellbox to see how it works. On the message page,
you will find a link to the site (YellBox.com). I you want to, leave a
message to let me know if you like it. I have no connection with this site.

--
Cheers,
Trevor L.

Richard said:
I use Jumpline as my web server. I posted the discussion site up
and could not get the information to save. Jumpline does have
FrontPage 2002 extentions. I am not sure if I have set it up
properly. I even put a web counter on and it doesn't work
properly. CAn you help?

:

File | New | More Web Site Templates | Discussion Web Wizard.

Regards Jens Peter Karlsen. Microsoft MVP - Frontpage.

Posted To: microsoft.public.frontpage.client
Conversation: How do I create a message board using Frontpage

I have a web site and I would like to create a message board
page so that members of my organization can post feedback.
How do I go about creating a Message Board using Microsoft
Frontpage?

Thomas A. Rowe

The problem is how the host has setup the FP extensions to work the subdomain
(http://tommis.home.mchsi.com/).

Whereas http://home.mchsi.com/~tommis/ is a FP subweb/site.

Rob Giordano (Crash) said:
The problem remains that you don't have FP extensions.

| This is kind of freaky:
| The address my host gives me to access my page is
| http://tommis.home.mchsi.com/
| The address my control panel gives me to preview my site is:
| http://home.mchsi.com/~tommis/
| The preview address works correctly with the FP 2003 web discussion. I
| don't know how many other ISP give alternate address routes, but hopefully
| someone else with the same problem will find this thread. Sorry I popped
so
| many replies, but I wanted to ask all that I could while you were
available.
| Thank you very much gentleman for your help and it was very quickly. If
| there were a few more people like you around no one would sufferl. Thanks
| again,
|
| Dan :)
| http://home.mchsi.com/~tommis/
|

| "Tom Pepper Willett" wrote:
|
| > If they are not installed, The host must install the extensions. You
can't
| > use any of the components, such as the "message board" that require
| > extensions without them being installed. You must http publish, not
ftp, to
| > a site with the extensions installed to make the components work
properly.
| > --
| > ===
| > Tom "Pepper" Willett
| > Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
| > ---
| > About FrontPage 2003:
| > http://office.microsoft.com/home/office.aspx?assetid=FX01085802
| > How to ask a newsgroup question:
| > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
| > ===
| > | "The error message that you are receiving means that the personal web
page
| > | upload utility and the Front Page editor that you are using are not
| > | interfacing correctly. The error may be resolved if you update the
| > version
| > | of Front Page that you are using, or try uploading your site using a
| > regular
| > | ftp tool instead of the build in front page upload utility."
| > | Unfortunately they did not solve my problem. How can I verify that
the FP
| > | extensions are installed on the server/site?
| > |
| > | Thanks again,
| > | Dan
| > |