House Selling Rant.......

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I sold my house ages ago and everythings been progressing nicely, with proposed completion dates for the end of this week - when some tw*t further back the chain has suddenly decided that he doesn't want to proceed anymore due to 'personal reasons' - but its OK 'cos hes 'very sorry' :rolleyes:

I wasted all this weekend packing everything into boxes ready to move, and also its gonna cost me around £600 in Solicitors fees etc - now I've got to cancel everything and unpack it all again - as if its not hard enough recently working 16 hours a day
wallbash.gif

The system sucks in England - when you agree to buy a house you should be made to pay a non-refundable deposit to cover any costs if you pull out without good reason.

Sorry to rant, but I needed to get it out of my system...:(

Reaction score
Tell me about it! The government re: England and Wales property sales need a kick up the ars:mad: ? I think in Scotland it is a far better system, in the USA it certainly is, it happened to my son last week, still he has been offered more now but! It can happen again to him,:wall: sorry Ady:(

Reaction score
estate agents, beware

A friend is selling his flat at the moment, he has been mucked about by the seller & his estate agent, he now has said either the buyer comes up with the full deposit of about £18k, to be deposited with his legal people when it is all completed on Thursday or the flat goes back on the market.

His estate agents are fobbing him off with the usual crap!
Some of them really do give their fellow estate agents a bad name for the shady way some operate.

Where you going to move to Ady?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Well I was hoping to move closer to my girlfriend in Hampshire....:(

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Cut out the Estate Agent ... ;)

When selling, or buying, in Scotland the majority of Agents are Solicitors ... there is no deposits ... if the buyer, very rarely the seller, pulls out, then they have to pay compensation of any costs incurred. There is no 'leashold' in Scotland. :thumb:

Once the seller's solicitor has sent the acceptance, then you are responsible for the structure of the property, so don't forget to take out buildings insurance. :)

There are no "chains" in Scotland ... actually, a lot of people will buy a house before they have even put their own on the market.

Move to Scotland ... it's a lot nicer, and cheap too.
happywave.gif

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Yep, the Scottish system seems a much better way to go :thumb:

In my case the Estate Agent wasn't the problem, in fact they've been very good - but I appreciate what your saying Mucks, there are some useless and unscrupulous ones around :rolleyes:

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
God that sounds appalling :wall:

Over here, once you put your name on the dotted line that's it & if you don't have a pre-approved mortgage (or a fat bank account) then chances are the seller will simply refuse your offer.

& the solicitors fees :eek: Over here solicitors fees are usually about $500. That would be £160 - £170 I believe.

& how long ago did you sell? Possesson dates here are usually 4-6 weeks from sale.

After what you've been through the process over here is starting to look very straighforward. You rant all you want Ady. The system has screwwed you over big time!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Second property I bought, was the ground floor flat of a house converted, took 7 months to buy cos my solicitor discovered no planning permission had ever been given for original conversion.

This finding, naturally, put fear of God up seller. They weren't too fond of us cos previous 3 transactions, no solicitor had noticed or found this thing.

In the end, Council actually saw sense and agreed planning permission, 20 years down the line, lol

Of course, all you males out there, beware, you cohabit, you breed, the place is hers, no arguments whatsoever.

I found out the hard way.

All those years of paying for nothing. She now owns a place in Glastonbury, I have a fekkin' council flat.

22 years of paying. And one of my three kids lives with me now, just to rub salt in the wound.

Gents, I'm serious, don't be blind, law favours females, don't cohabit if you can help it or she gets everything.

Ok, rant over, but it's true.

Of course, if you think your relationship will be strong for the next 25 years, go ahead :)

Oh, I know, you're all laughing, you're all thinking 'I'm different' and it will last.

You ain't.

It won't.

Unless you're very very lucky.

Happy house owning :)

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
I had it happen to me too (with variations of course)
I was legally entitled to the value of half the house,
But unfortunately it is not just about the Law.
The situation also favours the one who loves least.
They tend to be the ones most willing to walk all over the other.
Not a pleasant situation :(

But I also agree,
always prepare for divorce/seperation/death before you make the commitment.
You may be one of the lucky ones & live happily together for the rest of your lives
But in real life all you ever have is today
& Believing something doesn't make it true
However firm your intentions are.

Plan for the worst,
Hope for the best,
Live for today
:)

I'm Off Topic, sorry Ady.
Feel free to delete if desired :blush:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Ok - I'll find somewhere else :(

:p

PMSL

I think if anyone backs out of a chain that is more than 3 people they should be held accountable for the expenses of the others they have affected

In fact why 3 sod it anyone that backs out should have to pay. Seems fair to me ;)

Sorry to hear it Ady, least you wont see Chris on ya travels hahahaha ;)

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Second property I bought, was the ground floor flat of a house converted, took 7 months to buy cos my solicitor discovered no planning permission had ever been given for original conversion.

This finding, naturally, put fear of God up seller. They weren't too fond of us cos previous 3 transactions, no solicitor had noticed or found this thing.

In the end, Council actually saw sense and agreed planning permission, 20 years down the line, lol
:)

Im sure there is a law that if any work that has been done and not discovered by any borough after a period of five years it is supposed to be granted without arguement. I maybe wrong though...Hmmm sure I read that somewhere

Ask a Question