Homemade Air Conditioner

Reaction score
I started building one the other day.It has 1 Cooler master with speed adjust & 4 redundant heatsinks with the fans removed.I need to make the heatsink part waterproof so It can be put in ice.As the heatsinks conduct cold very well this should work much better than the box/fan/ice solution posted earlier.

I need to put all this in a tub & seal the end where the air comes out.This idea also gets rid of the humidity problem.The blue part in the picture would be ice & the heatsinks would be waterproofed with a plastic bag or something.

UPDATE>>>> What am I thinking!!! The heat has really got to me.I don't need to seal anything as I can just put the ice in bags.

cooler.JPG

Last edited:

Fib

Reaction score
Here is my prototype of A/C :cool: :

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 4,043
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 2,739
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,792
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,580
Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Fib said:
Here is my prototype of A/C :cool: :
Welcome to the site Fib,

I can't seem to view the images as the site seems to be down. You can attach them to a post if you want and then they should work :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Looks good too! Good method of cooling it down! :D Might give that a go

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
pinehead said:
How do you power the 90MM fan?

Thank you
Anthony
12 volts DC :D

Batteries (expensive)

Bench power supply (good idea)

15V transformer/bridge rectifier/two big electrolytic capacitors/voltage regulator/box (cheap and bestest)

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Ian and the rest of the homemade air Conditioning Clan...

I know were nearly a year down the line but i read this thread and seeing as summer is only 1 to 2 months away ti'l it starts heating up again, i was wondering if you actually started and finished your stage II project for this summer, i know you have been busy this year with your studies and workload from pc review.

I would also like to hear about if any of the other guys namely chris done anymore modifications to his conditioner, and got it running more efficiently....

I need to do the same for this summer as well you see, so need all the idea's i can get... (share the knowledge)...

But i have seen a conditioner from Argos which runs exactly along the same lines by using an ice draw to cool the air in a room and it's not too expensive in my opinion... what do you guys think......

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...atalogId=3151&productId=128962&clickfrom=name

Would it be worth getting do you think....;)

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
At 50 quid it does look reaonable, but not nearly as satisfying as creating your own at a fraction of that price.

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

At this point we are nearly a year down the line here but I stumbled on to this yesterday morning ......I ahve of course been thinking of ways to make an AC of my own and I was wondering if ya'll had made any improvements or had any suggestions.............rlly rlly rlly hot here in texas right now

Reaction score
YES,
I AHVE DONE IT
2 120mm case fans running off of a computer PSU.........large amounts ofd air...........several hundred CFM........use water in frozen bottles.......less on the humidity factor..........anyway thought I would let you all kno although you are probaly well into the thermal mechanics and have started your own AC company by now lol

Reaction score
all sounds good guys - but above the ice box u need to hang a peice of cloth over it and that whay the ice melts slower and the water that evapourate will be collected by the clost and will drip down in to a tray that is placed under the ice box

this way it should last longer.

also if using a cardboard box u could seal it up with pva glue - or use a plastic box

Reaction score
Sorry to revive an old thread, but it's getting filthy hot out! This thread helped me last year and I just finished putting together my latest attempt at cheap air conditioning.

Check it out at: http://www.eng.uwaterloo.ca/~gmilburn/ac/

Less than 25 bucks to build, runs on water, and keeps a room cool for 1-3 hours.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
esuperbo said:
Sorry to revive an old thread, but it's getting filthy hot out! This thread helped me last year and I just finished putting together my latest attempt at cheap air conditioning.

Check it out at: http://www.eng.uwaterloo.ca/~gmilburn/ac/

Less than 25 bucks to build, runs on water, and keeps a room cool for 1-3 hours.

Haha, that is a brilliant build! Well done :D

Reaction score
I'm going to build this, Seriously, why didn't someone tell me about this when I posted my thread about pc or space heater???

I'm going to combine a lot of your ideas, tell me what you think...
Going to use a decent sized plastic cooler(no leakage)
2-4 180mm fans.....for now powered by old PSU (want to use a few rechargable 9v bateries with a 12v converter later)
Going to use several small water bottles, lined up in rows.
And for the humidity control....I'm going to use damp rid (i mention this stuff every time we talk about moisture control)
Thats everythihg right?.....
If I'm missing anything let me know.... also going to post a link and some pics of "Damp Rid" so we all know what I'm talking about.
www.damprid.com/

Attachments

• damprid.jpg
    damprid.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 785

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Full marks for creativity and a job well done esuperbo...but the obscene amounts of water used in this exercise just doesn't warrant me building any thing like this...

I have the environment to think about, not least my water bills....:eek:

8/10 for effort though....:D

Reaction score
re

ive built one too...

Its a big polystyrene box full of iced water with a pump. the pump pumps the frozen water around copper coils on the front of a fan...

pictures i think...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 608
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 1,035
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 1,038
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 1,364
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 6,185

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Nice one...You gotta keep those Ice cubes filled up though....:p

Reaction score
you would think so wouldent you...

in the picture (unfortunatly the one that dosent work (you can just about see from the little preview)) there is a copper coil ontop of the box... i plan to mount this inside the tank, so that the warm water that returns is run around the coil to allow it to cool down before being released back into the main body of the tank. This will reduce the ice metlage (hopefully)

i am also investigating taking a radiator off the back of a old freezer and building a big case with a radiator infrong and one behind a bigarse fan....

although its only hot enough to need it for about one week a year here anyway!

Pete - From sunny England

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Well keep up with the projects pete..were all interested in keeping cool for peanuts so if you crack it, let us have the plans and we'll be gratefull, especially as its over 30c in my room at this exact moment in time....:p And i'm from sunny England...:D

Ask a Question