High resolution monitor px/inch

Reaction score
Hi all,
This is my first post here and would really appreciate your advice. I apologise in advance if this post is too long but I am confused.

I have an oldish Dell laptop with a 15inch screen – which is actually 12in x 9inches. I upgraded the screen when I bought it. I use it at a resolution of 1400x1050. This gives me small but very clear text. A bit of arithmetic says that this screen has 117 pixels/inch and a dot pitch of 0.217mm.

What I want is a larger wide screen, preferably 22inch, that has the same characteristics as the Dell. Again a bit of maths suggests I need about 2200x1350 or better.

My problem is that all the 22in screens seem to be 1680x1050 which gives about 90px/in and have a dot pitch of about .28mm.

Any ideas where I might find what I am after?

Maybe I should say that the larger screen is for a new computer and will be used mainly for business (spreadsheet and database) work. I realise that I will have to be careful what video card I use.

Thanks for your help. Peter

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
There are quite a few 1920 x 1200 22" monitors around, and I think that's probably the closest you'll get without spending thousands on a WQXGA monitor.

This search lists quite a few, and the prices don't seem too much higher:

http://www.google.co.uk/products?q="1920+x+1200"+22"&show=dd

The resolution up from that would be 2560×1600, but I've only seen it on 30" monitors.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Haven't got a clue what you are on about with the pixel's etc . I have a Dell 24" and you can set the text to be a big or small as you like also you can use a lot of different screen resolutions . its big enough to have two full size windows open side by side and you can spin it 90 degrees so that you can view long documents .Its a bit expensive but there are some very good cheaper 24" monmitors out there . I use a lowly Radeon 9800 SE 128 MB graphics card and things run just fine with it .

http://www.dvhardware.net/review93_dell_2407wfp.html

happywave.gif

Reaction score
High res screen

Ian,

Thanks for the quick reply. 1920x1200 is better but does not get me there. Even WQXGA on a 30" screen is only about .25mm dot pitch. What it seems I want is WQXGA on a 22" or 24" sceen but it does not seem to exist.

Oh well never mind. Thanks for the help anyway - it stops me looking for the unfindable:)

Peter

Ask a Question