Hot USB cable

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I have a Samsung Galaxy S3. I normally use the wall socket to charge the phoen via USB/plug, but if I am loading music to the phone I obviously use the USB to PC cable and let the phone charge.
The last couple of days it has charged via USB/PC I have noticed the USB cable gets pretty warm. Is this normal ??

Reaction score
Sorry but as a poor person i cant afford bling like you!:lol:
But no it's not normal to get hot, could be a faulty cable?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Does it look damaged? It shouldn't get hot.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Please stop using your cable, it is not a good sign if it is warm to touch.

The USB socket on the computer be it laptop or desktop cannot give out more than 0.4 to 0.5 amp current which is way less than any android phones needs on the market which is close to 0.9 amp. Atleast that is what I found out some time ago when I researched it. My motorola is an example too.

Ever notice that when you are charging your phone via computer it takes twice as long and on the other hand when you charge it with the supplied charger it is much quicker?

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
New cable aquiredand not getting hot. Salesman got one from one of the demo boxes

Reaction score
this heat produced in the cable is due to insufficient earth problem that means every electronic item should have a neutral and ground if there is no ground connection this may occur some time .and some time it may be due to faulty cable

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
this heat produced in the cable is due to insufficient earth problem that means every electronic item should have a neutral and ground if there is no ground connection this may occur some time .and some time it may be due to faulty cable

Fail. This is not a mains cable. The 'earth' in a USB and other low voltage cables is known as 0V or nought volts and is a reference point for any plus or minus voltage being used.

It is also commonly used as a common earthing point but is not a mains voltage earth, though sometimes used in conjunction with.

Ask a Question