Home Page Hi-Jacked

Andy Taylor

Ok, try this one,

my start page has been changed to "about:blank" this
brings up some kind of funky search page. I can change my
home page back to "Yahoo.com" and it is fine for the
duration of that session, but when I restart IE, my start
up page is "about:blank" again. I ran spybot but nothing
changed.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Don Varnau

Andy,
This is being caused by a parasite/hijacker.

From Control Panel> Internet Options> Advanced> uncheck "Enable third party
browser extensions." That should allow IE to work.

You might also be able to browse and download programs from the address bar
of Windows Explorer.

Download and run Run CWShredder from
CWShredder is only about 125 KB so it could be downloaded from another
machine onto a floppy disk if necessary. CWShredder should fix the "about
blank" problem.

Then download, install, *update* and run both of these programs:
Ad-aware from http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/
Spybot from http://security.kolla.de/ (Remove items listed in red-others are
optional.)
Both programs should be updated after installation- before use.

Security tips and other information at:
Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

You should re-enable browser extensions after the cleanup.

Don
--
MVP IE/OE
Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may participate.

"Andy Taylor" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

H Leboeuf

Check for this parasite. Get the removal tool.

CoolWebSearch - CWS http://www.spywareinfo.com/articles/cws/
More: Complete list by variant with up-to-date information.
More: Removal tool: http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/cwshredder.zip
More: Removal tool:
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/vbs.bootconf.html
--