Home Cinema software

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Here is a nicely detailed article on several different media centre softwares.

http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/issues/2009/100/home_cinema

happywave.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Must be media day , here is another good software for media centers. Not just for Linux it has excellent cross platform versions.

http://xbmc.org/about/

Multi-platform, Internationalized, and Localized

XBMC is a cross-platform software available for Linux, Mac OS X (Leopard, Tiger, and Apple TV), Microsoft Windows operating-system, as well as the original Xbox game-console. With translations to over 30 languages for a worldwide audience. All versions of course completely free of any adware or spyware.​

• XBMC for Linux
  • XBMC for Mac
  • XBMC for Windows
  • XBMC for Xbox
  • XBMC Live

Community

Over 50 developers have contributed to XBMC, and over 100 translators have worked to expand its reach. XBMC was created by created by a group of like minded back in 2003. XBMC Community Forum today have over 30,000 registered members, nad XBMC had already an estimated userbase of over one million daily end-users when it was only running on the the Xbox platform, and now that XBMC runs nativly on several other platforms as well we estimate that that the userbase have growed exponentionally.​

User-friendliness that is Next To Godliness

XBMC is easy to install and setup, and its many beautiful custom user interfaces offers simple very intuitive navigation which are very convenient and flexible, adding to great price verses performance ratio when installed on cheap hardware to this best in class software. With and experience surpases all retail media center systems.​

happywave.gif

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Must be media day , here is another good software for media centers. Not just for Linux it has excellent cross platform versions.

http://xbmc.org/about/

happywave.gif

Hi AB,
I was just checking out that XBMC stuff the last 48hours wishing i hadnt given away me old xbox 2 weeks ago....i should keep everything forever....anyway it looks like a good media system.
Zzzzz

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I do rather like the media centre software in Vista to be quite honest. It's the same as the software used in Windows XP Media Edition.

I also have media centre software on my XP/AMD machine within the full version of Nero 8. It looks good but I haven't used it much, if at all.

Oddly enough, on my media machine I have no media software at all :D Except Windows XP Media player but all that will change when I'll hopefully start using Windows 7 and then use my copy of Vista on my media machine.

As for Linux I don't have any distros installed atm but I may very well come back to those links when I do if I'm not happy with what Linux Mint has to offer.

Ask a Question