Hot weather becoming Chilly!

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
All this lovely sun has really pushed my Chillies and tomatoes into an extra growth spurt and has ripened them really nicely..I picked some a couple of hours ago.
Thought I would post a few piccies up for anyone that's interested, Cucumbers are also having a growth spurt too as are the sweet peppers, another week until I pick those.:nod:

2011-09-30171952.jpg

My F1's very red and very hot hot hot!

2011-09-30172206.jpg

2011-09-30172008.jpg

Looking forward to Cheese and Tommy sandwiches with these..:D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
hmmm, them toms look good, gonna have a grow-bag on me window next year I think. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Excellent stuff Mr Legs :thumb:

Might have to invest in a few grobags meself come spring, I have space here but only paving slabs ;)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Mmmmm, those chilis and tomatoes look sooooooo good! There is nothing quite so tasty as a home-grown tomato fresh from the vine. Well done CL. What variety are the toms, if I might ask? :)

muckshifter

Reaction score
they look like Marmande to me, but then I'm no gardener, I just eat them. :D

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
The Tommy's are Marmande variety and are disease resistant, I have grown all these plants in Gro-bags and containers in my gro-house, I don't have any beds with soil in just containers in the gro-house on the patio..

P1020184.jpg

Gro-house from Argos £19.99 put it up in less than an hour bolted it to the concrete and it withstood 60mph storms last week, nuff said!
P1020180.jpg

P1020175.jpg

F1 Chilli plants were 49p each and they produce average 30-35 chillies per plant, very easy to grow..:nod: these pics were when I first planted them, they a lot bigger now of course..

2011-09-15134117.jpg

On the vine!
2011-09-15134200.jpg

Sweet peppers these are very nearly there now and are almost as red as the Chilli's I picked, another week for these..
2011-09-15134214.jpg

Chillies just chilli'n in the sun ;)
I'll post some more pics to the thread of the sweet peppers and cucumbers when they are ready, hopefully this weather will carry on for a few more days and heat the Gro-house up nice and hot.
Hope I haven't bored anyone!

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Just been out and watered the old plants

Took a couple more pics!

2011-10-01170912.jpg

2011-10-01170612.jpg

2011-10-01170654.jpg

Sweet Peppers almost ready to harvest..:thumb:
2011-10-01170843.jpg

More Chillies on the way especially with this lovely hot weather!

2011-10-01170713.jpg

Unfortunately me Potatoes didn't fare so well and got ripped to shreds in the storm last week, although some are trying to make a comeback, not sure if they will make it :(

2011-10-01170736.jpg

On a lighter note this Miniature Fig tree I bought from Lidl for 99p has absolutely blown me away and I will be eating figs next year, it was only 8" high I replanted it and now its over 3 foot in 3 months, it won't grow much bigger though luckily..
It was to soon this year for a crop but next year it will bear fruit, and I love fresh figs so can't wait to grow and eat my own..:drool:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Wow CL!! I'm really impressed that you've been able to grow so many yummy veggies in your grow-house. It all looks very appetising and, must be giving you a great sense of satisfaction to see that lovely ripe produce. Great to see the piccies, thank you for sharing. :D

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Wow! I cannot imagine ever coming around to doing gardening myself, never done it in me life. But those tomatoes sure are mouth watering to say the least :drool:I love cheese and tomato sandwich and stuffed tomatoes with minced meat baked :)

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I had never done gardening before 4 months ago when I bought the Gro-house, its the first time I had ever touched containers and pots and plants, but I just thought its not rocket science, you bung the plants in a container, bung some soil all around it then press it down and water it, give it a sunny place and some shelter for the cool evenings and that should do it..

Thats it really haven't done anything special except feed them once a week with Tomorite vegetable feed and watered them every evening, simple as that..3-4 months later your looking at the results in the pics on this thread..:nod:

I would say to anyone thinking of growing a few tommy's or chillies to give it a go, its so simple and the satisfaction you get from cooking and eating your own produce is immense..and of course they are all Organic :thumb:

Last edited:

muckshifter

Reaction score
I see Basil in there too :D

If you want to ripen some of them 'late' tomatoes, pick them off the vine and put them with a couple of ripening bananas, not in direct sunlite ... :)

a great crop there CL :thumb:

Reaction score
Good bit of plant growing CL you will soon have your name for an allotment you have a hidden talent and green fingers:bow: It seems I can only grow weeds I take my hat off to you:bow:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Cheers guys..

Yes Muck's the Basil just grows and grows I pick it regular and it just keeps growing, wonderful smell from it..Yes if the sunny weather doesn't quite ripen the rest of the tommy's over the next few days then a banana will come in handy, I read its the methane gas they give off that helps ripen fruit, thanks for that little reminder..:nod:

Bootneck I not got green fingers far from it, they grew all themselves I just watered em thats all, the gro-house is enough for me, keeps me busy pottering around when I got nowt to do..:)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
CL you sure make it sound simple and I believe you. Maybe someday I will have a go at it. :)

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Well folks just posting an update to the thread..

I went out there today and remember I said that my potatoes were all but nearly wrecked in the storm we had a few weeks back, well I pulled up what was left of the plant and roots for the compost heap and was then scooping some of the soil out of the Potato bag when I hit something soft but solid under the soil about 4" inches down, blow me down I pulls up a spud then another I grabbed me mini fork and turned the soil and there they all were loads of em all sitting there just waiting for me to pull them up, I pulled out a couple of handfulls and left some still in there for when I have used these up..
These are New potatoes by the way originally from Tesco's and ones I had left over in the cupboard that started to root, so I planted them back in May not expecting too much..

P1020209.jpg

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
They look absolutely great CL, and what's more, I'll bet they're going to be soooo tasty! Enjoy. :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Nice one Crazylegs, I envy you. Makes me really want to try and grow some stuff.

Guess I'll have to wait til Spring now though, which I suppose gives me plenty of time for research.

Reaction score
Told you green fingers and soon to be an allotment holder, so there wont be any need to go to Tesco's for fresh veg(well as fresh as Tesco will allow):lol:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Just posting the last of the produce from the Gro-house, went out there and picked the last chilly's, and tommy's and a cucumber...Thought I better as it went down to 5C last night and I can't see it being to long before we get a frost overnight and that will be the end of them, left a couple of small peppers on the plant but can't see them ripening to be honest as they to small and haven't reached there full potential..

Most of the plants don't have anything left growing on them as I have eaten most of it..:)

P1020212.jpg

The last of the veg..:(
P1020213.jpg

Notice the Cucumbers stunted growth due to the colder weather and darker evenings now coming in, its only about 10" long but hopefully will still taste nice and sweet..:D We shall see

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
They look really good CL - what are you planning to make with the chilis? They'll bring a nice warmth to a tasty dish... just right now that the days are turning colder. :thumb: