How can I add the date sent/received to the preview pane?

I'm new to Outlook 2003; I just switched over from 2000 and for the most
part, the transition has been smooth. The only thing I'm not fond of is the
look of the preview pane. I actually have two questions:

1. How can I add the date sent/received to the to/from field at the top of
the preview pane? All that's visible are the subject, the sender, and me --
the recipient. (Subject and sender, by the way, are in some kind of giant
font size that I seem unable to change, as well -- I'd love it if someone
could tell me how to tone the size down, too. It's wasted space that could
be used for the body of the message. Plus, I have 20/20 vision -- I don't
need to be able to read that stuff from across the room.) Among the reasons
I have for needing to see this info specifically in the preview pane is the
one where I have more than 1,500 messages in my inbox, and if I arrange them,
say, by sender, click on a message in the queue above, it will of course
appear in the preview pane; but if I go back and rearrange the queue by date,
although the message is still in the preview pane, I have no way of easily
going back into the queue to find it. I hope that makes sense.

2. If there is a way to get rid of the thick gray outline around the
preview pane, or at least make it thinner, I'd love to know how. My reason
is purely aesthetic -- I just don't like the way it looks.

Thanks so much for anyone who can help with either of these issues!

--Kate

Milly Staples - [MVP - Outlook]

1. Right click in the column header, select Field Chooser - find the all
mail fields and then drag the Received and/or Sent field to the column and
drop it where you want.

2. Not configurable to the best of my knowledge.

--
Milly Staples - [MVP Outlook]

Post all replies to the news group. Unsolicited mail sent to my
personal address will be deleted without reading.

After furious head scratching, Mockingbirdbat
<[email protected]> asked:

| I'm new to Outlook 2003; I just switched over from 2000 and for the
| most part, the transition has been smooth. The only thing I'm not
| fond of is the look of the preview pane. I actually have two
| questions:
|
| 1. How can I add the date sent/received to the to/from field at the
| top of the preview pane? All that's visible are the subject, the
| sender, and me -- the recipient. (Subject and sender, by the way,
| are in some kind of giant font size that I seem unable to change, as
| well -- I'd love it if someone could tell me how to tone the size
| down, too. It's wasted space that could be used for the body of the
| message. Plus, I have 20/20 vision -- I don't need to be able to
| read that stuff from across the room.) Among the reasons I have for
| needing to see this info specifically in the preview pane is the one
| where I have more than 1,500 messages in my inbox, and if I arrange
| them, say, by sender, click on a message in the queue above, it will
| of course appear in the preview pane; but if I go back and rearrange
| the queue by date, although the message is still in the preview pane,
| I have no way of easily going back into the queue to find it. I hope
| that makes sense.
|
| 2. If there is a way to get rid of the thick gray outline around the
| preview pane, or at least make it thinner, I'd love to know how. My
| reason is purely aesthetic -- I just don't like the way it looks.
|
| Thanks so much for anyone who can help with either of these issues!
|
| --Kate

Milly Staples - [MVP - Outlook]

Oops, just reread number 1. My solution works if reading pane is at the
bottom. You need to use the View menu to set what displays in the message
list next to the Reading Pane.

--
Milly Staples - [MVP Outlook]

Post all replies to the news group. Unsolicited mail sent to my
personal address will be deleted without reading.

After furious head scratching, Mockingbirdbat
<[email protected]> asked:

| I'm new to Outlook 2003; I just switched over from 2000 and for the
| most part, the transition has been smooth. The only thing I'm not
| fond of is the look of the preview pane. I actually have two
| questions:
|
| 1. How can I add the date sent/received to the to/from field at the
| top of the preview pane? All that's visible are the subject, the
| sender, and me -- the recipient. (Subject and sender, by the way,
| are in some kind of giant font size that I seem unable to change, as
| well -- I'd love it if someone could tell me how to tone the size
| down, too. It's wasted space that could be used for the body of the
| message. Plus, I have 20/20 vision -- I don't need to be able to
| read that stuff from across the room.) Among the reasons I have for
| needing to see this info specifically in the preview pane is the one
| where I have more than 1,500 messages in my inbox, and if I arrange
| them, say, by sender, click on a message in the queue above, it will
| of course appear in the preview pane; but if I go back and rearrange
| the queue by date, although the message is still in the preview pane,
| I have no way of easily going back into the queue to find it. I hope
| that makes sense.
|
| 2. If there is a way to get rid of the thick gray outline around the
| preview pane, or at least make it thinner, I'd love to know how. My
| reason is purely aesthetic -- I just don't like the way it looks.
|
| Thanks so much for anyone who can help with either of these issues!
|
| --Kate

Hi, Milly! Thanks so much for responding... although I think maybe I wasn't
clear about exactly where I want the date to appear.

Forget everything else but just the preview pane -- no matter where it is,
at the bottom or to the side, we don't care -- what we want is for the date
of the message to appear inside it next to, or under, or over (we don't care)
the name of the person who sent the message. So it would look something like
this (in the preview pane):

Subject <<<< we have this
Does that make more sense? In other words, I'm not talking about the field
chooser for the columns -- I'm talking about a way to make the date appear
inside the actual preview pane where the message is.

Thanks again, everybody! :)

--Kate

Milly Staples - said:
1. Right click in the column header, select Field Chooser - find the all
mail fields and then drag the Received and/or Sent field to the column and
drop it where you want.

2. Not configurable to the best of my knowledge.

--
Milly Staples - [MVP Outlook]

Post all replies to the news group. Unsolicited mail sent to my
personal address will be deleted without reading.

After furious head scratching, Mockingbirdbat
<[email protected]> asked:

| I'm new to Outlook 2003; I just switched over from 2000 and for the
| most part, the transition has been smooth. The only thing I'm not
| fond of is the look of the preview pane. I actually have two
| questions:
|
| 1. How can I add the date sent/received to the to/from field at the
| top of the preview pane? All that's visible are the subject, the
| sender, and me -- the recipient. (Subject and sender, by the way,
| are in some kind of giant font size that I seem unable to change, as
| well -- I'd love it if someone could tell me how to tone the size
| down, too. It's wasted space that could be used for the body of the
| message. Plus, I have 20/20 vision -- I don't need to be able to
| read that stuff from across the room.) Among the reasons I have for
| needing to see this info specifically in the preview pane is the one
| where I have more than 1,500 messages in my inbox, and if I arrange
| them, say, by sender, click on a message in the queue above, it will
| of course appear in the preview pane; but if I go back and rearrange
| the queue by date, although the message is still in the preview pane,
| I have no way of easily going back into the queue to find it. I hope
| that makes sense.
|
| 2. If there is a way to get rid of the thick gray outline around the
| preview pane, or at least make it thinner, I'd love to know how. My
| reason is purely aesthetic -- I just don't like the way it looks.
|
| Thanks so much for anyone who can help with either of these issues!
|
| --Kate

Brian Tillman

Subject <<<< we have this