Home Network Puzzle

P

PT

We have three WinXP Home computers hooked into a MS Windows Network : (MSHome). They're linked through three Ethernet cables, each tied to our DSL modem.

We had no problems when we had just two computers. We've added a third, made sure the network parameters were identical, checked that each computer has a distinctive four letter name. Here's what's happening;

When on each computer we click My Network Places | Entire Network | MS Windows Network | MSHome, and expand the +, we see all three computers on each computer. But denoting the three as A, B, and C, computer B can access the shared folders on all three. However, Computers A and C, while each can access computer B, cannot access each other. If we try clicking on the computer icon, we get the message :

"A is not accessible. You might not have permission to access this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server".

It has to be something simple and probably obvious (although not to me).

Please advise.

M

Mike Hyndman

We have three WinXP Home computers hooked into a MS Windows Network : (MSHome). They're linked through three Ethernet cables, each tied to our DSL modem.

We had no problems when we had just two computers. We've added a third, made sure the network parameters were identical, checked that each computer has a distinctive four letter name. Here's what's happening;

When on each computer we click My Network Places | Entire Network | MS Windows Network | MSHome, and expand the +, we see all three computers on each computer. But denoting the three as A, B, and C, computer B can access the shared folders on all three. However, Computers A and C, while each can access computer B, cannot access each other. If we try clicking on the computer icon, we get the message :

"A is not accessible. You might not have permission to access this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server".

Please advise.
--

PT

Have you tried running the Network setup wizard on all three computers?
Are the firewall exceptions identical on all PC's?

MH

P

PT

The firewalls were the problem. After the defaults on the new computer (A)
were reset, the problem went away.

We have three WinXP Home computers hooked into a MS Windows Network :
(MSHome). They're linked through three Ethernet cables, each tied to our DSL
modem.

We had no problems when we had just two computers. We've added a third,
made sure the network parameters were identical, checked that each computer
has a distinctive four letter name. Here's what's happening;

When on each computer we click My Network Places | Entire Network | MS
Windows Network | MSHome, and expand the +, we see all three computers on
each computer. But denoting the three as A, B, and C, computer B can access
the shared folders on all three. However, Computers A and C, while each can
access computer B, cannot access each other. If we try clicking on the
computer icon, we get the message :

"A is not accessible. You might not have permission to access this
network resource. Contact the administrator of this server".

Please advise.
--

PT

Have you tried running the Network setup wizard on all three computers?
Are the firewall exceptions identical on all PC's?

MH

M

Mike Hyndman

PT said:
The firewalls were the problem. After the defaults on the new computer
(A) were reset, the problem went away.

Thanks for the update.

Regards

MH

Ask a Question