how about a chat room?

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
I think PC Review should have a chat room type thing, just for kicks. just for members perhaps, it could be an off topic thing. if yall ever been to gamespy arcade, then it would be like that maybe. just thinking.
(If you are a gamespy member im {TS}-Magnum-{Gen})
icon6.gif

Reaction score
we have had this discussion a while ago - it costs money and aparently it wouldn't get used.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
The board is good for everything as it is and if you post your messges you get responses which are more detailed and structured. You cannot do that in a chat. :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Not for me ... tried it once, cost a few bob and wasn't used.

:)

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear all

I agree with the comments above. To be honest and I don't want to start a major contoversy here (just my thoughts), some of the posts, contents and language which has appeared from some writers recently has been a bit iffy I feel. A chat room has its pros and cons but could be quite a task for some-one to moderate. I also agree that the off topic section of the site allows for alsorts to be discussed and for some quality information to be shared.

I need to say that I am not some massive PC person but the last couple of weeks have left me wondering whether there may need to be some gentle reminders about content, tone and language.

Please do not shoot me!

Gabriella x

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
gabriella said:
.................the last couple of weeks have left me wondering whether there may need to be some gentle reminders about content, tone and language.
I cannot agree more with you on your point of view, very well put. Come to think of it until very recently moderation on this board was done in moderation, I am afraid not anymore.

I am hoping folks will take a cue from this thread.

Reaction score
i now moderate gaming aswell so rest assured any nasty content should be removed asap...

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear Quad

And on a slightly lighter note....nice to see pinky is back!! Is he a permanent return? He seems so cute and friendly and such good fun. Welcome back pinky!!

Gabriella x

Reaction score
whats been going on in the threads?, i haven't noticed anything

no chat room, you can't refer back to one like you can a thread and chat rooms are two confusing for helping people.

waste of time and waste of money, plus you attract the wrong type of users.

but yeah i'm up for a chat room. NOT!

J

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
gabriella said:
Dear Quad

And on a slightly lighter note....nice to see pinky is back!! Is he a permanent return? He seems so cute and friendly and such good fun. Welcome back pinky!!

Gabriella x
Yes Pinky is back for good! :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Techy said:
whats been going on in the threads?, i haven't noticed anything
Lots of mild swearing etc... mainly - I'm adding a big list of swear words to a "censor" file now. Should be fun to compile ;)

I feel old as I can only compile about 7 words I can think of to ****ing filter (that was a test to see if it works ;)).

Just out of interest, what are peoples general thoughts about swearing and profanities?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Just out of interest, what are peoples general thoughts about swearing and profanities?
Now, coming from me, this may seem a little odd, but I really don't like cussin' on forums.

I think it's too easy a form with which to express yourself. To get your point across in a polite yet firm way takes a small modicum of intelligence. If you can't make your point without Donald Ducking then you are to be pitied.

Apart from that, may I remind peeps that this forum was originally conceived as a family forum where we'd hope that both kids and parents can visit without having to worry about content.

Constant swearing is boring, if everybody cusses, it loses it's impact anyway. If you have to disagree with somebody, do it in a polite and hopefully enlightened way.

Good grief, some of Mucks' sarcastic comments are far more offensive to me than the F word. Only kidding, Mr Mucks ;)

Anyway, what's acceptable? I dunno, 'ass' and 'arse' ain't offensive. Nor is 'tit' really. Ohmigawd, I'm off now, here we go - pee po belly bum drawers :eek:

Did Ian's filter work?

Anyway, that's my POV. FWIW.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Oh yes, original subject - a chat room. I'm on a few other forums, some of which have chat rooms. I've used them, having a good old chat when some boring so and so comes in and starts talking about computer problems of all things :eek:

I don't think I've been in a chat room for at least six months now. There are pros and cons but generally I'd support what everybody else has expressed - no.

Use ICQ, MSN, whatever, if you want to chat. I'm sure there are multi user chatrooms as well, though I really don't know.

I'm on ICQ and that's it. And I don't think I've opened that for over six weeks.

Reaction score
prehaps alongside everyones name should be their msn so its visible to everyone. so techincally you could chat to some1 using their msn.

this way it wont cost pcreview.co.uk any money. but of course does everyone really want to be bugged by peoples problems or ideas on their personal msn lists?

......just a thought!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
psd99 said:
prehaps alongside everyones name should be their msn so its visible to everyone. so techincally you could chat to some1 using their msn.
Personally, I don't use MSN. Biggest magnet to viruses/adware/spyware that I know of.

You could always put your MSN handle in your sig. Just a thought. Though I honestly don't know much about this stuff, it's just always me who has to clear up the mess that somebody using MSN has attracted.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
I dont mind swearing, I aint gonna lie, I use it all the time when talking to friends. Its ok, unless its used every other word (ya'll know what I mean:rolleyes: ) or people use it to cus' each other. But dont get me wrong, there are some words that should not see the light of day ;).

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score

If I see it, it gets deleted ... if that person continues to use any sort of profanities, I'll simply delete their account. No warning will be given.

There are a few 'regular members' slipping, please clean-up your act or you just might find yourself with a ban, it may be temporary or it may be permanent.

... back on topic.
:cool:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I have alwyas been open about what should be allowed and what should not be allowed on the forum. There are many posts on this forum so I do not have to repeat myself.

I agree with what Flops says as well as the short and to the point message posted by Mucks. Need I say more?

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I have to say, I can't stand it when people can't seem to say a single sentance without swearing every other word! On forums, I think I just ignore it if people swear a little, but it's not as much of a problem for me as others. I like the free and easy-going atmosphere that PCR has, so I think it would be a shame to make things too strict... it would be nice to be able to rely on people to use their common sense, but seeing as some members seem to be somewhat lacking... a filter is a good idea :)

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Personally, I don't use MSN. Biggest magnet to viruses/adware/spyware that I know of.

You could always put your MSN handle in your sig. Just a thought. Though I honestly don't know much about this stuff, it's just always me who has to clear up the mess that somebody using MSN has attracted.

really?

i did not really know of this

thats really bad then. is this only true if one accepts files? or does it come through the same connection ports as msn?

Ask a Question