Windows Vista Hope this is the right plasce to post this. Need to convert .WAV files to MP3 or..

Reaction score
Hi. My user name is Fmaker. I run Windows Vista Ultimate with Windows Live onecare for antivirus and spyware. My system specs are in my signiture.
Anyway, my dilema is this. I have a lot of live music on cassette and I used my SoundBlaster and the software that came with it called, "Creative Smart Recorder" to transfer the casettes to my hard drive. I made them into .wav files. The person I did this for, has a Sony Stereo that is about 10 to 12 years old. I burned the .wav files to CD but his older Sony CD player doesn't see them. Can anyone tell me of a program that will work with Vista that can convert these files to a format that an older CD player will be able to read? I am trying not to have to re-record all of this music, It's about 10 hours of music. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance and appoligies if I posted this in the wrong thread.
Fmaker:)
I did a Forum search but found nothing on this before I posted..

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The bad news is, is that an older CD player will only read the same format as a brand new CD player. And that would include a CD player purchased in 1982.

Fact is, older CD players have problems reading some CD-R's and that's where your problem lies, I think.

There is no software available to make home made CD's be read by older CD players.

The problem is in the technology.

Sad to say, if your friend wants to hear these recordings they're going to have to buy a new CD player :(

Reaction score
He is a recording artist on Shanachie Entertainment Corp. Everytime he goes into record, he gets copies of the days work transfered on to CD to take home and they play on his older CD player just fine. THe CD's I make also play just fine in my DVD player and my 1999 Cadillac just fine. Maybe I am just not getting them finalized correctly. I'll try to transfer one of the tapes to MP3. Didn't want to have to do it cause it takes 3 hours. 90 minutes each side... THat is why I wanted to convert the .wav files to MP3 files to see if that would work. I can not find a program to do that. Not even on google, unless I want to put out $90.00 U.S. for the program. I don't have that kind of money right now. Just thought one of you would know of some reliable free ware or trial versions that can do this.

Ask a Question