Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware, microsoft..public.win2000.windows_update
From: Daniel R. Rhodes <[email protected]> - Find messages by this author
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 19:39:19 GMT
Subject: High CPU Idle Temp SP4 Rollup 1 V2

Hi Gang,

After updating my windows 2000 desktop to SP4 rollup 1 V2 from SP4
rollup 1, my CPU temperature while basically idling has risen to about
the temperature when it was almost running 100%.

Before SP4 rollup 1 V2, typical idle temperature was about 40C; 100% was
about 55C

After SP4 rollup 1 V2, typical idle temperature is about 54C; 100% is
about 59C.

I suspect the difference in 100% temperatures is due to previously not
running at 100% for long enough to reach the 59C.

This is using an Intel P4 3.0 GHz CPU on an Intel D865PERLK motherboard.
Task manager and performance monitor show CPU utilization of 1% at idle.
Running task manager in the process tab and sorting by CPU usage shows
System Idle process at idle to be about 98%-99%.

I did notice a previous thread about a similar problem with the original
SP4 rollup 1 causing high CPU idle temperatures and it seemed to be
traced to an HID dll. But the thread died with no reports of what was
found to solve the problem except to remove the update. I have not
tried to solve the problem other than looking for high CPU usage (which
wasn't found).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

tnx, drr