Home page conflicts

Rob Giordano \(Crash\)

Howdy all...

Can't seem to get my localhost home page and my linux host home page shaking
hands and playing nice.

The linux box requires index.html and localhost wants Default.htm

So I went into IIS for localhost to this particular web Properties |
Documents and added index.html to the top of the Default Document list.
Which now allows me to have index.html on local web BUT I lose my little
house icon for Home page...and it's really not the Home page...if I try to
make it Home (right click make home) it will switch back to Default.htm.
Soooo what am I doing wrong?

Was I supposed to remove the default pages from the Documents list?? or am
in the wrong place altogether?

Murray, hand me a Foster's willya?

Jens Peter Karlsen[FP-MVP]

Index.html must be the very first entry in the list or FP wont use it.
Rightclick Make Home only works with discbased Webs. For Server based
Webs it is the Server that desides it.

Regards Jens Peter Karlsen. Microsoft MVP - Frontpage.

Ronx

I just played this game - stop and start the webserver, close and
re-open the web in FrontPage. Then the index.html will be accepted as
Home Page.

Rob Giordano \(Crash\)

Didn't work. I still don't get the little house on index.html so FPs not
letting index.html really be the homepage or in Navigation either. In IIS I
even removed default.htm(l) from the list entirely !

Clue? : When I look in IIS at this particular web the icon does not appear
as my other web, it looks like a plain folder, the other web in Default Web
the icon looks like a tiny globe inside a gray opened cardboard box (new one
on me). But, it does have a globe on it when viewing it from /localhost

Rob Giordano \(Crash\)

Re: Home page conflictsHi Jens.
Yah, I made index.html the first, index.htm the second, and removed both default.htm & html and it still wont recognize index.html as the home page ( I dont get the cute little house icon).

Index.html must be the very first entry in the list or FP wont use it.
Rightclick Make Home only works with discbased Webs. For Server based Webs it is the Server that desides it.

Regards Jens Peter Karlsen. Microsoft MVP - Frontpage.

Mark Fitzpatrick

The gray box with a globe in it means that the directory is marked as it's
own application. A plain folder should indicate that the folder in question
is not an FP web.

Where are you setting the index.html as the main file? Make sure that you
are setting it at the Default Web level since this is may have an effect
when it doesn't work for the FP web itself (and also try to set the
index.html in the FP web just in case).

Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

Rob Giordano \(Crash\)

Thanks Mark, I was setting it on the 'ballet' web (see my link in other
msg). Ok I see what you mean to set it on Default Web and I will try that
next.

Question now being how will that effect the other 'sirius' web which
publishes to a windows box requiring Defaultl.htm as the home page?

Rob Giordano \(Crash\)

OK! (I think)

I added index.html to Default Web Documents and I have my little home icon
back in the localhost ballet web.

I did lose Navigation, but think I can deal with that.

ballet web folder still appears as plain folder in IIS (see image link in
other post).

and, I still having trouble stopping/starting/restarting IIS Admin.

THANKS !

R,

Ronx

Rob
That structure is an exact match for my Localhost server (except the
folder/files names are different).

I have just replayed the home page rename game again - add
Tools->Recalculate Hyperlinks in FrontPage, to the instructions, and
you do not have to close FP. I have Default.htm at the top of the
list of documents with index.html added to the bottom. Stop/Start
IIS, then recalc. hyperlinks in FP, and FP will accept index.html as
Home page. It does give a warning about changing the name, but no
problems.

Rob Giordano \(Crash\)

Yah I finally got it sorted, I hope it stays that way...definitely googy.
I don't remember having problems like that with PWS years ago.

Now all that remains is for me to fix the Naviagation...sheesh.

Stefan B Rusynko

In the FP web in Folder List or Folder View right click the page you want as home page and select Set as home page to get the home
icon in it

--

| Yah I finally got it sorted, I hope it stays that way...definitely googy.
| I don't remember having problems like that with PWS years ago.
|
| Now all that remains is for me to fix the Naviagation...sheesh.
|

| | > Rob
| > That structure is an exact match for my Localhost server (except the
| > folder/files names are different).
| >
| > I have just replayed the home page rename game again - add
| > Tools->Recalculate Hyperlinks in FrontPage, to the instructions, and
| > you do not have to close FP. I have Default.htm at the top of the
| > list of documents with index.html added to the bottom. Stop/Start
| > IIS, then recalc. hyperlinks in FP, and FP will accept index.html as
| > Home page. It does give a warning about changing the name, but no
| > problems.
| > --
| > Ron Symonds
| > Microsoft MVP (FrontPage)
| > Reply only to group - emails will be deleted unread.
| >
| > message | >> Does this structure look correct to anyone?
| >>
| >> ballet is a web
| >> sirius is a web
| >>
| >> ballet is the one I'm having trouble with the home page issue
| >>
| >> http://www.siriussystems.com/images/iis_tree.jpg
| >>
| >> thanks
| >>
| >> rob

Rob Giordano \(Crash\)

I had tried that several times, but something musta got messed up when I was
going back and forth with the index/default homepage settings in IIS.
Somewhere along the process I may have tried to down-publish from the live
server and I "think" FP may have merged my navs...maybe. Anyway, tried
recalculate on both servers (local & remote)...I think theyre gone gone.

Doesnt really matter as I hated the structure- I was using navs create by
fp - this just forces me to redo them, which I should have done months ago
:)

I'm thinking of just doing Custom Link Bars in and include page until I can
figure out how to use javascript there.