how do I change ownership of and "unknown" owner

Chris

My administrator log in will not allow me to change
ownership of a report. All my reports are locked and
ownership is unknown, and there is no way to log into
unknown. And I can't find a way to turn security off and
reset it. I have 4 months worth of work locked into this
files. All my other selections (ie tables, macros,
queries) all work properly, just the reports tab. How
can I either drop ALL security or change ownership of the
reports to admin?

Eric Butts [MSFT]

Hi Chris,

If your objects are showing Owner as 'Unknown' then it's most likely a
corruption issue. Thereby, you will need to resort to a good backup copy
of the object in your backup database.

Regards,

Eric Butts
Microsoft Access Support
(e-mail address removed)
"Microsoft Security Announcement: Have you installed the patch for
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-026? If not Microsoft strongly advises
you to review the information at the following link regarding Microsoft
Security Bulletin MS03-026
<http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms03-026.asp> and/or
to visit Windows Update at <http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/> to install
the patch. Running the SCAN program from the Windows Update site will help
to insure you are current with all security patches, not just MS03-026."

| From: "Chris" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Chris" <[email protected]>
| Subject: how do I change ownership of and "unknown" owner
| Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 07:47:09 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.access.security
|
| My administrator log in will not allow me to change
| ownership of a report. All my reports are locked and
| ownership is unknown, and there is no way to log into
| unknown. And I can't find a way to turn security off and
| reset it. I have 4 months worth of work locked into this
| files. All my other selections (ie tables, macros,
| queries) all work properly, just the reports tab. How
| can I either drop ALL security or change ownership of the
| reports to admin?

Chris

Well I can get on a machine inwhich the security features
were not turned on and I can access the data fine. But
when I try to import the reports to the secured
machine . . . it tells me I do not have exclusive rights
and my settings will not be saved. I am logged in as
admin. I think there is something wrong with my
administrator rights. I also would not let me export
from the clean machine to the secured one. I am really
confused.

Thanks for any help you can give. If it would help, I
can email a copy of the database to whomever thinks they
can help.

Eric Butts [MSFT]

Hi Chris,

The Administrator you are talking about should be the Administrator of the
database and not your machine Administrator. Access security has nothing
to do with NT or machine level security.

Again, if the objects you are having problems with have 'Unknown' for
Owner, in all my experience it's been corruption. Do a Google search for
"database recovery", "access" if you can't resort to back up copy.

Regards,

Eric Butts
Microsoft Access Support
(e-mail address removed)
"Microsoft Security Announcement: Have you installed the patch for
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-026? If not Microsoft strongly advises
you to review the information at the following link regarding Microsoft
Security Bulletin MS03-026
<http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms03-026.asp> and/or
to visit Windows Update at <http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/> to install
the patch. Running the SCAN program from the Windows Update site will help
to insure you are current with all security patches, not just MS03-026."

| From: "Chris" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Chris" <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: how do I change ownership of and "unknown" owner
| Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 06:52:16 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.access.security
|
| Well I can get on a machine inwhich the security features
| were not turned on and I can access the data fine. But
| when I try to import the reports to the secured
| machine . . . it tells me I do not have exclusive rights
| and my settings will not be saved. I am logged in as
| admin. I think there is something wrong with my
| administrator rights. I also would not let me export
| from the clean machine to the secured one. I am really
| confused.
|
| Thanks for any help you can give. If it would help, I
| can email a copy of the database to whomever thinks they
| can help.

| >|
| >| My administrator log in will not allow me to change
| >| ownership of a report. All my reports are locked and
| >| ownership is unknown, and there is no way to log into
| >| unknown. And I can't find a way to turn security off
| and
| >| reset it. I have 4 months worth of work locked into
| this
| >| files. All my other selections (ie tables, macros,
| >| queries) all work properly, just the reports tab. How
| >| can I either drop ALL security or change ownership of
| the
| >| reports to admin?
| >|

| >.

TC

Eric, sorry to take issue with you twice in one day, but the most common
cause of an object's owner being 'Unknown', is that the user is using the
wrong workgroup file. That is, the object is owned by a SID that does not
exist in the current workgroup file.

HTH,
TC

Eric Butts [MSFT]

Agree!! Taking that the obvious was already checked.... there's tons of
cases where they are joining to correct MDW file however the owner shows as
Unknown.

Eric

--------------------
| From: "TC" <[email protected]>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.access.security
| Subject: Re: how do I change ownership of and "unknown" owner
| Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 13:06:05 +0930
|
| Eric, sorry to take issue with you twice in one day, but the most common
| cause of an object's owner being 'Unknown', is that the user is using the
| wrong workgroup file. That is, the object is owned by a SID that does not
| exist in the current workgroup file.
|
| HTH,
| TC
|

| | > Hi Chris,
| >
| > The Administrator you are talking about should be the Administrator of
the
| > database and not your machine Administrator. Access security has
nothing
| > to do with NT or machine level security.
| >
| > Again, if the objects you are having problems with have 'Unknown' for
| > Owner, in all my experience it's been corruption. Do a Google search
for
| > "database recovery", "access" if you can't resort to back up copy.
| >
| > Regards,
| >
| > Eric Butts
| > Microsoft Access Support
| > (e-mail address removed)
| > "Microsoft Security Announcement: Have you installed the patch for
| > Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-026? If not Microsoft strongly advises
| > you to review the information at the following link regarding Microsoft
| > Security Bulletin MS03-026
| > <http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms03-026.asp>
and/or
| > to visit Windows Update at <http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/> to
| install
| > the patch. Running the SCAN program from the Windows Update site will
| help
| > to insure you are current with all security patches, not just MS03-026."

rights

| > --------------------
| > | From: "Chris" <[email protected]>
| > | Sender: "Chris" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: RE: how do I change ownership of and "unknown" owner
| > | Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 06:52:16 -0700
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.access.security
| > |
| > | Well I can get on a machine inwhich the security features
| > | were not turned on and I can access the data fine. But
| > | when I try to import the reports to the secured
| > | machine . . . it tells me I do not have exclusive rights
| > | and my settings will not be saved. I am logged in as
| > | admin. I think there is something wrong with my
| > | administrator rights. I also would not let me export
| > | from the clean machine to the secured one. I am really
| > | confused.
| > |
| > | Thanks for any help you can give. If it would help, I
| > | can email a copy of the database to whomever thinks they
| > | can help.
| > |

| > | >|
| > | and
| > | this
| > | the
| > | >|

| > |

Joan Wild

Eric said:
Agree!! Taking that the obvious was already checked.... there's tons
of cases where they are joining to correct MDW file however the owner
shows as Unknown.

Eric

It is possible that that object was created using a different mdw, by a user
that is not in the current mdw.

In other words, two different mdw files have been used, and they don't each
have the same users. I have never seen this as an indication of corruption.